Sign in to follow this  
opf12345

How do i disable hdr?

the 16 bit mode will not work, how can i turn it off?

there should be a toggle to turn the the stuff off, its stupid that it has to be on

You can't, it's tied into the "postprocess effects" item. I don't like how it blurs the scoped weapons, that would give me a raging headache if I left it on.

I guess you can't, so that mp stays balanced? Wouldn't be very fair if someone was being blinded by the sun, and the enemy wasn't.

The HDR cannot be disabled because realistic lighting values are used in Armed Assault. This means the daytime light is about 1000x brighter than early morning. Therefore HDR needs to be present, otherwise you would often see nothing (only black or only white, as with under/overexposed photograph).

The HDR cannot be disabled because realistic lighting values are used in Armed Assault. This means the daytime light is about 1000x brighter than early morning. Therefore HDR needs to be present, otherwise you would often see nothing (only black or only white, as with under/overexposed photograph).

Isnt there a way to lock these values? The constantly changing brightness hurts my eyes after a while crazy_o.gif

I guess I don't care wether there is HDR or not....I would just like the darn light values to stop changing. Hell I have to keep adjusting my brightness and or gamma on night missions as the clouds go by. very irritating.

yes i gota agree with the opinions here... hdr is very realistic and looks very high tech, but after few minutes playing with it, my eyes get tired of all the light changing...

guess i'll use my sunglasses with those winter lens then..

If the light keeps changing rapidly with small movements of the mouse, then you have a problem. It's not suppose to do that. Changes are not very fast and drastic for me as it is to some people. I hardly notice it, except when going into or out of shadowed areas.

Leave your brightness at 1.0, and maybe gamma as well. That might help as changing the brightness makes it go crazy for some people. Also, graphics card drivers might be the culprit - roll back to older or upgrade to newer ones.

At night time you should be using NVGs, if you have them tounge2.gif .

Hope this is helpfull to someone.

I can dig that HDR must be lef ton for all players in MP; is this why we also have to have 32-bit colour? I was hoping that I might be able to use 16bit at some point...

Note to myself: buy Raybans and a blanket to put over the top of me and the monitor.

-Fenix out

I can dig that HDR must be lef ton for all players in MP; is this why we also have to have 32-bit colour?  I was hoping that I might be able to use 16bit at some point...

Note to myself:  buy Raybans and a blanket to put over the top of me and the monitor.

-Fenix out

You can run ArmA in 16Bit color, open up ArmA.cfg in your: \Documents and Settings\UserNamed\My Documents\ArmA folder.

Change Resolution_Bpp=32; to Resolution_Bpp=16; and save.

The hdr does not even look that realistic, its overdone, theyre should of been a option for single player to turn it off.

With all respect Suma, HDR did’t emplemented right, at least as it is now. It really annoying for eyes.

definately not realistic, suma I want you to swivel around on your chair and tell me if in real life the room varies from ultra bright to very dark. Its a step up from nothing but its a long way from realistic or even pleasant, it doesn't even blind you if you look hard enough (and not very hard at all) you can still see soldiers/birds/planes in front of lights or the sun. You can't see terrain though. Your not blinded for long enough that it affects gameplay unless you put on or take off NVG's (which is still way too short) and the lighting is very similiar if not the same in all environments. Hope theres a big lighting improvement and the inclusion of haze, glare and other effects

i hope this HDR will be disabled in next patch because it is horrible and annoy playing, especially when player turns :/

sometimes i can't see enemy :/

Download the DirectX-SDK move to (SDK root)\Samples\C++\Direct3D\Bin\x86 or x64\HDRLighting.exe and watch their example. Select the type of glare and the strength of light. What you see is actually the same thing that you can see in ArmA. The effect of being dazzled is natural. Looking into the sun's direction on sunny days is something your eyes reply on with straining your eyes, you are going to close them, what ouf corse results in a constricted field of view. It is the most primitive military tactic to engage with the sun in your back. Applies for any arm. Since ArmA claims to be realistic, realistic lighting belongs to ArmA. Be glad that BIS have implemented the blinding only.

Here are just two of manifold sources to HDR (non- and realtime) rendering: http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ and his Highness Paul Debevec - Master of HDR at http://www.debevec.org/.

A search within citeseer is also instructive.

Maybe there are some points that are somehow a bit to excessive, but i would never call it non-realistic. From my point of view the lighting in ArmA is fine the way it is. As a matter of course you need to understand, that HDR( r ) lighting is something most of you experience the first time simulated (as far as possible) in realtime and implementations of HDR( r ) in computergames vary.

I would recommend to read all the papers you can find, to form your view afterwards, on how good HDR( r ) is implemented in ArmA.

Its not that its badly implemented, its just that you cant turn the damn stuff of which is stupid, Bis should of made it separate from other lighting

Turn it off? That would propably be the same stuff like disabling grassrendering if the engine hides people who are behind such grass. Those who have it disabled would take an advantage of the visibility. The same goes for the shadows. Hiding in the shadows in ArmA is only effective when shadowing is enabled. The models wont get darkened, even if you are in darker areas. No idea how to solve this, because you disable shadowing to save cycles on your processing units. To darken the models would take cycles again. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

In mp-games it is essential to 'equip' all players with the same stuff, we know it all. Anything that is affecting the gameplay needs to be present on all machines, just to prevent players from taking advantages of lower settings for example. HDR( r ) in ArmA tries to mirror reality with all its advantages and disadvantages regarding tactics. HDR( r ) is impacting on gameplay! If BIS would let you turn it off, they would have imbalance built-in. The slight imbalance with shadowing in ArmA is quite enough, imho.

Maybe they 'fix' it as you wish, but that depends on how HDR( r ) is implemented, model, and what depends from what. There are so many points you must weigh up when you implement such a essential component like lighting. From the market over playability, culminating in balance.

If you could turn off HDR, then you might as well allow aimbots on MP games.

The HDR might seem excessive but the game is set in a tropical latitude where the skies are much brighter than they are in most of Europe, and the contrast with interiors is far greater. They've done a good job with it. Now, if there was a way to wink or blink in the game to control eye exposure, as some of us do IRL, and they certainly teach it in the military.

This game's awesome! I love the blinding glare from oncoming headlights in the game at night. Shame we can't equip torches for signalling amongst, other things. Sunglasses.

-Fenix out.

Applies for any arm. Since ArmA claims to be realistic, realistic lighting belongs to ArmA. Be glad that BIS have implemented the blinding only.

Although i agree that it is a good feature, i still think its a bit overdone, its way too responsive and just turning a few degrees makes a big difference, too big. The brightness can change but it should be more limited then it is now, in real life my eyes dont start hurting because of constantly changing brightness.

Furthermore the AI doesnt seem to be affected by the sun, so why bother, its only usefull in PvP MP, which isnt exactly the most played gametype.

So in short: Good feature, needs tweaking.

Did anyone even see my post on the last page? I posted a possible solution to the HDR problems but nobody seems to care. At least a comment to say whether it worked or not would be nice.

@Vilas, have you even tried it? All you seem to be doing on these forums is insulting the developers.

Did anyone even see my post on the last page? I posted a possible solution to the HDR problems but nobody seems to care. At least a comment to say whether it worked or not would be nice.

@Vilas, have you even tried it? All you seem to be doing on these forums is insulting the developers.

Yea tried that mate left at default, still have problems. Maybe its NVIDIA/Driver issue...i dont know.

Isnt there a way to lock these values? The constantly changing brightness hurts my eyes after a while crazy_o.gif

You can do it but it's really part of the mission design:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setAperture

It's up to the maker of the mission to decide if HDR effects are to be disabled and what aperture to be used. Of course, this static aperture setting will not work well after lighting conditions changed too much.

Ive never had a problem with the lighting i think its realistic and never changes so i cant see whats going on unless im looking towards the sun.