Sign in to follow this  
nathe

unplayable

ok I know I have the required specced computer to play this game..... I install it and it asks me if I want to play it ..... it tries to boot it up and the little boxes come up with their ticks in them, but the last 2 don't tick..... the game closes and it says it wants to send a message to microsoft about a problem (at work and cant tell you this at the moment).

not knowing what is getting checked and ticked, or what is causing the launch failure is proving a problem I cannot overcome. the files look like they have been installed onto my pc so I am wondering if I am missing some fundamental problem on my pc or whether the disc isn't installing something causing it to fail launching.

I know my explanation is vague but wondering if someone can assist from this description alone .... I will try and give more accurate details when I have access to my home pc.

thanks

There is obviously something wrong and at least I can put your mind at ease and say that the two end boxes DON'T get ticked on my copy - which runs fine.

I'm wondering if you have the demo still installed?

2 versions (for the UK anyway) of the demo came out and I mistakenly installed the 2nd version forgetting to remove the first and it caused a conflict.

ALso, check your MY DOCUMENTS folder for any old PROFILES that may be causing a problem (back them up just in case).

Sorry I can't help more.

i never even played the demo but have noted that there are a lot of the same problems noted on pages 2 and 3 of this forum ........ I can see a return to seller happening here and exchanging it for a game that doesn't have so many glitches ..... I thought EA were bad with their buggy games releases but this seems ridiculous.

thanks anyway .... maybe someone else has any ideas that mean I can keep this game. at £30 it's not going to become an expensive beer coaster!

You might want to specify your PC specs Nathe. Are you using Vista for example?

I hope you get it sorted.

ok I know I have the required specced computer to play this game..... I install it and it asks me if I want to play it ..... it tries to boot it up and the little boxes come up with their ticks in them, but the last 2 don't tick..... the game closes and it says it wants to send a message to microsoft about a problem (at work and cant tell you this at the moment).

not knowing what is getting checked and ticked, or what is causing the launch failure is proving a problem I cannot overcome. the files look like they have been installed onto my pc so I am wondering if I am missing some fundamental problem on my pc or whether the disc isn't installing something causing it to fail launching.

I know my explanation is vague but wondering if someone can assist from this description alone .... I will try and give more accurate details when I have access to my home pc.

thanks

I had exactly the same symptoms when I had not the proper OpenAL drivers installed.

Try updating OpenAL :

http://developer.creative.com/article....nst.exe

ok can running this programme screw anything up as I have not got system restore enabled to revert to the way it was..... bf2 etc all manage to run ok before I run this programme

Nope, it's just installing a "little" sound dll in your Windows\system32 directory AFAIK that will be used by ArmA, and probably only by ArmA. Nothing screwy.

thanks i will try this when i get home from work and hopefully i won't have to bother anyone again .....

this is bucking follox

i ran the oagl prog reinstalled and get the same bastard problem

this game has been released with little or no testing and has more bugs than the friggin jungle

the error i get that it wants to report to microsoft is:

AppName: arma.exe AppVer: 1.4.0.5121 ModName: arma.exe

ModVer: 1.4.0.5121 Offset: 000b6059

anyone got any clue whats going on?

i have xppro version 2002 service pack2

amd athlon XP 2800+

2.09GHz 1.5GB RAM

I have loads of free space on the drives

i reinstalled bf2 yesterday which gave me the latest directx drivers

graphics card is radeon x850 series

thanks if anyone fancies helping me out ..... if not i am taking it back to HMV and swapping it for the best of boy george I am that pissed off with it

am assuming either noone knows how to help or noone willing to help because I have told you exactly what I think of the game ..... ah well never mind. Maybe someone will try.

chill out xmas_o.gif

Perhaps could you copy/paste here the end of your ArmA.RPT file that you can find under C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA

That could help. But it's not easy to know what's going on, don't expect people to instantly know what is wrong.

its ok mate i have decided that it aint worth the hassle so will be making my life less stressful by returning it this weekend and allowing some other poor sod to have problems instaed of me. I have online gamed for many years and never seen so much hassle caused to so many people by a new release that should have been debugged before it was released.

it definitley doesn't do what it says on the packet!

gaming is supposed to be fun, not mean you have to get a doctorate in pc programming before you can have that fun!

thanks for ur help anyways I won't be back and I will place a nice summary on the amazon website reviews of this game to assist anyone else foolish enuff to think about ordering it.

i reinstalled bf2 yesterday which gave me the latest directx drivers

I would be very surprised to find the latest dx9.0c build on a BF2 disc. Latest build is from 2-2-2007, see here at microsoft

Try installing that version.

its ok mate i have decided that it aint worth the hassle so will be making my life less stressful by returning it this weekend and allowing some other poor sod to have problems instaed of me. I have online gamed for many years and never seen so much hassle caused to so many people by a new release that should have been debugged before it was released.

it definitley doesn't do what it says on the packet!

gaming is supposed to be fun, not mean you have to get a doctorate in pc programming before you can have that fun!

thanks for ur help anyways I won't be back and I will place a nice summary on the amazon website reviews of this game to assist anyone else foolish enuff to think about ordering it.

LOL you've never installed a Microsoft Combat Flight Sim software, have you? biggrin_o.gif

yep have all the flight sims - im a ppl lol

And you had no problem? CFS3 nightmare for me, ArmA was smoooooooth compared. Well, to each his own, but modern day it's more about "are you lucky enough for your software to run correctly", sadly sad_o.gif

Even my BF2142 is not playable atm for me, it drops my internet connection (completely, no IP address), go figure sad_o.gif

hmmmmm maybe mr gates' playstation3 or an xbox360 would be better for less hassle ..... but I like me old pc........ and I know they get their share of crap going on too.....

just like life ..... wouldn't it be boring if things always went smoothly lol.

Mr. Gates PS3?

*Jumps on and beats the shit out of*

PS3 is by Sony, NOT MICROSOFT. Sony = Shitty expensive underpowered crap and TV's.

Bill Gates = Microsoft = Xbox's and PC's.

ah well sorry got my manufacturers wrong lol

you know what I meant!!!

It'd be a shame to give up on this game. I say that as a Battlefielder from 1942 and up to 2142. I'm even paying for a 2142 server I won't use again. ArmA rocks.

Where's that rpt file? How much RAM on your video card?

:P

-Fenix out.

cheers Fenix but I really can't be bothered messing with it any more and reinstalling and deleting it again ..... have much better ways to waste my time. returning it this weekend and will not be sorry to see it go.

I would be surprised if reinstalling it again had anythign to do with the solution! Unless you've already uninstalled it...

Oh well!

cheers Fenix but I really can't be bothered messing with it any more and reinstalling and deleting it again ..... have much better ways to waste my time. returning it this weekend and will not be sorry to see it go.

Hiya Nathe

I've just bought Arma a couple of days ago, it works but runs too slow to be playable even on the lowest settings. Normally I would have taken it back straight away but Im sticking with it because I'm confident that all problems will eventually be solved.

I remember when OFP first came out, it had many problems, took ages to load, was very slow, very buggy and very frustrating to the point I wanted to return it..but I stuck with it and eventually, problems were sorted patch after patch after patch up to v1.97? ...runs perfectly now and has done ever since..a few bugs here n there, certainly not 100% perfect, but nothing that spoils my enjoyment of the game. Im confident that the same will apply to Arma. I know its frustrating but just give them a chance to sort it out and Im sure it will have been worth the wait.

Martmart.. whats your spec... if your spec is too low, then theres NO WAY that your PC will be able to play it.

Most people are able to run the game with at least 20 FPS average i guess.

If your spec is too low, there will not be a miracle patch. Look at the difference between OFP + ArmA.. just because you can run OFP well doesnt mean ArmA will run. I can run OFP well on a 1.2ghz AMD with 256mb RAM and a Geforce 2 GFX card... :P

Martmart.. whats your spec... if your spec is too low, then theres NO WAY that your PC will be able to play it.

Most people are able to run the game with at least 20 FPS average i guess.

If your spec is too low, there will not be a miracle patch. Look at the difference between OFP + ArmA.. just because you can run OFP well doesnt mean ArmA will run. I can run OFP well on a 1.2ghz AMD with 256mb RAM and a Geforce 2 GFX card... :P

Hiya..

I have a pretty OK spec..AthlonXP 2.8, 1g ram, ...should run ok. I've read somewhere that it maybe the graphics card, geforce fx 5500 256 ram. I'm planning on getting a 'new' graphics card soon but funds are limited so can only afford a slightly better one than I already have..but for now, Im waiting for the uk patch.

btw: I did encounter some of the initial problems that others had, unable to load graphics..blah blah...with a bit of faffing around, updating this, downloading that etc..I did managed to get it going. Very slow and unplayable, but atleast its working. If u have any ideas on what to do before I buy g.card, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

smile_o.gif