Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

ArmA SP demo out?

http://www.gamestar.de/community/gspinboard/showthread.php?t=255576

Someone claims that in the new edition of the german gaming magazine "PC Action" there's a SP Demo of Armed Assault.

Quote[/b] ]Armed Assault Einzelspieler

In unserer exklusiven Einzelspieler-Demo des Taktik-Shooters Armed Assault absolvieren Sie zwei Einzeleinsätze. Auf einer verkleinerten Version der Insel Sahrani nehmen Sie eine "Reinigungs"-Operation durch, das heißt, sie reinigen das Gebiet von feindlichen Truppen. In Einsatz Nummer 2i lernen Sie, wie man in Armed Assault einen Hubschrauber fliegt.

Armed Assault Single player

In our exclusive singleplayer demo of the tactical shooter Armed Assault you do two missions. In the first mission you perform a cleansing operation, in the second you learn how to fly a chopper in ArmA.

Sounds great! More importantly, "Sexy Sodoku" is out!! smile_o.gif

I wonder if it will be available as a mission only download that adds onto the current demo.

Just seen the Feb issue of PCGamer (or was it Format?) and it stated both SP and MP demos of ArmA in it.

I think in all their wisdom, to lure customers, they've advertised the demo as being SP and MP, when it's in fact the demo we've been playing for months...

Don't you think we'd be the first to know if an SP demo was released? wink_o.gif

There is a single player demo, and the mp  demo has a slightly different server lobby.

I got mine from pc gamer on the 15th feb

Sp has 3 missions, secure the town,helo training and commander training

There is a single player demo, and the mp demo has a slightly different server lobby.

Now why the hell isn't the SP demo on the net? If it's the Feb issue, that means the demo has been out for at least 18 days now.

BIS, plan to release the demo to everyone else? Why does some PC mag get it before the rest of us?

There is a single player demo, and the mp  demo has a slightly different server lobby.

Now why the hell isn't the SP demo on the net? If it's the Feb issue, that means the demo has been out for at least 18 days now.

BIS, plan to release the demo to everyone else? Why does some PC mag get it before the rest of us?

Nope, PC Gamer was only released on the 15th, as BadBone said - not sure about PC Action. The timing of the release seems to imply that BIS want to catch the attention of 505-area consumers to try and buy. It's a bit useless to me since by the time PC Gamer is delivered at the shop where I have it reserved for me my copy of ArmA should arrive at my house. If people are determined to by ArmA on the 16th they get to have a fill of a SP Demo for only one day before they have the full game anyway. I think it's clearly to appeal to more undecided and/or new customers rather than to keep us ticking over.

I say again though they may have scored a faux pas with PC Gamer because the mag gave ArmA a pretty stinging review (because they bloody reviewed the 1.02 version not the 1.04 version) it could leave them scared off ArmA regardless of what they think of the demo.

Overall I think it would have been wiser to release it on the web too - though I believe they should do shortly. Releasing the demo now could work well for the American audience. I remember when I first played the OFP SP demo which was some months before it was first released. I was completely hooked and from that point obscesed myself with buying it when it came out. Compare that with Battlefront 2 that I played the demo while it the game was out and on a whim liked it and on a whim went out and bought it, and after about a month or two, never played it again. It depends what BIS are trying to achieve here.

Though I have to say, much as I would have loved to have the SP Demo out a month ago or so - because I don't really play on-line and found the off-line options couldn't keep me going - at the end of the day BIS don't have many resources and it's very easy to say "oh well they obviously timed it etc" when really they didn't release the SP demo any earlier because they were so commited to having v.104 ready and that much improved for release on the 16th. And I am more than happy and grateful that this is the case.

...My post is going all over the place isn't it? confused_o.gif

Nope, PC Gamer was only released on the 15th, as BadBone said - not sure about PC Action.

Thanks, I missed that.

But the demo had to be ready well before the magazine was released, since they have to manufacture the discs.

So it is still stupid that we don't get the demo. Hopefully it will be released tomorrow. There is no reason to keep the rest of us waiting. ArmA only comes out on Feb 23 here, so it would be nice if I got to play some singleplayer. The MP demo doesn't show much and got boring pretty quickly.

You are not missing much guys, secure the town is over in a flash, helo training fairly quick to.... and a bitch to get my saitek evo to respond correct banghead.gif

Command training looks ok and lasts longer............i found it quite difficult as ive never played ofp whistle.gif and was stuck on the controls ( anyone point me in the direction of a pdf manual or something? )

I loaded up my troops in a truck, got a driver in my humvie and ended up having to get out to issue orders all the time, pressed space bar to many times and had a command box instead of my cursor moving about the screen help.gif

Excellent game though, doesnt look that special on my old graphics card, i turned every thing right up and fell in love with ArmA there and then inlove.gif , couldnt move on screen though lol.

New graphics card comming soon, i think ive found where my life will spent over the next few months smile_o.gif

well maybe pc format or whatever got a deal to release it first..? or something? :S