Sign in to follow this  
putinix77

My AK74

There's also an AK47R (speaking of AK47)

I believe it was an Ak47 refitted for AK74 mag

EDIT: but i also see it mentioned as being a shorter barrel version on on a site.

Since I cant find my big book of guns, does anyone know?

EDIT: but i also see it mentioned as being a shorter barrel version on on a site.

The AK47 and AK74 are different calibers, so I don't see how it could accept AK74 mags. Unless you're thinking of the AKM, it can use bakelite mags like the AK74 but it's still 7.62, and the mags are curved more than the AK74 ones.

Ok, it's the AKMR

"Large numbers of AKM's were rechambered to fire the AK74's 5.45 cartridge to enable standardization of supply without discarding mountains of AKM's."

Heh, sorry for thread jacking...just wanted to clear up my own question.  biggrin_o.gif

"Large numbers of AKM's were rechambered to fire the AK74's 5.45 cartridge to enable standardization of supply without discarding mountains of AKM's."

Can I ask where you read this? Don't think that it could be done in Soviet Union. Too much parts need to be changed or reworked, it cheaper to make a new AK-74.

The AK47 and AK74 are different calibers, so I don't see how it could accept AK74 mags. Unless you're thinking of the AKM, it can use bakelite mags like the AK74 but it's still 7.62, and the mags are curved more than the AK74 ones.

Same mag housing different sized bullet

Thanks to Peter for the info, i mixed the AK-74 ammo up, ofcourse its 5.45 instead of 4.45 ... doh

Same mag housing different sized bullet

Even if the mag fit you'd have trouble loading a 5.45 round into the 7.62 AKM/47. whistle.gif

NO AKM's or Ak-47's were retrofitted to use 5.45mm ammo. It would be too much trouble for what it's worth. I think the 7.62 magwell is even a bit wider than the 5.45 one, so if you were to put a 5.45 in a 7.62 it would not sit tightly and properly.

You CAN use 5.45 mags in 5.56 NATO Ak's.. provided you use 5.56 NATO ammo in the 5.45 mag offcourse..

I didn't mean that they were interchangable I just said they have the same if not simmilar dimensions.