Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

Solved the trouble I have....BUT!

All my settings, sounds, graphic and controls are all reset by it self...how nice.  banghead.gif Thx alot for the excellent customized FOV tricks....NOT!  band.gif

-----------------------------------------

EDIT:

Found a much easier way to do it:

UNA FOV replacement

by

UNA Walker

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3255

People could menstion/write a guide for those who don´t have so much experience, when something like this, customizing of FOV, could explane it abit better like it will reset all your setting in the game if you do this and that. Not all of us, spendt so much time in front of the computer and messes with it.

I don't want to start another topic with this. I'm quite happy with the fps of my HD3850 AGP. I get between 20 and 80 fps from North to South. But is there any GPU out there that can handle Paraiso ? 80 fps in the desert are wasted if you approach a town adn the fps drop to 10 -20. ?

I am planning to upgrade to a new video card soon to run ArmA and ArmA2 in all their glory and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I already looked into the GTX 280 and they are way too expensive but I know, in the long run it will be worth it. But maybe some place in a lower cost level, I am looking at the EVGA 8800 GT or 9600 GT, or Galaxy or XFX GeForce 9800 GTX for $134. Then there's the PNY NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card for 139 at Best Buy but I hear it heats up really high. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core processor

2.21 GhZ, 2 gigs RAM

VisionTek Radeon X1300XT/1600 Pro 1650 with PCI Express for graphics

thank you all

I am planning to upgrade to a new video card soon to run ArmA and ArmA2 in all their glory and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I already looked into the GTX 280 and they are way too expensive but I know, in the long run it will be worth it. But maybe some place in a lower cost level, I am looking at the EVGA 8800 GT or 9600 GT, or Galaxy or XFX GeForce 9800 GTX for $134.  Then there's the PNY NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card for 139 at Best Buy but I hear it heats up really high. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core processor

2.21 GhZ, 2 gigs RAM

VisionTek Radeon X1300XT/1600 Pro 1650 with PCI Express for graphics

thank you all

4850X2 Beats 280 and is cheaper. Dont bother with 9800 series get something that is worth it cos you regret it later.

except ARMA dont uses crossfire so you will be using just one of the cores on the 4850x2

except ARMA dont uses crossfire so you will be using just one of the cores on the 4850x2

Am not entirely convinced that's true dual gpu, my performance seem as good as any other game.

Edit - Actually your right :P . I have crossfire on , it doesnt make a difference to when its off. So whats the deal? Is ArmA II going to work with it better?

Hi All

I'm running Arma and various mods and addons etc. on the following spec :

C2D 2160 o/c'd to 3Ghz / 2gb PC6400 RAM / OEM Samsung 80Gb SATA / Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Mobo / Audigy2 ZS / PNY 8800GTS 512 / Win XP / Samsung 2232BW 22" LCD screen / 480W PSU

Generally performance is OK, though I get the texture popping when zooming in and out with scopes, which (imho)can effect gameplay as it sometimes looks like there are enemy behind bushes or trees, and it takes time to confirm.

My question is regarding the disk - I have a 37Gb Western Digital Raptor drive sitting around, which would be enough to store Arma and all the extras I use. If I reinstall to the faster disk, would this appreciably help the texture popping, which I think is mainly caused by disk swapping ? Also, would I have to reinstall all the patches, or just 1.14/15 ?

Thanks for any advice/guidance.

cjph

4850X2 Beats 280 and is cheaper. Dont bother with 9800 series get something that is worth it cos you regret it later.

Are you talking about the ATI Radeon? I hear 8800's are not being sold anymore. Another person said to stay away from the 9800 series.

Are you talking about the ATI Radeon? I hear 8800's are not being sold anymore. Another person said to stay away from the 9800 series.

i can recommend the radeon ati 4870. Its fantastic performance on most games including Arma (which does need a strong CPU as well).

its not expensive and then if arma2 supports crossfire you can buy another 4870 (which should be even cheaper then) and have even greater performance.

Is it me or the new Catalyst 9.2 driver are giving a good performance boost?

@Chammy

Yes, the ATI Radeon.

Hi,

I would like to know, from people using a 24 inch monitor native resolution (1900 X1200) :

which video card you have and how many you have (sli, tri sli or one) and what are the video options (view distance, textures..etc) your game is set to get an average of 40-50fps.

I'm asking this because I want to buy a new rig in may that could run arma to very high settings with 10 km View Dist (since mine can barely run arma 1) and I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch monitor, but I dont want to throw 1000$ on video cards (in that case, I will lean towards a 22 inch instead)

So this is it, a pretty long question but thanks for anwsering.

One GTX 285 should be able to do 4-5km view distance on 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 with no problem, but if you had SLI it'd be much better. However I'm not sure if SLI scaling works with ArmA, but it should be much more optimized for ArmA 2.

I have the following Specs:

AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6Ghz

ATI Saphire HD4870 1GB Vram

4GB Ram

X-Fi Sound Card

XP Pro x32

22" Monitor

I run ArmA on the following settings:

View Distance - 5033

1680x1050x32

Everything else on high, some things on Very High. I can run everything on Very High but I like having a higher View Distance smile_o.gif  ArmA still looks damn good.  Can't wait for ArmA II

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

2x 1GB DDR2 RAM

Windows Vista Home Basic 32-Bit

Settings:

1600x1200 with 2500 View Distance and all other settings maxed out except for AA which I run at Very High.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @ 3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

2x 1GB DDR2 RAM

Windows Vista Home Basic 32-Bit

Settings:

1600x1200 with 2500 View Distance and all other settings maxed out except for AA which I run at Very High.

How is your frames? I'm curious because my set-up is similar to yours and I'd like to compare. Thanks!

I must admit I'm quite impressed with the performance of my GTX 280 in all of my games. I have a mate who has an ATI 4870 and I scored only slightly above him in 3DMark06, so I can see that there may not be much benefit to the 280. However, it still runs ArmA great and, hopefully, will run ArmA II good as well.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB

2GB DDR2 RAM

Windows XP Professional SP3

Settings:

Full settings with 1440x900 resolution and 2000m view distance. Runs between 30 and 120 FPS (with vsync disabled).

I got a hardware qeustion,

is this a good processor for most games?

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200

thanks in advance

Games do not use 4 cores yet,maybe not next few years.Get fastes dual (E8600 is fastest) core you can afford.

Games do not use 4 cores yet,maybe not next few years.Get fastes dual (E8600 is fastest) core you can afford.
A quote from the dev,AKA :Suma

"Currently I can provide only an estimation, for final words you still have to wait for later:

Our intention is to scale at least to some extent to quad cores (this means with quad cores you should have either better performance in some scenes than in dual cores). Therefore the game should run better on Quad Core compared to Dual Core assuming they both run at the same frequency.

That said, you can get higher frequency Dual Core for the same money as you could get Quad Core. My prediction is 3.3 GHz Dual Core will most likely run the game better than 2.5 GHz Quad Core, while both will cost you approximately the same.

One thing to note: different scenarios / workloads may show different performance patterns - e.g. it is possible missions with huge numbers of units will runner better on 2.5 GHz Quad Core than 3.3 GHz Dual Core.

Disclaimer: this is only a prediction and things can still change before the game is released. " Do your self a favorer buy the biggest fastest CPU you can afford, skimp on RAM, Vidcards ect, you can upgrade them later.

Could someone tell me a good control config for (Extremeâ„¢ 3D Pro) in arma iv tried mapping myself but keep messing it up .

tyvm

Ok so now i bought a HD4870 1 GB.

I tryed it out on Arma and everything looks real good.

But after playing a while the screen get totally messed up, textures disappering, then a freeze and then my computer restarts. :eek:

Then i started to search for the problem, took me but then i used ATI tray tools to set up so i could see how much free video memory that was availible.

When the game starts its up to 1 GB, but as you play, load up the map and get ingame it decreases. That feels normal, when you load textures the free availible memory goes down. But it never goes up again!.

When the game starts I got around 700-800MB of free memory, then i fly around alot so the game need to load a lot of textures, but as i fly around it never stabilises, it just drops and when i get to around 500MB of free video memory the game and my computer crashes. If i fly it down to about 600 and then go back to the main menu, there is still only 600MB free. If I load a new map and fly around it starts to go down from there.

And the funny part is, that it resets back to 1GB-800MB whenever i Alt+Tab out and in of the game. I can play for as long as i want as long as i reset it like this.

It's not like this in other games i tried, usually it goes back up again when loading another another map or such. Or when you'r not making the game load anything.

I thought it was my CPU that was clogging up at first, but since I can play as long as i Alt+Tab out and in, it doesnt seem to be the problem.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is, is it the GFX card, the game, or the driver? I don't want it to be like this in Arma2 as well.

Im using the Arma 1.16 patch.

Hi there is / was (Not sure if it was fixed completely) a memory leak and memory handing issues with ARMA. version 1.16 was to help ATI users but mine were fixed previouly seen I have nvidia graphics. Try lowering some setting and see if it helps the more textures you load the quicker it will crash but below a certian point it will run with out crashing. Sorry it not much of a help, seen you have the card you want to use it to it's full capacity. Also a lower View distance can help some times also. I have read that ARMA 2 souldn't have these issues (Can't remember where but) so just hold out for a month or so and you should be sweet.

Ok so now i bought a HD4870 1 GB.

I tryed it out on Arma and everything looks real good.

But after playing a while the screen get totally messed up, textures disappering, then a freeze and then my computer restarts. :eek:

Then i started to search for the problem, took me but then i used ATI tray tools to set up so i could see how much free video memory that was availible.

When the game starts its up to 1 GB, but as you play, load up the map and get ingame it decreases. That feels normal, when you load textures the free availible memory goes down. But it never goes up again!.

When the game starts I got around 700-800MB of free memory, then i fly around alot so the game need to load a lot of textures, but as i fly around it never stabilises, it just drops and when i get to around 500MB of free video memory the game and my computer crashes. If i fly it down to about 600 and then go back to the main menu, there is still only 600MB free. If I load a new map and fly around it starts to go down from there.

And the funny part is, that it resets back to 1GB-800MB whenever i Alt+Tab out and in of the game. I can play for as long as i want as long as i reset it like this.

It's not like this in other games i tried, usually it goes back up again when loading another another map or such. Or when you'r not making the game load anything.

I thought it was my CPU that was clogging up at first, but since I can play as long as i Alt+Tab out and in, it doesnt seem to be the problem.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is, is it the GFX card, the game, or the driver? I don't want it to be like this in Arma2 as well.

Im using the Arma 1.16 patch.

oooh i have buyed that card to!

To bad myn was broken when i received it so now im waiting for them to send a new one.

I'm running dual 275gtx, i7 920 @ 3.20, corsair ram 1600mhz 6g, vista ultimate x64, How do I access the FPS module?

I trying to see what my FPS is. Also, should I be ok to run everything at max? and what's a good Draw Distance?

I also running 15. not 16.beta.

Should I be running 16?