Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

Yep I read a good review on the powercolor 3850 and its a very good card for its price. Highly recommend it.

Best bang for buck at the moment would be the 8800GTS 512 (G92).

Thats right the GTS not the GT, the new G92 core kicks a lot of ass, almost doubling the current 8800GTS 320s in FPS.

Currently pricing at around $430 AUD (380 USD?)

thumbs-up.gif

What about this? What kind of setting should I pick?

AMD Athlon 64 Bit 3000+, overclocked to 2.2 GHz

Radeon x1650 Pro

1.5 GB of RAM

And the rest won't do anything to performance. You think I could run the game at medium-low with the new patch?

Radeon x1650 Pro

1.5 GB of RAM

And the rest won't do anything to performance. You think I could run the game at medium-low with the new patch?

Yes. (Though maybe you will need to install lowplants and tweak the grass)

That`s not correct.

It makes a difference performance wise, if you use onboard audio or an PCI soundcard. wink_o.gif

Radeon x1650 Pro

1.5 GB of RAM

I first played the Czech/Sprocket dnld 1.0 through 1.05 on the AMD +3000,

FX-<s>5500</s>, edit, 5900 Asylum

Audigy sc,

1.5 ram.

I was suprised how well it played on low to medium settings back then.

I'm sure 1.09b would have made it even better.

My current machine:

p4 3.06

2 gb ddr2

7600gs 256mb

I'm planning to change my gpu to x1950gt

will this improve performance? if yes, how much?

I have an X1950 XT 256MB and it is a very good card. ArmA runs great on it with Kegetys' lowplants mod and the new 1.09b grass. But I do have an E6400 processor which make some difference compared to a P4. I reckon you could play with medium-high settings with shadows off (they're really unoptimised).

I think CPU speed helps massively with performance. Getting another 150Mhz out of my CPU probably helped me raise settings further than going from a x1950xtx to a 3870.

My current machine:

p4 3.06

2 gb ddr2

7600gs 256mb

I'm planning to change my gpu to x1950gt

will this improve performance? if yes, how much?

It might improve a little bit, but that's a pointless 'upgrade'.

Go for a HD3870 or even 3850. They're very decent cards and give very good bang for their bucks (especially when compared to their closest nVidia rivals)

Whoo, I've build a new PC. The problem is, I ran out of time to go to the cheap video card computer store, just before the Australia day long weekend. My old puter is AGP, so I couldn't borrow it's video card for testing. I ended up finding a 1996 vintage PCI Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with a whopping 2mb of EDO ram, that has been gathering dust in my shed for the past 8 years. It actually works, it's enough to get into BIOS and run some stress tests! rofl.gif

I wonder if it can run ArmA...

edit: now replaced with an 8800 GT

I have the stock version of Arma. I installed it awhile bacck and it ran pretty crappy on my pc.

P4 3.0 w/ ht

2 Gig ram

128mb 6800 card

Can someone help with suggested settings?

I see there is a beta patch, which I am hoping will improve my performance some. I had alot of graphic anomalies and such. Point is, what patch(s) do I need, and in what order? Thanks for any help. Queens Gambit is not installed.

good evening allthumbs smile_o.gif

i run a similar setup (pentium d 3ghz, 2gb ram blah...). i exchanged my ati 1900gt with an ati 3850 512 mb thingie (not expensive & mine has a non stock cooling fan sitting on top of it... so no problem to oc the ram to around 2000mhz and the gpu to 750)..

1st... patch up all the way to 1.09 beta...

2nd... exchange that graphics card you have... won´t cut it for armed assault...

my settings sofar...

- 1280x1024

- viewdistance 900 (stock opf1.46 settings *lol*)

- terrain detail normal

- object detail very high

- texture detail low

- shading detail very high

- post process low

- af normal

- shadows very high

- aa low

- blood high

runs like a dream. no more lag. bushes/trees/forests are very playable (in fact i don´t feel a difference between playing in a deserted area or a full-blown nothern sahrani forest)... didn´t actually measure my frame rate... but my "felt" impression is that it runs more fluid than old opf does...

the only thing that irks me is that i get the occasional texture lag with textures on high or default...that is kinda odd...given the fact that the 3850 has 512mb video ram *sigh*... more probably that my aging pentium d system isn´t up to the task to feed the gpu adequately...

hope that helps... a new graphics card did the trick for me...armed assault is quite enjoyable... compared to the expirience with the ati 1900gt that is wink_o.gif

thanks, but I'm still in AGP - it's hard to find a card

I wonder how a 7300GT 512 would compare?

7300 doesn´t sound too good... sad_o.gif

3850 is "available" as agp aswell... well available that is if a store has it already in stock...

i am afraid that below nv 7800 line or ati1800 series armed assault is rather... slow... and even with my 1900gt i was kinda dissatisfied sad_o.gif

How works 8800GT/GTS/GTX in arma ? any bug, or limitation to report ?

I have 8800gtx and it crashes.

banghead.gif

I have 8800gtx and it crashes.

banghead.gif

any word of bohemia on it ?

Arma has had vram problems with the 8800 series from the start, some people seem to be ok some dont, unfortunatley for me I get problems. Basically Arma was designed for direct x 9 cards like the 7900 series or x1900 ATI series. I've wasted a lot of time and money trying to get this game working to no avail.

Either I buy yet another video card or quit trying to play Arma, I think I am edging towards the later.

My system is:

Intel CoreDuo E2160

ABIT FATAL1TY FP-IN9 SLI Mainboard

2GB DDR-2 RAM @ 800 PC-6400

SATA2 drives

XFX GeForce 8600GT @512MB DDR2-RAM

My settings you can see here:

aVlftxr.jpg

My statement about the performance is:

- only with these or lower settings i can play missions in the forests of north Sarahni. When i set the postprocessing or antialiasing higher - playing is no more possible.

About the graphics:

- very good terrain graphics with good textures. Some textures on houses, vehicles, destroyed vehicles and ground and the LODs are loading by the engine sometimes too late - when i standing 20 meters or closer in front of it. Thats problematic.

Does serh hoch means "very high" ?

the flaw of the 8600GT is the fillrate. you know it's maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of 8800 class card.

1400x1000 is a bit high. my previous X1900XT could handled 1280x800 nicely. with post processing off , of course... and this old ATI tank is faster than your card. you should think about

lowering resolution.

@spetznaz14 :

okay now let me talk about my opinion on these 8800...

BLOODY HELL!!!!! POWAAA!!

i plugged one on my computer this afternoon, dude i simply let my maxmem@850 , as usual with my ATI , and i cranked all settings to very high. switch resolution to 1600X1200 , i couldnt trust what i was seeing .... texture filtering to 16x , and lod to -1 , finally shading to very high. rofl.gif

nearly 40fps in wood , on plain 4km VD and still more than 30 fps.

i didnt play 2 3 hours long session , but i will soon test it on a long cti or evo game.

on a 2GB computer, i think you could set maxmem at 800 or 850.

it's 300 megabyte more than 512 , you should give it a try , all .

The only time my game crashes now adays, is after several days of ArmA running, and using alt/tab while not actually playing.

Back in mid 07' & those drivers, no SLI, -maxmem=512 (a must), and other tweaks...all gave me solid games, except I could only play @1600x1200 res or else it crashed within an hour or so.

Now I can play at my monitor native res of 2560x1600, with no tweaks, which is twice as clear as before!

Maybe 1 day soon I'll put XPsp2 on a separate raid controller so I can compare.

the flaw of the 8600GT is the fillrate. you know it's maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of 8800 class card.

1400x1000 is a bit high. my previous X1900XT could handled 1280x800 nicely. with post processing off , of course... and this old ATI tank is faster than your card. you should think about

lowering resolution.

Yess, "Sehr Hoch" is "very high" and "Niedrig" is "low". Thats good idea with the screen resolution.

I will buy next 2GB DDR-2 PC-6400 bars. Is it a good plan?

lowering resolution.

Yess, "Sehr Hoch" is "very high" and "Niedrig" is "low". Thats good idea with the screen resolution.

I will buy next 2GB DDR-2 PC-6400 bars. Is it a good plan?

to have 3GB on your computer could be usefull for arma if , per example, you start a dedicated server, say an evolution , and a game client too.

in this case, the ram occupation could rise to 2GB i think. so yes, it's usefull.

edit: XP or vista ? XP it's 3GB max i think

I have xp pro. Not good time for vista yet. I will wait for better performance - maybe with SP2.