Sign in to follow this  
putinix77

My AK74

Try making the mag a metal texture. Otherwise nice!

I would like to see some of your wood up close.

Cant wait for a release.

Good job... but if your going to label it AK47... please be sure its an AK47 =(... Not a Sharpe'd up AK74.

Good job... but if your going to label it AK47... please be sure its an AK47 =(... Not a Sharpe'd up AK74.

Sorry i mean AK74 whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]isnt it exactly the same texture... just darkened in photoshop etc?

indeed...there's nothing diferent in that texture...what's the point anyway!? does a brighter texture means a new skin!? why dont u try to create a new wood/metal material with the correspondent normal map? that would be something REALLY different.

When someone labels it "My Skin" . I am to assume it is actually their skin, not a copy of someone elses !

More info needed and if its someone elses you MUST state that!

people sure have alot of time to whine on other people that are busy trying to learn more about textuering and editing..

Ridiculous...

Reskin, recolour, who cares? It's an improvement. Leave the guy alone.

And about the metal mag; I think if it's an AK-74, a wood (or black) coloured plastic mag is correct, not metal

And about the metal mag; I think if it's an AK-74, a wood (or black) coloured plastic mag is correct, not metal

Indeed, only Romanians and Polish used 5.45mm steel mags, the Russians used bakelite (orange), plum and black magazines.

Also, you (the author of the thread) made the bolt carrier on your Ak-74 silver, while it should be black like on the BIS one.

And the BIS stock is also off, the Ak-74 has a cutout in the stock like this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums....s_1.jpg

there is no one wood on grip and stock

different types and colors of wood were used to AK74

so there is no one an the only good color

also soviet army has green magazines but rare

AK74 mostly has orange or black magazine

autor made magazine so dark like it was from DDR, not Russia

what concerns Poland - Tantal uses steel mags, but Tantal is no longer in use, it was sold to Iraq

there is no one wood on grip and stock

different types and colors of wood were used to AK74

so there is no one an the only good color

also soviet army has green magazines but rare

AK74 mostly has orange or black magazine

autor made magazine so dark like it was from DDR, not Russia

what concerns Poland - Tantal uses steel mags, but Tantal is no longer in use, it was sold to Iraq

All Soviet Ak-74's had the cutout in the stock. All Soviet Ak-74's used the same type of wood, with 2-3 types of finishes, which was usually reddish.

Soviet and East German bakelite was quite the same in terms of colour.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/FW200/DSC04000.jpg

These are both Soviet (Triangle) and East German (mold mark) ones.

I have only seen one green magazine which was for AKM, not Ak-74.. so forget green ones.

Tantals were actually cutup and sold to the USA for civilians.

try reskin like this bulgak74lh.jpg

and this 73AK74.jpg

It will be great and real biggrin_o.gif

no that is my favorite:

f15t50p152n4.jpg

@ Feb. 11 2007,15:59)]isnt it exactly the same texture... just darkened in photoshop etc?

i hate photoshop i am allways use Micrografiks!

i like the wood style of ArmA! i dont whant to change everything, not all things in ArmA are bad!

The 2 top pictures shown show: Bulgarian and Russian. Major difference between Bulgarian and Russian is the wood used, the Bulgarian doesn't use laminated wood while the Russian one does.

And the bottom one is not an Ak-74. It's an AKM in 7.62 with Bulgarian Ak-74 furniture. Completly different.

Gotta agree with FW there.

A lil hint for people to recon the different AKs:

AK-74/ AK-74M /AKS-74/ AKS-74U

---

- All use 5.45X39 ammo and have less curvy ( compared to old AK-47 and AKM mags ) bakelit plastic mags.

- AK-74s can either have the usual wood mostly in light colours or either black or dark plum coloured plastic buttstock and foregrip,

- AK-74 mags are bakelit plastic in either orange, black or dark plum finish

- AK74M have black mags, foregrip and buttstock.

- AK-74M buttstock can be folded to the side to save space.

- AKS-74 and AKS-74U for colours see AK-74

- AKS-74 and AKS-74U have triangle metal frame buttstocks that can be folded to the side to save space.

- AKS-74U has a shortened foregrip wich along with the foldeable buttstock makes it very compact.

- Sometimes weapons are mentioned with a N designation wich means they have a mounting rail for scopes and NV optics, today this is mostly standard and so the N isnt used anymore afaik.

---

AK-47/ AKM/ AKMS

- All use 7.62X39 amunition

- AK-47 isnt used anymore within the russian army, it was completely replaced with AKM and AKMS

- AK-47s had curvy metal mags

- AKM improvement of the AK design can either have old metal mags or the more common orange or dark plum coloured curvy bakelit mags.

- AKMS has a metal buttstock with a horseshoe shape at the end that can be folded up or downwards on the weapon to shorten it.

---

Most used assault weapons today within the russian army are AK-74 and AK-74M, AKS-74 are mostly for the VDV ( paras ) or Morpeh ( Marines ), however as the AK-74M also has a folding stock it slowly replaces the old AK-74 and AKS-74 within all troop parts.

AKS-74U mostly is used by special forces and Pilots because its a very compact rifle.

Some units still use the AKM and AKMS today, mostly these units are Spetsnaz groups that prefer the puch of the old 7,62 ammo because it has better penetration values wich is a important factor especially in urban or forest areas with lot of stuff that could stop a bullet.

There are also new AKs of the 100 ( 101-105 ) series that partly vary much from the normal 74s, some come in 4,45, 7,62 or other ammo types.

All of them have the black parts and theyre mostly for exports, didnt see them in use with the forces but its quite possible that soem special forces units use a few of them as they mostly can choose their equipment.

---

There is lot more to mention but i tried to keep it short ( still it ended as a long text... tounge2.gif ).

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i thought maybe some find this info usefull.