Sign in to follow this  
wex-q

AMD or Intel?

Many I've seen who has complained over their game being laggy, not being able to have high settings etc etc: They have the new Intel Core 2 Duo, the E6600.

The far best in performance to price CPU as today.

But still, with 8800-cards, 2gig of fast DDR2 and a E6600, people get lag.

But there's something I've barely seen at all. People who's complaining of the same troubles with AMD.

My friend who has an AMD X2 64 4200+, 2gig of Kingston 800Mhz DDR2-mem, and a 7950GTX card barely has lagg.

We cranked his comp up pretty good today, with high settings on almost all, and still, the lag was low.

Just with some tweaks we easily got through our medieval scenario with 120 vs 120 soldiers parading towards each other on Rahmadi.

Otherwise, his computer runs the game awsome.

So, everybody: What's your opinion, maybe AMD is much better for ArmA, or is it just that no AMD users are playing ArmA? tounge2.gif

Anyways, thanks for answers on this

wex

smile_o.gif

I noticed aswell, that many Core 2 users complain about lag in ArmA. I'm running an AMD X2 4600+ and my game performs quite well.

I can't imagine why ArmA shouldn't like Intel though...

Thats a good point,

Maybe ArmA was build on AMD systems, that could explain the lack of optmization some C2D, like myself, are experiencing.

Maybe that's it because I don't have any of the problems that I here about in these forums.

AMD X2 4600 + 7950.

AMD X2 4200 + 7900.

AMD X2 4200 + 7900.

All run the game fine in the demo with only 1gig of DDR RAM.

--Ben

I don't buy that theory. Most of the early ArmA players are so called "first adopters". That is they often buy the latest gadgets. It's more or less natural that the guys who always stays on top of the mountain of hardware also are among the first to snatch a copy of ArmA.

You are talking about hitching i guess? as lag is server based and has sweet fa to do your pc specs

Maybe its because with AMD dual cores, they are aware of the problems when trying to use both cores (at the same time) and so they only use one core for ArmA. huh.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Intel Core2's uses both cores at the same time. Maybe this is the source of the 'lag'. I remember reading about similar (though obviously more pronounced) problems with Dual "Socket" systems when hosting an OFP Server. Bit vague, I know, but it comes to mind! smile_o.gif

If it is correct, can the chip be told to use only one of its cores when running ArmA?

I'd like to find the answer to this as I know some people that are considering a Core2 over an AMD sometime soon.. (I have an AMD x2 4200 at present and it runs great).

#C

I'll be getting my E6600, 7950GT rig this week and if necessary I'll install a software that'll tell apps on which core to run - they exist I think, and I hope they will work if required...

Then again, people running with E6600's or higher may be experiencing lag because they're pushing the game to the limit perhaps?  huh.gif

Haven't seen ArmA for sale yet here in Portugal so I'll report on the ArmA demo performance as soon as possible.  smile_o.gif

Edit: Might want to check out this thread

Maybe its because with AMD dual cores, they are aware of the problems when trying to use both cores (at the same time) and so they only use one core for ArmA. huh.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Intel Core2's uses both cores at the same time. Maybe this is the source of the 'lag'. I remember reading about similar (though obviously more pronounced) problems with Dual "Socket" systems when hosting an OFP Server. Bit vague, I know, but it comes to mind! smile_o.gif

If it is correct, can the chip be told to use only one of its cores when running ArmA?

I'd like to find the answer to this as I know some people that are considering a Core2 over an AMD sometime soon.. (I have an AMD x2 4200 at present and it runs great).

#C

To be able to understand the concept of multiple processors (cores) you must understand how threading and scheduling works. It's kind of pointless trying to explain in a single forum post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_%28computer_science%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheduling_%28computing%29

I meant both cores at the same time "in Armed Assault" (unlike AMD x2's which use only 1 core "In Armed Assault").... Not as part of the operating system.

Im knackered and I dont think readin that's gonna help! wink_o.gif

#C

armamark score with AMD 3500+ - 1500

armamark score with c2d e4300 @ 2600 mhz - 2500

only an cpu upgrade gave me 1000 more points... whistle.gif

First make sure that the definition of "lag" is the same for everyone. Then compare.

BUZZARD @ Feb. 18 2007,22:46)]I'll be getting my E6600, 7950GT rig this week and if necessary I'll install a software that'll tell apps on which core to run - they exist I think, and I hope they will work if required...

Then again, people running with E6600's or higher may be experiencing lag because they're pushing the game to the limit perhaps? huh.gif

Haven't seen ArmA for sale yet here in Portugal so I'll report on the ArmA demo performance as soon as possible. smile_o.gif

Edit: Might want to check out this thread

good choice, this is what i run Arma on and it works fine @ 1680x1050.

i have e6600, i have tested it with r6:vages last night and i am impressed, so after i have reinstall my XP to correct some errors i will have a try on the 1.02 to see if the drivers, the HW, and the game itself would came together(bear in mind that E6600 is running 2,4GHz on both core)