Sign in to follow this  
Colt.1911

worst controls ever

This game has to have one of the worst controls schemes I've seen in recent history. The only thing worse that comes to mind is scarface which wouldnt let you remap any controls.

There is waaaaaaaay too many controls, and you have to go to a different screen to remap. On that screen you have to click on each and every keymap, and delete the mapping. I have actually spent more time screwing with controls than playing the game. And maybe its just me, but I cant seem to remember 180 keymaps. What the heck do I need to salute or sit down for?? Thats retarded. I'm sure there are many more retarded controls. There is NO jump to get over small obsticles. Then they chose to double up on controls, like you press crouch to crouch, but it doesnt toggle, so I have to press another key to stand up!?!? There are several common controls that are doubled up. why?huh.gif?huh.gif I seem to need 18 fingers on each hand. I havent seen this many controls since I played a flight sim. right control key cant be mapped. Bohemia seem to be wasd babies. right mouse doesnt work when mapped to move forward, and I get a mysterious lag ONLY when in a vehicle. After a half hour of gameplay I decided to take the game back. I played Close Combat: First to Fight awhile back, it is a much much much much better 'combat sim'

Good luck Bohemia, on your next title I wont even bother to buy (and take back).

i dont think the controls are complicated.. there are many keys indeed but you dont need to use them all once you have more then 1 key for the same movement.

you dont neeed exactly all keys to be selected.

i have the same keys i had in OFP + the new movements they implemented such as fast evasive, roll over and lean.. i dont use more then those new keys. the rest is similar to ofp.

edit: typo

i don't believe this! icon_rolleyes.gif this game has got a lot of issues, but the controls surely aren't one of them.

this game plays like any other game of this type. i've got news for you: you don't need to use all the keys, you know? the keys are there, and you pick those out you need and leave the rest alone.

i play with W-A-S-D, Q-E, Y-X-C for moving, peeking, changing stance. this is the same as in any other tactical shooter, and it doesn't get any easier than this.

but if this is already too complicated for you, you should go back to Tetris. whistle.gif

If you don't need actions like sitting down or saluting you don't have to map them. Do you know that?

One more thing: Actions like these (sitting, saluting) are a great addition for people who like to make movies.

I don't agree one bit!

The controls in this game are best I have ever seen!

I love games with tons of controls. When you get them down there is just so much more dynamic gameplay to be found.

BIS are not interested in making a BF2 clone. So if you want to play realistic war gaming this is it. If you are put off by the controls the game itslef will probably not appeal to you. The controls are the easy part :P

You'd be better off playing CS or BF2 (which are excellent arcade shooter).

I havent seen this many controls since I played a flight sim. right control key cant be mapped.

You said it yourself.

You need to consider ArmA as a sim, not as the average WASD-shooter.

I think Arma control is not that complecated, but some controls can still be improved. For example, I think it is really not neccessery for infantry to have a stand up key, all it need is to make prone and crouch key toggleable.  Also, this way we could map the original stand up key for another more useful function.  just my thought smile_o.gif

I'm having a little bit hard time adjust from ofp for arma, I always accidentaly cancel my scope or ironsight view while right clicking to report target.  tounge2.gif

The truth is ARMA has a lot of unecessary controls, and stuff that you simply don't need. They went from the simple OFP stuff to ARMA.

For example, instead of using the mouse wheel for commands like salute, you have a button, which is stupid.

Once you bother to rename all the controls, its not that bad, but still stupid. I don't play it for other reasons though.

Its funny, the devs say they are gamers, yet no gamer uses their default controls. What kind of gamer uses space for commands? Space should be like in OFP, for changing the weapon.

i have no prob with the controls...u just need some time to get used to it.

and i play nearly every game with the default control settings, cause its mostly the best controls.

changing the controls in ArmA just causes errors, there are so many of them that you need really a long time to change them all, so i just play with default, save me time to get used to them! wink_o.gif

oh comon...

The more things we can map to the keyboard the better!

F is the default for switching weapons for more games than any other key and Space is default for none other than ofp...

Going from ofp to arma is a bit of a change, yeah, but since when is change necessarily bad, and certainly not a big deal.

And there's a GOOD reason why not to have a completely overloaded action bar (scroll button)! In ofp it could take forever to scroll through all the options. Man, I don't want to have to scroll through a bloody menu to GET OUT OF A VEHICLE.. it's ridiculous. "oh no! my plane is going down, eject eject eject!, ... where is that eject..." Therefor I want to map those to a ctrl+something. Ctrl combo's seem broken in 1.04 though, bummer, but I'm sure that'll be fixed.

Go play a flight sim like Lock On Modern Air Combat (lomac) for a couple of months or something. It has more keys than you can shake a stick at. By the time you're good at it you'll know over 60 key combo's and you'll use them all regularly.

This is a simulation. Simulations are complex by nature. They always have a long learning period. If you didn't know what you were getting into, you can only blame yourself.

edit:

"I always accidentaly cancel my scope or ironsight view while right clicking to report target. "

That one I do agree with. Though I think many people think this option is nice. I disabled it. V for scope. RMB for zoom.

Quote[/b] ]"I always accidentaly cancel my scope or ironsight view while right clicking to report target. "

That one I do agree with. Though I think many people think this option is nice. I disabled it. V for scope. RMB for zoom.

This one is just something you can get used to, had this for 1-2days since then I never had this problem, there's a big difference between 'click' and 'hold' mouse button and I'm glad there is, only gives you more options smile_o.gif Only thing that I changed is the 'hold breath' I don't always want to hold my breath while zooming to check surrounding

I wish the controls were easier. There, I said it.

BIS is making a complex game with many options. I've heard some complaining but very little explaining how to fix it. And the what suggestions I do see I don't like much.

Maybe there is a better way to implement all the commands. Just don't take anything away.

The key for me is to play the game until I know the keyboard.

Good luck - pratice from the editor

The ArmA controls are fine. Who cares what the default controls are, you can change them.

I bet the original poster of this thread wont even come back, he's probably a Battlefield player or something tounge2.gif .

Feels fine to me. The crouch, kneel & stand are how I had JointOps so it feels like a mix of OFP & JO. I really like the double tap for leaning/walking, etc. that lets you either do a quick one or hold it. Only change I made was used an extra mouse button for free look.

The truth is ARMA has a lot of unecessary controls, and stuff that you simply don't need. They went from the simple OFP stuff to ARMA.

For example, instead of using the mouse wheel for commands like salute, you have a button, which is stupid.

Once you bother to rename all the controls, its not that bad, but still stupid. I don't play it for other reasons though.

Its funny, the devs say they are gamers, yet no gamer uses their default controls. What kind of gamer uses space for commands? Space should be like in OFP, for changing the weapon.

In a combat situation, if I can chose between salute in the mousewheel menu or on a button I wouldn't press for anything else anyway, I'll go with the button anytime. Why clogging up the mouse wheel menu with stuff I won't need fast? I'm more interested in changing weapons, getting in or out of a vehicle than saluting that enemy soldier, that turns into my direction, by accident.

Btw., I've changed one setting (appart from mouse sensitivity and such) and that was holding breath. I even like the spacebar, my thumb is always around there and if I have to issue quick orders it's good, double tap it and may press "-" on the numblock (that's where my other hand is close to) to get a better overview of the situation, I'm actually fine with that.

Well, obviously I'm that strange type of gamer you dislike. I didn't play OFP or whatever that much to evolve some kind of a "this is right, everything else must be wrong" mindset, I'm sorry for that. Pushing buttons for certain actions will always be a substitute and therefore a compromise, if somebody doesn't like it, that's what options are made for. Actually, because of that, I think it's all just a matter of getting used to a controll scheme, as long one can reach the buttons that are often needed easily, it just needs time to memorize it, after that there's no thinking involved. It may feel strange at the start, but the human brain is great at such things, just think about stuff like the experiments with goggles that turn the vision upside down, the brain get's used to it in a matter of days and will turn it back correctly.

After all, I press a button on my keyboard and the guy on my screen does something completely different, that can't be right!

Don't like the game at all (and there are good reasons for)? Play something else you like. You like nothing? Well, bad luck I guess, spam some forums or something similar. wink_o.gif

This was my truth.

Your truth may be only that, your truth! wink_o.gif

Controls overall are fine in IMO, i only have 3 gripes:

1. Heli controls: ive given up trying to fly em , bring back the OFP flight model as AN OPTION i dont care if ppl whinge that it was "Arcadish", its now impossible to fly a chopper with mouse/keyboard and is hardly helping make the game more accesible to the masses.

2. Returning to crouched position after sprinting: Im getting really miffed having to re-crouch after a sprint.

3. prone delay: Im not feeling the delay it takes to hit the dirt, there seems to be  a 2 sec delay between the keystroke and result.

Though I haven't yet worked out how ot fly the choppers safely (the game doesn't recognise my pedals), I'm now very used to the controls of of ArmA.

I was put off by the vast number of them at the beginning, but to make it simpler, I deleted all the mappings and added things in as and when I saw a need for them. Simple.

There's still lots I don't use and that's fine by me because there's often two ways of doing things.

It helps that I always remap all controls anyway in every game. Never ever used WASD since the original Elite release and before. In fact to make room for joystick etc, I always move my keyboard way out left for my left hand so I use the cursor keys, the numeric keypad and the right side of the main keys.

I was relieved to be able to copy key assignment file straight over from the demo with only a couple of minor glitches.

-Fenix out

3. prone delay: Im not feeling the delay it takes to hit the dirt, there seems to be  a 2 sec delay between the keystroke and result.

Prone delay...

1. It could be your video card rendering too many frames ahead.

2. It could be that you're not noticing the act of going prone is occurring. Check it out on 3rd-person view.

I haven`t tried it with the demo, but I used to use M$ Gamevoice to command my soldiers in Flashpoint. I used GV in Mechwarrior to command my lance using voice alone, and thought maybe it might work for FP cause of all the controls used to command.

And say by Golly, it worked awesome. So, peeps may wanna try Game Voice, or Gamecommander. It might save your life. ;0) ;0)

Prone delay...

1. It could be your video card rendering too many frames ahead.

2. It could be that you're not noticing the act of going prone is occurring.  Check it out on 3rd-person view.

Its not Gfx related this problem was also present in OFP (tho not as noticible) It is an animation transition problem, no other action incurrs this delay.

I was hoping that if would have been fixed in 1.04 confused_o.gif

I do love the fact that almost every command can be set individually. This just gives out more opportunities for the user. Commands that you don't need can be left blank, that doesn't hurt anybody.

I have only two major gripes about the keys.

1. That damn ctrl key... why in the name of hell can it not be used for proning??  banghead.gif I'm a cursor key player so I really really need the ctrl key!!

2. Crouch/stand toggle would be better than individual keys.

Uhm... I use the cursor keys too and I use right ctrl for assuming the prone position. Maybe it's a problem with your version? I use v1.03

Hello,

i have to admit ive not read all the previous posts, but to me, if anything, the controls have been dumbed down too much.

ever tried getting in a chopper? the amount of times i end up gearing up is amazing.

As a sim I can understand folk who are new to the game getting confused, but spend just a little time getting your keys sorted and it's a joy.

Compared to BF2 (which has the most evil config Ive ever encountered) , Arma is much nicer. Although not perfect.

rgds

LoK

The more controls the better. A game with no options "is a game with no options". Remember you heard it first. Over and out!

PACO454