Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Problems with Upgrade, PLZ HELP.

Lo all,

i finally made a small upgrade to my computer.

I changed all components to the new box and went well...

But im having some problems running ARMA, it wount run ARMA after the "nosplash".

Arma ran with my old specs but not with the new upgrade. any idea?

Old specs:

<ul>box: atx with 300w power supply

board: ABIT AI7

cpu: Intel P4 3.0Ghz

Ram: 2x256mb + 1x512mb + 1Gb => 2G (all in ddr 400)

card: ati radeon 9700 pro 128ram

Upgrade (<span style='color:blue'>in blue</span>)

<ul>box: <span style='color:blue'>Super-Flower SF-561T2-SL Black</span>

Power Supply: <span style='color:blue'>LCPower Supersilent V2 550w Rohs</span>

board: ABIT AI7 (AGP)

cpu: Intel P4 3.0Ghz

ram: 2x256mb + 1x512mb + 1Gb => 2G (all in ddr 400)

card: <span style='color:blue'>Sapphire Radeon X1950Pro 512MB ddr3 AGP</span> (ive downloaded this drivers on the net: 7-1_xp_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_40211.exe)

the problem is when ARMA starts to load (when we see the chopper image).. when it starts to load the game freezes and the monitor go to sleep (stand by mode) but cumputer continues on, locked or something. So i have to reboot pc.

does anyone have any idea whats wrong or experienced the same situation?

I tryed to run OFP and same thing happened..

PLZ HELP! confused_o.gif

PS- I ask moderators not to lock this thread till i solve the problem. Move it to a proper place if needed. (didn't know where to put exactly)

Wich OS are you using? If u have vista that could be the problem...

I have the same card.

Make sure your new power supply is DECENT. Some are cheap and are tested poorly so that information on the side of the PSU is not correct when the PSU is under strain.

You need 30Amps on the 12V+ rail or 22A on both rails of a dual 12V+ rail PSU. Check your side of your PSU for this info...

If you dont have that, it wont work. I have an Enermax Liberty 520W and it runs sweetly.

---------------------

If thats not the case then check that the card is seated in your slot properly... check settings in ATI Catalyst... delete your ArmA.cfg file in your My Documents/ArmA folder so that settings get reset...

p.s. this should be in troubleshooting...

im using Windows XP Professional version portuguese + sp2.

about the power supply:

this is the info available on the web site:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">LCPOWER SUPERSILENT V2 550W ROHS

Link Produto: LCPower

Descrição: -Fonte de 550w

-Fan de 120mm

Conectores:

-24-Pin,

-4-Pin,

-2 x Floppy,

-7 x Molex,

-1 x SATA,

-1 x 6-Pin-Server

Garantia: 2 ano(s)

on the side it says:

<ul>ATX12V switching power supply

voltage: 230v

current: 4A

its says more about it.. i just dont understand much about power supplys sad_o.gif

ill try to get a pic of it.

edit:

pwsupply.jpg

tried older driver like 6.12 ?

the problem is when ARMA starts to load (when we see the chopper image).. when it starts to load the game freezes and the monitor go to sleep (stand by mode) but cumputer continues on, locked or something. So i have to reboot pc.

Are the other games OK?

well i dont play other games..

i only have OFP and ARMA on my computer and both dont work.. they stop loading like i said. both :\

you could also check in ATI Control Panel that AA and AF are not forced on the graphics card (switch everything to 'let application decide). Prolly won't help but worth checking.

Hi,

I had a similar problem (screen going stand by) when I bought ArmA. After I pulled out my ISDN PCI card, it worked flawlessly. Might be some IRQ conflict.

Your power supply has two +12v rails, each capable of 18Amps max.

Jack-UK said "You need 22A on both rails of a dual 12V+ rail PSU".

I'm considering getting the same card, it seems to be a total bargain. Looks like I'll need a new PSU as well...

-Try also tweak refresh rate. I use different refresh rate (75 hz) on desktop and in games (60 hz). That seems to cause problems with ati x800. With my ArmA that hasn't been issue, but others games like OFP, Oblivion and Gothic 3 freezes, or other ways ruins game, quite often if refresh rate is same with desktop and game.

-One other suggestion... This is very long shot, but tune desktop's resolution to higher than game uses. So if ArmA has 1024x768 turn you desktop resolution to 1240x1024. My combat mission-series seems to lock my computer just like yours ArmA, but that resolution thing fixes it... I hate this new era and it's no-good and unreliable graph cards!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

edit: AHA! fasad figured out reason why it doesn't work.

silly question, but i notice you went from an old agp card to a new graphics card, when you installed the new hardware did you connect the pci-x/molex power supply to the graphics card ? its a small 6/4 pin connecter that connects onto the graphics card at the far edge (opposite side of the metal case bit). The symptoms you explain can be put down to insufficient power on the card (ie works for 2d operations but falls over and dies in 3d).

Bravo 6, your PSU is unfortunately insufficient. The problem you described fits this analysis. I had the same problem last week, my PSU could not handle the overclock I had on my graphics card and that exact same thing would happen. The computer would appear to be running but nothing would be visible on the monitor as if it were off and a forced reboot was required. That is now fixed with my new power supply. Did you order the PSU online or buy from a shop? Either way attempt to get a refund and look into buying something like this.

Unrelated to your problem but thats an odd RAM setup you have there. If you were to get another 1GB stick the same as your current you could run in dual mode whih should prove to be much faster than what you have now. Something to think about for a future upgrade perhaps.

Bravo 6, your PSU is unfortunately insufficient. The problem you described fits this analysis. I had the same problem last week, my PSU could not handle the overclock I had on my graphics card and that exact same thing would happen. The computer would appear to be running but nothing would be visible on the monitor as if it were off and a forced reboot was required. That is now fixed with my new power supply. Did you order the PSU online or buy from a shop? Either way attempt to get a refund and look into buying something like this.

Unrelated to your problem but thats an odd RAM setup you have there. If you were to get another 1GB stick the same as your current you could run in dual mode whih should prove to be much faster than what you have now. Something to think about for a future upgrade perhaps.

ok.. looks like the problem is the power supply.. all tempt to say the same thing..

i have a cable connected to the back of the video card.. that cable comes from the power supply. Its connected. I have 2 slots to connect but i connected 1 like they say.

i thought this power supply was enough. I bought the power supply from a computer shop.

If the power supply is the problem what kinda power supply do i need or you guys suggest?

cheers.

Ok, you are Portuguese, right? Well I dont know of any online Portuguese sites but they would be expensive anyway. Go back to the shop you got the power supply from and see if you can exchange it (will probably need to put some more money into it) for one equivilant to the Enermax in my above post. On the +12V rails there must be a minimum of 22A (do not worry about what this means, just remember the values, write them down and take your notes to the shop, ask to see the label on the PSU if it doesnt tell you on the box and match the values up).

How can a 550W power be insuffcient?

Did you keep your windows installation? If so, Arma prolly has the settings from your old gfx-card and is trying to run with those settings on your new card. I don't remember what file this is defined in but it is in My documents/Arma. Try renaming the folder and try again.

Btw, shouldn't this be in the troubleshooting thread?

Edit: Typo in PSU Watts

Ok, you are Portuguese, right? Well I dont know of any online Portuguese sites but they would be expensive anyway. Go back to the shop you got the power supply from and see if you can exchange it (will probably need to put some more money into it) for one equivilant to the Enermax in my above post. On the +12V rails there must be a minimum of 22A (do not worry about what this means, just remember the values, write them down and take your notes to the shop, ask to see the label on the PSU if it doesnt tell you on the box and match the values up).

i bought my power supply here:

http://www.chiptec.net/index.php?catid=8&subcat=85&pagina=0

mine is on the 2nd page at bottom.

can you see wich on will certainlly work?

Did you keep your windows installation? If so, Arma prolly has the settings from your old gfx-card and is trying to run with those settings on your new card. I don't remember what file this is defined in but it is in My documents/Arma. Try renaming the folder and try again.

Because wattage is not the only important thing in a power supply. Just like on processors for example, a 3.5Ghz Pentium 4 will be beaten by a 1.8Ghz Core Duo processor.

The amount of amps supported on the rails is important, an usually overlooked detail that leads to issues such as the one in this topic.

yes i kept my windows instalation. but i already uninstalled ARMA and installed it agaim.

i also deleted the folder on the "C:\Documents and Settings\bravo 6\Os meus documentos\ArmA", so there is no details of old info.

i have a cable connected to the back of the video card.. that cable comes from the power supply. Its connected. I have 2 slots to connect but i connected 1 like they say.

Are you sure you were only meant to connect 1? I read a review of that very card which mentioned it needed 2 molex connections. (mind you, don't plug both in based only on my recollection!!wink_o.gif

Also, as somebody else has said, your RAM set up is less than ideal. You would improve performance by using 2 or 4 identical sticks. A bigger total is not always better!

well i dont play other games..

i only have OFP and ARMA on my computer and both dont work.. they stop loading like i said. both :\

Before you change your power supply, i would strongly suggest you to try some other 3D app. Like 3DMark and others, they are free to download. Or even the tiny util ATI Tray Tools, it has a built-in 3D module for overclocking tests.

Quote[/b] ]i have a cable connected to the back of the video card.. that cable comes from the power supply. Its connected. I have 2 slots to connect but i connected 1 like they say.

....Do you mean there are actually 2 power supply slots at the back of the video card? If so, why do "they say" to connect just one?

Also, _check_ there are no other devices connected to the power cables that come to the video card. There should be "clean" power lines supplying the vid card.

This firingsquad.com review mentions it needs both powers plugged in!

Quote[/b] ]If you forget to plug in one of the Molex connectors, or one of them comes loose, the card won’t operate – during POST the system fails to get a video signal. Like the GeForce 6800 Ultra, each Molex connector needs its own dedicated power connection – in other words, if you run one power cable with two power connections into the card it won’t operate. You need to run two separate, distinct power cables to the card in order for it to function properly.

With this in mind, we were a little disappointed to see that Sapphire only includes one power adapter cable with their Radeon X1950 Pro AGP card. Back in the GeForce 6800 Ultra days, NVIDIA’s board partners were very good about including two power adapters. Fortunately, you can piggyback one or both of the card’s power connections on other devices, say for instance a hard drive(s) and/or optical drive(s); just make sure you aren’t using the same physical power cable to power both of the graphics card’s Molex connectors and you’ll be okay. Of course, a wiser move on Sapphire’s part may have been to just use the same 6-pin power connector Sapphire uses for their PCIe boards, that’s the solution PowerColor has implemented on their X1950 Pro card and we haven’t noticed any problems with it.

Look into it... I can't imagine they would put two connections on the card unless it needed them both? Again, don't do anything that might blow your card up based on my assumptions. Read the manual! wink_o.gif

what pisses me is that in the instructions they dont show or explain that procedure. ARF!

also in the plastic bag that contained the card mentioned a small cable similar to those that are used in the floppy drivers and in the 9700 pro 128 card.

so i need to connect both slots with different cables connecting to the power supply, yeah?

i dont want to blow this 229€ card just in the first day biggrin_o.gif