Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

I'm having problems with low fps is it my settings or should I get a ew box(computer)

P4 2ghz

geforce fx5500

2gig ram

I'm having problems with low fps is it my settings or should I get a ew box(computer)

P4 2ghz

geforce fx5500

2gig ram

Buy an newer video card, as the FX5500 is way to slow to handle any newer games.

It must be at least an GeForce 6600GT, or above, any older card will not help that much.

If you still have an AGP slot for the gfx card, then buy a new computer someday.

If it's PCI-Express, just buy a new gfx card.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

I am having some serious issues with my new hd4870...

I cant even play 1280*1024 high because framerate drops below 20 and also very often stuff turns into a "polygon mess".

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221....MG]

Anyone else have this problems with 1.14 and a hd4x series card?

No issues at all for me. Had issues with 8800 gts though. It's all smooth on Very High graphics, and no graphics errors even after long sessions.

Hey ,

I'm wondering how well my rig can play ARMA.

GPU : MSI 8800GT 512Mb OC'd to 660MHz Core

Ram : Kingston 2GB DDR2 1066

CPU : AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core

Motherboard : MSI K9A2 Platnium

8800 are good as far as you don't use too much texture.

phenom 9850 run @ 2.5ghz, so it's decent , but not optimal.

you need to push it to 3 , or 3.5ghz. don't know if it's doable with phenom. but it is with core2 ...

Ok , well I tried it out and I found that I can play it semi-smoothly with everything bumped up and viewdistance set to 10000. Of course it does lag once in a while , paticularly around cities so I bumped it down to 5000 and its all good. I may experiment with overclocking it later like you said GL33k. Honestly , Anything is better than playing ARMA with everything set to Low [Old pc sad_o.gif]

I am having some serious issues with my new hd4870...

I cant even play 1280*1024 high because framerate drops below 20 and also very often stuff turns into a "polygon mess".

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221....MG]

Anyone else have this problems with 1.14 and a hd4x series card?

No problem here with ArmA 1.14 and a HD4850, runs at 1600x1200 and everything on very high.

you need to push it to 3 , or 3.5ghz. don't know if it's doable with phenom. but it is with core2 ...

It is not only the core speed that count, and pushing it from 2.5Ghz to 3.5Ghz is probably the best way to kill the CPU.

It is not only the core speed that count, and pushing it from 2.5Ghz to 3.5Ghz is probably the best way to kill the CPU.

Humbug. You just keep the cpu cool and it will live. Always clock the FSB as high as possible with low multiplicators and stock vCore if possible.

After all my barton still lives although being quite overclocked for about 6 years now - im confident my c2d will do fine too, no worries here.

edit: Not saying that pushing 1gig out of some idontknow cpu wouldnt kill it w/o proper precautional measures biggrin_o.gif

I think to cool it a bit with liquid oxygen will help, no doubt. biggrin_o.gif

Hah, a mate of mine once had this vaporizer stuff, -40° (minus! ) on the CPU. But the system was quite a bitch to maintain running, lots of starting problems etc.

Think i got the name wrong though, google search for vaporizer only brings up smoking devices tounge2.gif

The same problem that some Nvidia cards had when the Temp was below +40°C. The hardware is designed to work at a specified Temp range, but for the Nvidia Card it was an bug, as somewhat below +40°C at the GPU is not an uncommon Temp for an properly cooled system.

When you cool down an CPU to -40°C you can expect some trouble because of the cooling.

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Hard Drive: 310 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT XFX

Have it at 800x600 72Hz  Graphics Normal

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Low performance on that system is caused by the low end video card, that the 8500 is. It is one from the 8000 series, but slower than some from the 7000 series.

I play at 1360x768 16:9 wide screen 60Hz, Graphics very high, with an 7600GS 512MB AGP card. View distance is set to 4000 meters. wink_o.gif

Low performance on that system is caused by the low end video card, that the 8500 is. It is one from the 8000 series, but slower than some from the 7000 series.

I play at 1360x768 16:9 wide screen 60Hz, Graphics very high, with an 7600GS 512MB AGP card. View distance is set to 4000 meters. wink_o.gif

I use mine on Normal and it Runs Fine I usually have my games at 1024x768, Why is it Slower? I Used to have a 7300 LE What would be the diffrence.

The 7300LE will not be faster than the 8500GT, as it`s an low end card itself.

Buy cards above the x600GS/GT level (7600GS/GT or 8600GS/GT) but never x500 (7500GS/GT or 8500GS/GT) or beyond that. That cards are much slower than the top cards of the line.

Anyone else noticed that setting textures to high or very high actually lets you get higher fps? I always had ArmA running everything on very low (and disabled AA/AF, shadows etc) and suddenly I tried to set textures to high just to see how good it was! I was suprised I got better fps than setting it on very low! Dunno why, but I am happy! Now I can finally fraps in ArmA and making movies! I can´t have shadows on though, and I can use low shaders if not so many units.

My specs:

P4 3.0GHZ, 2 GB RAM, 8600GT 512MB DDR3.

I am getting a new pc this christmas, so until then I can live with the settings. I also have viewdistance to 500...

I think my CPU and FSB of 400Mhz is the bottleneck on my system. 8600GT 512MBDDR3 is good enough for ArmA I think.

Your kidding....

Some people squeezing out 70 FPS (exageration...... I hope) on 7600's and you have 3.0ghz (I hope its dual core... for my own personal "I need a new computer, what should I look for" needs) and an 8600 and you ran it on low....

Seriously, funky, your post scared me... I am starting to think my new computer upgrade isn't worth it.

But to be on topic current specs:

Dell... yes.. a Dell, but not for long (I am building an entirely new computer inside of this baby's case) dimension 8300. In that regard, we got the best of the best when we got it, and really Dell only affects the OS and some programs anyway... and of course the mother board I have no idea about, no product name anywhere.

Nvidia 6800 GT 350mhz clock 1000mhz memory

5 year old Dual core Pentium 4 2.8ghz processors (x86 based, and being built by a company, I can't find anything on what model they are exactly)

1024mb RAM

Acer 1440x900 monitor (I do run it on 1440x900, which does reduce frame rate for me, I had to run crysis in 800x600 to get a playable frame rate)

And I play everything low, although now after Funky, I think I may try playing with textures on high.

I get a decent FPS (no idea what # exactly) but as ive noticed with other games (X3 reunion specifically) I need more RAM and CPU power.

NOW, the new computer I am building.

Evga Nforce 750I SLI FTW Mother board

Evga E-geforce 9800 GTX 738mhz clock

Intel dual core E8400 3.0ghz processors

4gbs Corsair Xms2 DDR2 RAM

Silencer 750 watt power supply (as I'm running on 150watts right now... suprised me, I'm surprised my 6800 even runs right now)

I'm keeping my sound card, as its not that big of a deal, it was top of the line 5 years ago, and is still average right now, and sound isn't that important for me.

I'm thinking about changing my boot drive from the old 5 year old one to my brand new 500gb Maxtor as well, so the OS runs faster (I run all my games off the maxtor and just from the HD speed I noticed a 20% speed increase in loading times)

So, anyone here think my new setup will be good enough to support some more AI and top - highish graphics?

phenom is still slower than C2D at equal frequency. that's why i say that.

a phenom 9850 is inferior to intel Q6600 .

If you are on an ATI system try out the latest 8.8 drivers

New drivers came out on the 20th August, they made Armed Assault much smoother with my ATI 3870. Playing all settings maxed out (including 10 000 view distance) at 1024x1280 with 20 fps in the north of Sahrani.

Thats with a ATI 3870, e2180 2.5ghz processor, and 2 gigs of ram. I'm sure better systems will really enjoy the new drivers.

I have the 2GB RAM, GF 8600GT 512Mb, Intel Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz, Win XP SP2. ArmA runs on 1024x768 with shaders off, shadows on high, 5 000 view distance, AA off, anizo normal, textures etc. normal. My PC is a bit messed up (I'll format it in few days biggrin_o.gif), so I get about 20-30 FPS. I think at clean PC, only with needed programs installed and ArmA, it should be 30+ FPS. (except forests, I have about 15-10 FPS in forests now, so it would be 20-25 FPS at clean PC).