Sign in to follow this  
Journeyman

More wildlife?

Sry, I've been away for a while & will be getting the UK version as soon as I see one in the stores! I hear there will be another patch (1.05) for all versions. Does anyone know if this will add more wildlife to the game?

There was talk a while back of BIS releasing deer, sheep and rabbits in future updates. I'de just like to know in case I need to dust off my Remington!  wink_o.gif

.... Also useful for those interested in making dino and monster mods I'm sure!  smile_o.gif

i think it comes with the UK Release, and im afraid i havent seen anything to do with any of the animals described, also theres been no sign in vertical Landing and take off sad_o.gif

There are leftovers of some animals (rabbits..) in some .pbo's so BI probably planned them but they were never finished, probably because of a lack of time. confused_o.gif

I'd rather see fixes to alot of the serious issues that exist, rather than worrying about a few additional animals or addons.

I'm sure i read somewhere that BIS were considering adding wildlife in later patches but they had much more pressing matters at hand first. (which is what i'd expect them to do anyway)

Not really necessary, would be fun to slaughter some animals tho (if i see an 'Animal Conservation' mod i may just quit ArmA hehehe).

VTOL is going to be in patch 1.05 (expected release date by the end of Feb smile_o.gif )

ArmA.si: Can we expect new wildlife (mammals etc.) roaming around the island in one of future patches?

Maruk: We´re working on more wildlife but I can´t tell you at the moment when and how we will release it as it is still work in progress.

I'm sure it would add a bit more tension to some night missions.

Imagine sneaking through a wood then all of a sudden you spook a deer, it runs away with allot of noise alerting the enemy of your presence.

i'm not as sick as to want to slaughter helpless animals with military hardware, so why put them in? a few birds are enough, maybe some crows that fly out of the trees when you get too close, and some sharks off the coast.

funny, how the official website advertises the game environment as "full of flora & fauna"; the occasional seagull can hardly be considered making the world full of fauna...

It's got plenty of insect life and the environment is full of the buzz and motion we want.  Having larger examples of fauna would just enhance it.

The original idea was to make an environment where the old rule of "if it moves, shoot it" no longer applies: it adds to the realism and adds tension. What they've already done in the programming achieves that.  Many of us look forward to a time when this can be extended to other life AI.  Remember though if there're herds if wildebeast roaming, the server is going to take a hit smile_o.gif.

What I'd like to see first is the cockerels and (guard?) dogs that you hear.  At the moment I have to pretend that they're within locked doors.

I noticed yesterday that the flight of the seagulls (not that I ever die, mind you!wink_o.gif is well animated with flaring of wings during descent and stuff.

-Fenix out.

And while I'm on about cocks and dogs, I must mention those church bells. Every time they go off, I check my watch (in-game) and think 'why have they rung the bell now?'.

-Fenix out.

We had lots of wildlife in VBS1, don't know why they can't just port it over huh.gif

Hi all

All wild Life on Saharini is protected it is illegal to shoot wildlife.

Any one shooting wild life will be prosecuted by the SSPCA.

Planning or conspiring to plan to shoot wild life on Saharini is also a crime.

The current trend of butterfly collecting is also illegal and is having a terrible effect on the diversity of the many rare flowers such as the Clovehip Frotilery in Saharini.

Saharini is a World Heritage site for rarely seen wild life such as the Saharini bunny which only survives on the rare Sahrini Clovehip Frotilery Voses stultus flowers. Attacks on wild life while performing support operations in the current war in Saharini probably constitutes a international war crime for which you can be prosecuted in the Haig.

You have been warned!

Regards walker

haha that was a great read..

What if we find Poachers on our Travels? tounge2.gif

But seriously, Animals would add advantages to the Ambience of Saharini adn again about the church bells, first of all it sounds a bit crummy and second it strikes at random times

Yep to bad I was planning on organizing weekly hunting events.

And if they are gonna put it in I wonder how they will do it.

For example let them spawn on the island by default or that you need to place a logic or the animal its self in the editor.

Where the heck is "Saharini"? On Sahrani, in contrast,

hunting is a national institution and is controlled by the SGFC

(Sahrani Game and Fish Commission). A non-resident Annual

All Game license, for example, costs 300 Sahrani dollars.

Aboriginal Subsistence Whaling of a limited number of

Humpback whales by Sahranis is also permitted by the

International Whaling Commission. Probably...

So there!  tounge2.gif

Edit: Blast! I forgot to mention that all monies for SGFC

hunting licenses must be forwarded to my paypal account! smile_o.gif

Where there's animals, there's poachers and where there's poachers, there's traps. Imagine sneaking through the undergrowth and suddenly a trap springs shut of your foot. the noise of the trap and your subsequent scream of pain alerts everyone for miles around! ...."Aaaargh!.....MEDIC!". Pray you werent to well hidden at the time or the medic will never find you stuck in the trap. tounge2.gif

It's really about immersion and having unexpected fleeing of wild deer or foxes or birds in a forest for example could add hugely to the tension of sneaking up on enemy positions and such, and as someone said these things can give you away IRL so why not stick them in a sim like ArmA?

There was already lots of talk about animals last year before the initial releases so I'm hoping that BIS has not shelved it!  crappingpony.gif  smile_o.gif

hehe i just thing "if" will bee in 1.06 patch more animals tounge2.gif ,boot sure not.

hopefully we'll see some wildlife soon and I really hope you don't have to manually place them (but with the option to for missions that require it). Having 10, 20 or even 50 animals doing their own thing is not going to strain the server much, all they have to do is move a bit at random times and have a chance of being spooked when the player is near. AI soldiers have to calculate a lot more and theres missions with hundreds of them and the server handles that fine

I'd like to see a lot more features that add to the depth of the game as well, such as blood trails, blood loss and the affects of it, rare traps could be interesting, proper haze and lighting in forests and so on. Bug fixes are good but getting patch after patch of them is just boring you need real game improvements, freelook in crosshair mode and much more aggressive AI were a nice improvement

It's not just about shooting the poor things, it would allow players that extra edge if need be... There you are, guarding the fuel dump, watching the sheep in the field... something spooks them... was it random? Or was it someone else moving amongst the foliage?

Anything that adds a bit of edge-of-seat stuff to the game is a plus. The fact that one could shoot a baa-baa is neither here nor there (although cow-tipping could be amusing...)

hehe so we just need to wait a litll end see when will BIS put somn animals in next patch tounge2.gif

remember though.. for flocks of animals etc its gonna eat up a bit of CPU probably... it means AI will have to exist all around the map, then soldiers/vehicles/war on top of that :P

domesticated animals would be a nice bonus, although the probability of bumping into a deer or a bear would be astronomical in real life, especially a combat setting

Well i do agree animals in some capacity are a must (although as soon as the modding tools come out it won't take long to see them).

So if were gonna discuss it, which animals do we want.....

Dog

Deer

Cow

Horses

Maybe Rabbit (but they would have to exist only a short distace of player just a waste of CPU otherwise)

Anyone got anymore (didn't want to add animals that could attack you as thats going a bit to far)

I'm also not taking into account where the island is set so if you can think of any more suitable please be my guest.

Bootleg smile_o.gif