Sign in to follow this  
Benny_DK

Is this game worth buying?

Hi All,

I have just looked through the modding section of this site and I really must say that I was amazed.

So amazed that I'm having second thoughts on buying the game, which I pretty much gave up on after the multiplayer demo

Of course, it's worthwhile.

It's already very good, and getting better and better.

It depends:

-If you play mostly single player, and don't feel like watiting for user campaigns, then NO

-If you play CTF, NO

-If your a coop player, Yes

-Anything in between CTF and COOP, that depends on the person, so try the demo. For me, its a no.

It depends:

-If you play mostly single player, and don't feel like watiting for user campaigns, then NO

-If you play CTF, NO

-If your a coop player, Yes

-Anything in between CTF and COOP, that depends on the person, so try the demo.  For me, its a no.

More like:

Do you like fast paced gaming? Dont buy it.

Do you like slower paced, more tactical gameplay? Buy it.

Do you like singleplayer, but you dont not want to download community missions or play around with the missione editor yourself? Well, the missions that come with the game generally suck, community made missions range from 'friggin awesome!' to 'poor', and you can play around with the mission editor yourself.

Ok, Lucino is kind of right, if you're a Deathmatch fan... I agree this is not for you (it's possible, but what's the point ?)

The point is : the more freedom and the bigger the map, the better it is in Arma. Therefore claustrophobic maps and restricted gameplay don't do it justice.

So capture the flag can be OK, but once again it's not the best aspect of the game. Capture the island is probably more suitable.

The pace of the game is slower too, because you need to be more careful. You can't run and gun. It's less frenetic and more atmospheric.

At last COOP is THE THING.

Single player : campain is so-so out of the box, but there are already nice missions available and you have THE EDITOR.

Let alone for the editor, it's a yes for me.

I bought 3 copies for a lan and must say its worth it.... just like everybody said already.... for tactical coop play its the king of modern military simulations...

for run n gun arcade fps shooting, its not really going to do much for you in most cases.

If you have a Geforce 8800 it isn't worth buying yet. Simply because the Nvidia drivers currently suck and/or Armed Assault has problems with these cards. It is unplayable on my 640MB GTS, sub 20fps framerates and massive pauses during the game. The level of detail is also broken, I get really low textures close up after a few minutes playing banghead.gif

no, i wouldn't. as much potential as it has, i don't think you should buy now if you have not yet.

at least wait for patch v1.05. but i would go even further and wait for the US release in May.

"If you have a Geforce 8800 it isn't worth buying yet. Simply because the Nvidia drivers currently suck and/or Armed Assault has problems with these cards"

I dunno bout the full game release, but my 8800 GTX eats the demo for breakfast. Mainly I am a co op player, so I know the full N. American release will be mine.

Well if your thinking of buying it to play CTF i wouldn't, CTF sucks really bad. Unfortunatley i made the mistake of buying it to play CTF thinking it would be like OFP.

If you like dog fights with aircraft your not going to get that, another good thing that ofp had and this hasn't.

If you like boring coops (wich i don't) you will like this.

CH is also fun to play.

If you have a Geforce 8800 it isn't worth buying yet.  Simply because the Nvidia drivers currently suck and/or Armed Assault has problems with these cards.  It is unplayable on my 640MB GTS, sub 20fps framerates and massive pauses during the game.  The level of detail is also broken, I get really low textures close up after a few minutes playing  banghead.gif

Hmm well it plays alright on my 8800GTX not max settings but good enough for the Island to look spankingly nice.

Quote[/b] ]Hmm well it plays alright on my 8800GTX not max settings but good enough for the Island to look spankingly nice.

Most of the complaints about bad fps seem to come from 8800 owners... SLI and vista doesn't help either.

From what I can judge so far, geforce 7900 + 3Ghz P4 have no problems, while dualcores with 8800 seem to be more erratic in performance (ranging from awsome to plain crap)

BTW: a local shop has already been selling ArmA with some 30% off for a while now. i'd say go for it now if you can find it cheap. otherwise wait some more. you can always get the US release in May.

Game plays great on my Rig

Intel D6600

2GB Ram

7600GT

This game is defaintely not for all FPS types, but if you liked OFP you will defiantely like this.

smile_o.gif

Game plays great on my Rig

Intel D6600

2GB Ram

7600GT

This game is defaintely not for all FPS types, but if you liked OFP you will defiantely like this.

I liked ofp, but there are things that have been taken away in AA that made ofp great. I could list them all but i won't. I just don't think you can compare ofp with AA anymore. The only things that remain the same are the big maps, apart from that it just doesn' play like ofp did, so i wouldn't compare it to that.

Hi All,

I have just looked through the modding section of this site and I really must say that I was amazed.

So amazed that I'm having second thoughts on buying the game, which I pretty much gave up on after the multiplayer demo

If you didnt like the original MP dont take the bids on mods.

Mods are in a 95% a pain in the ass, a waste of time, effort in the installation dealing with multiple bugs and incompatibilitys and a waste of hard drive.

Limits seriously the number of players playing and the potential amount of players. Not everybodoy has the exact mod required  thus expelling them out of the servers and reducing the fun.

Mods in this type of games nearly never turned in what CS was to half Life.

Those cases are one in a million and very few turn out like that.

But even if there where complete tools to change the game and had such a apopularity the style of MP is what it is... with the horrible arm sway, stupid 3d ironsights, clunky gameplay, etc, etc, etc.

Mods are based on the original game, and the essence will still be there.

If you didnt like the essence....

There is a say in my country that goes:

" si la mona se viste de seda , mona se queda "

That would translate as:

" Even if the ugly dresses like a lady, ugly will stay ".

Mora2, modding is what kept OFP going for so long, do you think that people would still be playing vanilla OFP after all these years? Yeah, maybe the CTFers, but people who play coop/CTI/whatever cant imagine OFP without addons, it can add so much to the game thumbs-up.gif

There is a say in my country that goes:

" si la mona se viste de seda , mona se queda "

That would translate as:

" Even if the ugly dresses like a lady, ugly will stay "

Hahahaha, now i of to practice saying " si la mona se viste de seda , mona se queda " and say this to the girlfriend when she keeps asking me how she looks before we go out. Only i know what i am saying  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Mora2, modding is what kept OFP going for so long, do you think that people would still be playing vanilla OFP after all these years? Yeah, maybe the CTFers, but people who play coop/CTI/whatever cant imagine OFP without addons, it can add so much to the game thumbs-up.gif

Yet pure OFP/ArmA gameplay still holds second to none in my book. I always held good missions higher than heavy addons, maybe because I had a low spec pc. Recently I reinstalled OFP, while warming up for ArmA and enjoyed OFP modless with a couple of friends.

Benny what didn't you like about the demo, the graphics, gameplay or performance?

Benny what didn't you like about the demo, the graphics, gameplay or performance?

Or the missions? Because noone likes the missions tounge2.gif

Thanks all you guys,

I will buy it.

You guys have mostly good things to say about the game, and even though mods are a pain in the arse, that will hopefully change.

With a computer being something that was recently discovered by archaeologists digging for dinosaurs, I will probably have to upgrade before being able to fully enjoy the game.

My current specs are:

2,4 gHz Pentium 4

1024 MB DDR2 RAM (233 mHz)

GeForce 5900XT 128 mb RAM

Is it possible to achieve any kind of playability with these specs?

Quote[/b] ]Benny what didn't you like about the demo, the graphics, gameplay or performance?

Gameplay mainly.

First off I had to find my way through the crappy menu and start a multiplayer game. Then I used several minutes finding out how to change weapons.

When I eventually ventured into the game, I was immediately stunned by the graphics although a bit rough (due to my graphics card I bet). I took my first steps and soon found some enemies. I knelled and squeezed off a few laser rounds. This really frustrated me as it did with OPF, why include tracers when they are so bad. I went to the stupid menu for the 5th time changing the sensibility of the mouse and trying to turn off the tracers, with no succes.

I then played for half an hour, being impressed with the graphics and to some extend the physics, but the controls, and a feeling of a game with great potential being ruined by a few deficiencies.

Quote[/b] ]Or the missions? Because noone likes the missions

No the number/variety of the missions was a big minus too.   

By the way, is the game easy to customize/mod/edit?

Thanks again you guys,

Benjamin

Have you tried demo on-line yet? Alot of people complain but that's what cemented the deal for me. Ive had great fun on the CTF servers and like the momentum phyisics of the soldiers- no more guy sprinting by you while shooting you in .093 seconds. Now everyone has to take the time to adjust to get the accuracy advantage.

Definitely needs new tracers though...

These kinds of questions have been answered a 100 times .... about spec .... but well:

no it will not run so smoothly that u can realy enjoy the game, don´t expect fps above 12-15.

New Graca with more ram.