Sign in to follow this  
NeMeSiS

Zmod (Crappy Zombie Mod)

Where do you install the .pbo file?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Addons

Quote[/b] ]Too bad you can't make addons call silent. I mean : imagine launching a normal mission you downloaded and then, without knowing it, it turns into a zombie mission. Gniark gniark gniark

Well, you could pull the scripts out of the PBO and call them from the mission editor, you just have to change the paths. smile_o.gif

The next version is supposed to have a decent targeting system (works kinda in a similar way the the OFP version by zombie_mod did), it kinda works, there are still some bugs to iron out but its currently in a better state then first version was. (i got some great help from charonos, he really pulled me trough thumbs-up.gif )

If it works good enough i hope i can release it, after that it will probably become a .fsm or a .sqf, which makes we want to cry, messing around with .sqs is actually more then my brain can handle crazy_o.gif

EDIT: See first post for a messy scheme of what is being worked on.. tounge2.gif

Hey, I wonder if you could get a mirror up somewhere other than rapidshare? Rapidshare wont work for me and I'd love to give this a try sad_o.gif (I know you said you didn't want to, so don't worry about it if you dont want to)

Thanks alot man!  notworthy.gif

EDIT: File not found  confused_o.gif

I'll try again a little later  tounge2.gif

EDIT2: Still not found sad_o.gif

So cool, FINALLY some Z's in the game! smile_o.gif

And I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow! Gonna have some fun! pistols.gif

Keep up the great work!

Great mod! We've been playing a coop mission I created with this zombie mod and it's great fun securing a city from the walking dead.

is there two versions out yet, I noticed that the link at files-upload has a different filename than the one I downloaded, I can't get the file it keeps giving me an error message.

Still can't download sad_o.gif

I'll wait for the next version with groans etc biggrin_o.gif

Any estimate on a release? notworthy.gif

zombie mod is great! hard as hell to kill but setting up 10 m240's at one end off a road and 25 zombies at the other usually does the trick, allthough the last few always drop 5 feet away from my lines. Keep us updated with any updates. one thing i would change would be the amount of damage they can take, i tried setting up a town with them but even with 10 guys if we meet 3 zombies it just turns in 2 a blood bath with the ai going mental and causing friendly fire! but yeah, brilliant addon, a classic, defo

Personally, I think the new attack animations are better than the old OFP ones... But that's just me. smile_o.gif

Lubz t3h z0mbeez! pistols.gifgoodnight.gif

Congratulations on a great initial addon smile_o.gif it's inspired me to resurrect wink_o.gif an idea I was kicking around some years back.

In the summer I'd like to try my hand at zombie logic routines. I did have some rather nice logic worked out that was due to be coded into a fledgling game release but it all got called off. Unfortunately I lost the pseudo code in the site shutdown but it shouldn't take too much to come up with again.

Although I like these zombies, my zombies will be more like the 1978 Dawn Of The Dead zombies, where numbers and penetration make the game a tense affair. The below shot showed me that the ArmA engine can handle lots of zombies, I got about 200 on-screen with no slowdowns in SP, with simpler models and slower logic (slow zombies only need slow logic) and an urban environment I should get quite a crowd going smile_o.gif

ArmA2.jpg

Terrifyingly brilliant!! Very well done man, I absolutely adore this addon inlove.gifinlove.gif

I shat myself the first time I saw them sprinting towards me! biggrin_o.gif Reminds me of 28 days later where the infected are running mindlessly across a field towards a military base whistle.gif

9/10 (only because they don't have sounds yet) tounge2.gif

is there two versions out yet, I noticed that the link at files-upload has a different filename than the one I downloaded, I can't get the file it keeps giving me an error message.

No, my desktop is a mess, when i have another version which i place also at my desktop i just rename the first file by adding a random letter/number in the name somewhere tounge2.gif

@DMarkwick, nice, i guess lower LODs is the key, my old .sqs version never gave me any performance problems as long as i didnt look at all the zombies, now charonos sent me a .sqf version, which is also more efficient then my original idea ( thumbs-up.gif ), i guess the only way to allow more zombies is uglier models.. smile_o.gif

I tested slow zombies for a while, but IMO those were too easy to defeat, as ArmA is mostly open plains/cities its quite easy to see them comming and either kill them or run away before they are close to you. confused_o.gif

@DMarkwick, nice, i guess lower LODs is the key, my old .sqs version never gave me any performance problems as long as i didnt look at all the zombies, now charonos sent me a .sqf version, which is also more efficient then my original idea ( thumbs-up.gif ), i guess the only way to allow more zombies is uglier models.. smile_o.gif

I tested slow zombies for a while, but IMO those were too easy to defeat, as ArmA is mostly open plains/cities its quite easy to see them comming and either kill them or run away before they are close to you. confused_o.gif

Yeah my "previous" version was much more of a FPS game, more like HL2 sort of intimacy, with objects, close streets etc. I've a feeling you may be right, for the slower zombies to work there'd have to be many hundreds all around, although I'd still like to see it. Perhaps I'll make a version that is toggleable fast/slow, with many slow or fewer fast zombies.

I'm not seeing any slowdowns with 200 zombies onscreen, and in fact I have some FRAPS footage of satchel-charging all 200 zombies, and apart from a 2-second pause on ignition there's not much slowdown. Very impressive in fact. They all got blown a few hundred yards in a fan formation, I got footage of wandering through the carnage afterwards as well. I'll try & youtube some of it.

Oh, and also, the first time I satchel-charged them I only got most of them, not all of them. The remainder came after me but I was on the roof of a disused factory warehouse.

Guess what - they followed me up. Not all the way up to the top - just as far as the stairs could get them. Gave me a big fright, it was quite close to a nightmare I had many years ago biggrin_o.gif

They do climb up ladders too which I found out the hard way ^^

anyone willing to share his missions containing these zombies? As I have only very rudimentary mission editing skills, I'd really appreciate it.

hhahaha lol ladder climbing zombies! rofl.gif omg these has to be way more dynamic than the old zombies for ofp then biggrin_o.gif

Can't wait to get my friends to get arma and we can have some zombie counter coop tounge2.gif i think i just named a new game type... yay.gif

hhahaha lol ladder climbing zombies!  rofl.gif omg these has to be way more dynamic than the old zombies for ofp then  biggrin_o.gif

Thanks BI for that, not me wink_o.gif

EDIT: The targeting system you people are currently using is so primitive that im almost ashamed i released it wink_o.gif

The targeting system works perfectly for zombies, actually. I gotta say I modified your zombies slightly (I put them on opfor as well as resistance, which is great if you set resistance to be friendly to east since you can create huge groups of 10-20 zombies and still have 288 of those groups!wink_o.gif

I think coupled this with the armed civilians mod, stuck in the best looking civilians on blufor, and set the zombies on SLA and RACS doing Urban Patrol with Kronzky's awesome Urban Patrol script. Now I've got zombies shambling around the cities slowly until they see a target, wherein they flip out and run. These three things work together so well that it's unbelievable.

The only thing I can recommend changing is 1) default the zombies to all sides so that anybody can use them and change the display names so that instead of showing as Zombie1, 2 -- they just show as Zombie. For some reason having survivors being able to differentiate between lumps of rotting flesh seems a little strange (I've already done this on my modified vers., right now I'm tweaking the display names for Armed Civs and BLUFOR to get the US soldiers to show as Guardsman and the civvies to show as Survivor).

The targeting system works perfectly for zombies, actually.

Not really, its unreliable (can take a while before it knows a target, supposed to be a bug with the nearestenemy command), buggy (zombies have problems with vehicles/persons in vehicles and sometimes they run after choppers while there are targets on the ground whistle.gif ), new system is a bit more heavy performance wise but i have much more control over the zombies and who they should attack (still need to make a new formula for that but thats a piece of cake).

They're zombies, they're not supposed to be smart. I love having the zombies swarm cars and whatnot. I've not tested it with choppers (zombies running after a chopper swinging wildly would be funny) but otherwise it's got the brainrot down.

Just adopt the Microsoft mantra -- it's not a bug, it's a feature!