Realism & Modern Gameplay

We have realistic games such as:

Americas Army

Armed Assault

Operation Flashpoint

We have games based more on gameplay than realism:

Counter-Strike

BF series

None, imo, have had a good balance of both, people complain realistic games take too much time and when you get killed you have to walk a heck of a long time again and the realism nuts complain they are too 'noobie'.

I have seen many mods that make ArmA multiplayer very good, I want it to go one step further.

My point in all this post is; is it possible to a combination Armed Assault and Battlefield?

Have the capture points and massive maps, each little village has a flag, fight over the whole map, towns have vehicles etc.

What do you think of my idea?

its about how you script the mission to be, yes you can of cause script it to be pure gameplay, or give it a huge storyline so that it is more like a movie then a game, and yes you can of cause script it into something in between, or throught i am not a scripter nor mission designer, i am sure to tell you that yes it can(i already played some MP COOP made just for puer fun, so anyone who think theres not can just STFU)

Well... That would be the same as a freaking huge FPSMMO, me and one of my friends actully came up with some ideas and mailed them to EA (On danish) But they said we should translate them to english and mail it to the US part of EA.. But we were to lazy biggrin_o.gif

But, yeah i guess you could make a realistic, gameplay shooter with "Massive" Maps.. But it would proberly take a long time.

I thing it's already called Conquer The Island:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CTI

Introduction

Conquer the Island or Capture the Island is a game mode for Operation Flashpoint. The idea is that two teams are placed on the same island with one construction vehicle each, a Mobile Headquarter or MHQ.

Each team has a commander (either AI or human) who can use the construction vehicle to build factories. From these factories the troops can buy weapons, squad members, vehicles and planes using virtual money. The money is earned by capturing and holding towns on the island, killing enemies and recycling destroyed vehicles.

Victory is achieved by either holding all towns on the island or destroying all the enemy factories and their construction vehicle.

But there are surely other gameplay types possible. It will appear with time. CTI is surely not the be all end all of FPS online gaming

It would be so much better if the gaming public were a bunch of short lived but endlessly multiplying CLONES who would all have the same taste in gaming. They would buy a bunch of games, one for each genre, then die off... and their offspring would have to buy them all over again!

Quote[/b] ]My point in all this post is; is it possible to a combination Armed Assault and Battlefield?

This would be my personal worst-case-szenario.

I think that no gameplay can match realism.

I choose realism. I choose ArmA.

I remember a sniper training mission by someone named Omega (or the Omega cant remember) it played out like a realistic sniper course that may or may not have ben "realistic" but it certainly felt so and it was a lot of fun playing the game under such strict circumstances. Another favorite of mine was called Anmacs Assault Support and was a big mission that covered multiple enemy bases on the whole island. Not so realistic maybe but still so much fun. It was the first mission I played with Artillery and it had some other nice tweaks that just made it a lot of fun.

My point is OFP/ARMA style allows us to make missions that literally write themselves. All I have to do is play some stock OFP missions and I start to think how nice it would be to add this or that feature to the mission then the scripting world awaits if you dare to actually produce you idea. In my experience the scripting of the game is so powerful that almost any idea can be played out to a suprising degree of success.

Another point is that the "realism" we can program in the game can be used different ways that will elevate the game. For example a mission could be dedicated to re enacting a real life battle scenario from a recent conflict in Iraq or Afghanistan or elsewhere. Then text features can describe the event and by playing the mission you learn something about a real event. I think thats a cool idea and one day Ill try it. I allways wanted to research the initial phases of Desert Storm but also what is going on in Afghanistan. A mission that has a squad manning an Iraq checkpoint might be another mission. Im not trying to make light of any of these real events =, Im just saying we can use this game to actually learn something at the same time we play it as a side benefit.

Quote[/b] ]Well... That would be the same as a freaking huge FPSMMO, me and one of my friends actully came up with some ideas and mailed them to EA (On danish) But they said we should translate them to english and mail it to the US part of EA

no point in mailing it to EA, they just urinate on all good games(they are usually made by someone else though, EA just breaks it). i mean battlefield 2 was a reasonable game(although not as good as ARMA/OFP). i used to be a fan of the games (had BF1942) so when i heard that there would be a console version i was really exited and thought it would be great, until i got it that was-awful single player mode("you have not done your objective, try it again"?),even on 360 graphics were 10X worse than the PC game, the maps were tiny and the veichles had an awful control system. then i got OFP:E and that converted me to OFP-pity i had to wait so long.

Playing with the level of difficulty, skills and mission design, you can have very different feeling...

Have you playing the VIRUS mission ? Loads of Zombies jumping around... 100% fun 100% Arma too...

I played CTI on OFP but never new it existed for ArmA yet.

Its called Red Orchestra. Super realistic, even more than ARMA in many aspects. Yet its based on an arcadish engine so it offers everything BF does combined with realism.

Except no air/sea vehicles.

Red Orchestra gets thumbs up from me. Think Call of Duty but with much more emphasis on realism. It uses the UT engine so you get some pretty large maps. It has armour penetration and you can rest your gun on ANY surface to brace it. Very nice balance of playability and realism.

Just add "TRUE" realism to the ArmA so gameplay will be balanced. NOT the "realism that ArmA kids can handle well and makes them feel like they're mil professional". Make each firefight/combat more difficult (not "aiming and shooting part" but "tactical part") and brainteasing like real life combat. This will probably changes the whole gameplay and I'm sure most of current ArmA players will leave, but I hope BIS choice the "realism" than "pleasing the military geek".

Otester sounded like he was talking more of Capture and Hold then CTI. C&H is a lot like the play mode in the BF series. OFP has a huge amount of great "mini BF" maps with those gameplay modes.

To original poster:

Project Reality Minimod for Battlefield 2 is probably the most enjoyable Infantry based Computer game with a touch of reality at the moment.

Beats "Armed Assault" by far (less bugs, more enjoyable gameplay, good servers, more realism, nice people who know what they are doing on the servers, etc...)

I think Arma (and OPF) are the only games were you actually feel like you are in the game holding a rifle.

Its not 100% realistic because it doesnt cover all the little details but overall it feels like a sim sold in the shape of a game.

Americas Army feels like UT trying to be a tac shooter, it fails since it doesnt feature essential things like ballistics or realistic/imersive environments...

I just searched for some PR footage, saw a player side crawling, looking thru sites and shooting at the same time, meh..

RO is the only other game, i think the RO devs worked hard enough to make it feel wright but i never tried it since the game is 100% adversarial MP and unreal powered, i still think im missing out on that one.

In the end its not just about "realism", its about liking the game and apretiating what you can do with it.

Totally agree with Heatseeker.   RO tho didn`t do it for me at all. It had some nice features tho. The Euro angle, and ww2 turned me off of it.

"In the end its not just about "realism", its about liking the game and apretiating what you can do with it."

True. The realism FEEL= deeper immersion for me.

Red Orchestra gets thumbs up from me. Think Call of Duty but with much more emphasis on realism. It uses the UT engine so you get some pretty large maps. It has armour penetration and you can rest your gun on ANY surface to brace it. Very nice balance of playability and realism.

Is there a mod for red orchestra like desert combat for bf1942??

Cause i really dislike wwII ambience in games. I much prefer modern warfare.

Just get Infiltration 2.9, the total conversion for the old Unreal Tournament from 1999, i doubt you will find any infantry simulation games set in modern times that are that realistic in making you believe you are really holding a rifle or a handgun.

Dslyecxi page about it if you missed it.

I wish more realism game developers would try to implement all the great ideas from that TC in their own games.

Just get Infiltration 2.9, the total conversion for the old Unreal Tournament from 1999, i doubt you will find any infantry simulation games set in modern times that are that realistic in making you believe you are really holding a rifle or a handgun.

Dslyecxi page about it if you missed it.

I wish more realism game developers would try to implement all the great ideas from that TC in their own games.

or should we hope that we could simply script it into ArmA? confused_o.gif

Is there a mod for red orchestra like desert combat for bf1942??

Cause i really dislike wwII ambience in games. I much prefer modern warfare.

The only completed mod for RO was a SCIFI mod, but there was lack on interest into it, so it died quickly. The devs gave up.

Everyother mod for Red Orchestra that is in production involves WW2.

Some promising mods for RO:

www.marenostrumgame.com About the North African campaign.

www.carpathiancrosses.com About the Romanian forces and battles on the Eastern Front.

And www.Darkesthourgame.com about Normandy.

All total conversions.

you can rest your gun on ANY surface to brace it.

IIRC, the ability is in the ArmA engine, just not implemented.. Anyone know if this is still true?

you can rest your gun on ANY surface to brace it.

IIRC, the ability is in the ArmA engine, just not implemented.. Anyone know if this is still true?

Ive no idea where you got that from, and from what it looks like there is no way to detect if your gun is resting on something. huh.gif

It detects if it is clipping something already. The weapons clip walls in the game now. You can also lean around a corner with your barrel resting against the wall and use the corner to slice the pie.. it literally will keep the barrel on the wall as you pivot around the point of contact, keeping the smallest possible area exposed. It was a neat little trick I found in the demo.