Sign in to follow this  
TheUser

Anyone else feel a bit put off by the controls?

Why are the control mechanics so different in feel compared to the good old OFP controls? Sure leaning is nice and raising and lowering the weapon but why is does everything else feel so difficult?

E.g.

The kneel button doesn't return to standing pose when I press it again.

Flying a helicopter is like balancing an elephant on a toothpick. In OFP the choppers where a delight to fly; intuitive but you needed some skills to pull off awesome maneuvers.

Why didn't the devs just copy-paste the code for the controls? Why change something when it's not broken?

Anyone else feel the same? Any tips on how to make the controls the most OFP-like?

Because they wanted to make progress.

It took a bit to get use to the new controls, but after a bit of playing, I find I like them more than OFP..

And for the helicopters.. ArmA is FAR better than OFP.

Because they wanted to make progress.

It took a bit to get use to the new controls, but after a bit of playing, I find I like them more than OFP..

And for the helicopters.. ArmA is FAR better than OFP.

I agree completely smile_o.gif

Once ur used to them, they're great. Main thing ihad to get used to was the prone/crouch/stand controls.. but they're fine for me now smile_o.gif i prefer them infact.

And the flight model ROCKS, no question about it.

to the opening poster there they still have the old controls like "hit crouch once and u crouch down. hit it again and u get back up again" there are many ways to "prone" or "crouch" in the game. read through the controls setup and you shall find. i felt sad that it was gone till i spent more time setting the stuff up.

and with the choppers i'm just gonna asume that they wanted to have a more realistic feel for flying cause in RL you would need to balance it on your own without any help of some fancy computer.

I just got the game i was confused by the controls,

first i spent about 2 hrs trying to figure out why my joystick wouldnt work,, (because i had a gamepad in and it wont work with two, oh i hope they fix that quick cuz that blows) then im not sure which bind i should use,, you got "turn left bank left and pedal left, i remember only two why is there now three and in a helicopter whats the difference between turn left and left pedal? huh.gif

takes awhile but then i think there good!!

its like u have more control of your soldier! wink_o.gif

I like the new FM, the blackhawk is a deligth to fly (most of the time) but the cobra is what i have a real problem with, maybe its better with a joystick but i know tryin to control it with a mouse is fuggin pointless, i love this game and it pains me to point out its failings but the cobra is unforgivable considering they had so long to polish the control system for it and add to that the uh60 is actually quite good i just cant understand how they got the cobra so wrong

Since BIS and the creators of TrackIR are very close, I doubt we will see anything like we were used to in OFP.

I dont see why BIS couldnt keep those that want to spend a fortune on Tir (and a Joystick etc) AND the guys that want to use a keyboard and mouse happy (with a joypad or joystick thrown in for good measure)..... Well, I can see why.. Shhhh.

Im happy enough with Infantry movement, however, choppers are a bit of a pain.. sad_o.gif

#C

Only problem ive got is my mouse seems to be a bit laggy or a sorta delay, its like i take aim at someone using the ironsight and it goes to the sides of them or shit dunno how to describe it really sorta feels like the mouse movement isnt direct but sorta delayed.

I have the freeaim turned off (floating area) and i have a G5 Laser Mouse and it only happens in ArmA.

dont mind flying em too much ,,,getting better ,,its landing ,ur ontheground and it keeps moving turns sideways and filps.and trying to get the al to reload you, or fuel or fix damage.and your ai gunner wont shoot for some reason ,,,same in tanks see that t72 ,,shoot it with main gun not mg you noob why.

The controls of most FPSs have made people expect ultra sharp response from their in-video character. I'm happy that ArmA has character movement that seems like a 200 lb human carrying a 10 pound rifle than a gnat on crack. It's not perfect but don't compare it to CS and call it flawed.

And there is no "kneel" key. There is a "set stance to crouched" key you may be confusing it with and it works brilliantly every time.

The UH60 controls from OFP were not "a joy" they were flattering, easy maybe, but not a joy in the sense they didn't fly anything like a real helo. Again, not perfect but I give BIS points for "degree of difficulty attempted."

well i said ages b4 that the FM is perfect for the harrier, but not as superb if you put on a chopper, yet its still very much playable, and sure as hell keep real noobs who couldnt keep control on the OFP FM to use it tounge2.gif

I like the character movement ok, I noticed that the better your computer the more responsive the feel.

The chopper controls have a larger learning curve this time but many people forget how odd they felt at first with OFP.

Now they have a whole new feel. It's not just learning the controls, it's getting a feel for the motion and responce. I truely injoy flying and have practiced until I stopped crashing. Now I can land without computer help (not quickly though).

I still need lots of practice but thats part of the fun.

i got used to the controls. They look nice after a while of use but theres 1 thing that im still waiting, hopeing it comes in the next new patch.

The force feedback on the joystick when we pilot a chopper or a plane.

The problem about the controls of the choppers and planes are exactly that.

We don't feel a thing on the joystick when we do a manouver. We only feel the joystick tremble when we start the engine. after that the joystick has no life..

hope BIS fix these realistic feelings and some other simulations while we fly..

thats what i have to say about the controls. smile_o.gif

i got used to the controls. They look nice after a while of use but theres 1 thing that im still waiting, hopeing it comes in the next new patch.

The force feedback on the joystick when we pilot a chopper or a plane.

The problem about the controls of the choppers and planes are exactly that.

We don't feel a thing on the joystick when we do a manouver. We only feel the joystick tremble when we start the engine. after that the joystick has no life..

hope BIS fix these realistic feelings and some other simulations while we fly..

thats what i have to say about the controls.  smile_o.gif

wouldnt that be a little bit too...........erm........a little bit too much? icon_rolleyes.gif

I can't seem to find any way to toggle crouch. Anyone wanna point it out to me?

I've always taken OFP to be a military combat/soldier sim, not a vehicle simulator. Heck, even the infantry "simulation" is still way off if all you want is pure realism. To me it's always been about the realistic situations, combat scenarios and the fact that you're just a tiny part of a huge war machine...

Flying a helicopter is like balancing an elephant on a toothpick. In OFP the choppers where a delight to fly; intuitive but you needed some skills to pull off awesome maneuvers.

I do agree with the helicopter part of the original post.

It has gotten WAY better since initial release, but the sensitivity is still a hassle to get right. Even with logitech controller manager. Lowered the sensitivity to minimun but still it's like stated in the first post...

Quote[/b] ]Why are the control mechanics so different in feel compared to the good old OFP controls? Sure leaning is nice and raising and lowering the weapon but why is does everything else feel so difficult?

Agreed, however all the movement controls (certainly the ones I use) from OFP can be replicated in ArmA, including the crouch/stand toggle. The main problem I have is that everything is done too slowly compared to RL and even to OFP, mainly because the animations are far too laborious.

Quote[/b] ]The kneel button doesn't return to standing pose when I press it again.

To toggle between standing and crouching, bind a key to 'up', you don't need to have one bound to 'crouch', which kinda sums up the controls interface!

Quote[/b] ]Flying a helicopter is like balancing an elephant on a toothpick. In OFP the choppers where a delight to fly; intuitive but you needed some skills to pull off awesome maneuvers.

The FM still needs work. They are all too 'light' at the moment, though the littlebird isn't too bad. The FM is better than OFPs for flinging the chopper around quickly though which is handy. Some more adjustments and it'll be something like but it also needs an easier targetting system as it's hard to lock onto unidentified targets with the FM being so twitchy. A target cycling key that moved through all targets like in EECH would be more accurate. Also, they've spent so much time altering the FM, they've neglected the road vehicles which are horrible to control compared to OFP, especially with the restricted camera view. They definitely need a lot of work.

Quote[/b] ]Why didn't the devs just copy-paste the code for the controls? Why change something when it's not broken?

I also think BIS put in too many unnecessary new controls eg. if you play mods like CSLA or FFUR, you can lean just by using shift+left/right rather than having an extra key. Wish they'd looked at how some of these mods implemented leaning etc before just ploughing ahead with their own ideas.

Quote[/b] ]Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, at the moment I hardly play ArmA as I find it far less enjoyable than OFP mainly because of the 'feel' of the movement/aiming/vehicles in the current version but hopefully this will be tightened up in future patches.

Also, whats with the Machine Guns being 100% accurate with full auto? crazy_o.gif

I agree, when I first came to this gamer after playing OFP I hated the controls and wished they had carried across the controls into ArmA, but once you get used to them they work a treat ... even better than OFP imho.

Also the aircraft shouldn't be flown with a keyboard and mouse, mainly because a keyboard can't detect the pressure you press on a key so it will just spaz out if you press it. I find using a PS2 like controller works wonders for flying ... as long as you watch where your going :P

Also, whats with the Machine Guns being 100% accurate with full auto?  crazy_o.gif

try using MG with bipot IRL, its much more stable and accrate then you think it might be(cause of the weight), but they shouldnt be 90% accrate as well(they aint 100% accrate in ArmA)

Also, whats with the Machine Guns being 100% accurate with full auto? crazy_o.gif

try using MG with bipot IRL, its much more stable and accrate then you think it might be(cause of the weight), but they shouldnt be 90% accrate as well(they aint 100% accrate in ArmA)

Yeah, but this happens when your soldier is standing up.

Also, whats with the Machine Guns being 100% accurate with full auto?  crazy_o.gif

Yeah, but this happens when your soldier is standing up.

if thats the AI, then its "normal"

BTW the M240 is not correct to be place in the game as personal weaponary(heavy as f###), but its a game so i think i can take it