Sign in to follow this  
damned303

Administration question

If someone has been voted in as admin is there a way of removing there admin status apart from getting them to type “#logout� I ask this as I admin two servers and if I turn the vote feature off the players are stuck with the standard rotation (causes problems when 20 people are on and an 8 player mission comes on). Also without the vote if a TK’ing player enters the server there is no way of kicking him/her until I or another admin joins the server.  So I need to to keep the vote but be able to remove admin off somebody who has been voted as admin when an official admin joins the server.

If you log in (#login <password>), you'll take over from the voted admin straight away.

There's no other way to remove admin status from a voted admin.

Since this topic is here already, I thought I'd ask about something strange that happened on our demo server last night. Now I'm referring to strange as something I wasn't aware could be done until today.

Apparently, some player was either voted admin or simply logged in as admin as no official admin was online, and proceeded to kick/ban players from our server.

My question is, can I alter the server config. to only allow for map changes or simply disable logging in with anything other than the server password?

Thanks.

Voted admins cannot ban. If he's indeed logged in, he probably cracked your password.

You can disable admin voting in the config file.

Voted admins cannot ban. If he's indeed logged in, he probably cracked your password.

OK, thanks for the reply but just how would I alter my config file to disable admin voting?

Thanks.

Umm... thats not true, I was playing around on some server the other night, and got voted admin and was able to ban someone...

Umm... thats not true, I was playing around on some server the other night, and got voted admin and was able to ban someone...

Its not a ban per se (i.e. it doesn't adds his ID to the banlist). Its just a regular kick.

OK, thanks for the reply but just how would I alter my config file to disable admin voting?

Thanks.

I don't remember how to do it, sorry (you can still disable voting altogether, tho).

I think an admin should be present at all times, automatically selected maybe based on how long they've been on. Even random would save many headaches. I spend a huge amount of time in crashed servers wishing an admin could sort the mess out - which they invariably can, as I know from the lucky times when I or another was admin when it went tits-up.

Yesteday, I also had the experience of an official admin logging in and it automatically stripped me of my power. And that's cool.

would be helpfull if a voted admin could be voted off as admin rofl.gif

I think an admin should be present at all times, automatically selected maybe based on how long they've been on. Even random would save many headaches. I spend a huge amount of time in crashed servers wishing an admin could sort the mess out - which they invariably can, as I know from the lucky times when I or another was admin when it went tits-up.

Yesteday, I also had the experience of an official admin logging in and it automatically stripped me of my power. And that's cool.

This isn't an option to have a dedicated admin on our ArmA server 24 x 7 x 365 and I'm guessing the same can be said for 90% of all gaming servers online.

Its not a ban per se (i.e. it doesn't adds his ID to the banlist). Its just a regular kick.

No, it was an actual ban, he couldn't join back into the server (the player would start to connect and be disconnected).

Unfortunately with the demo, it uses the ID: 999 for every single player, so when we banned that player, it banned EVERYONE one else.

There is someone with a dict attack script running around for the admin console. Pretty much they sit there and flood the server until they get the password right.

Has this thread ever gone off track or what?

Is there anyone in the community that can help out in this regard because it would be great to know if you could disable admin voting or alter the server config so the only admin on is the admin who used the password?

No, it was an actual ban, he couldn't join back into the server (the player would start to connect and be disconnected).

Unfortunately with the demo, it uses the ID: 999 for every single player, so when we banned that player, it banned EVERYONE one else.

Probably a bug in the demo server then. Not in retail, though.

Right, thats what I was thinking, I haven't done anything with servers for the full game yet (haven't really played much online on my german copy).

Is there anyone here at all that can answer the question of whether or not admin voting can be disabled?

I'm starting to wonder if this is even the correct forum for this question because with all the big brains around here, I find it odd this seems to go unanswered.

I think in you're server.cfg file for your Dedi...

voteThreshold=1.5;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

This will mean there must be at least 1 user logged on to vote an admin.... And, 150% of them must vote for that person to become admin...

Cheers, Sy

I think in you're server.cfg file for your Dedi...

voteThreshold=1.5;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

This will mean there must be at least 1 user logged on to vote an admin.... And, 150% of them must vote for that person to become admin...

Cheers, Sy

Ya but if there's only one person in the server (especially at the end of a long map), they can become admin and do whatever they like.

If possible, I'd much rather disable all admin controls unless logged in using the server password.

Any vote Threshold over 1 can never be achieved. Therefore no voteing.