Sign in to follow this  
The-Architect

What are you guys reading?

Been re-reading some novels by Bernard Werber. Really few books have been translated in english. Just got done with "Les thanatonautes". He's renowned woth his series about ants. Sci-fi/fantastic novels anchored in everyday realities and actual scientific discoveries along with some philosophy and theology. A lot of his writings take original styles.

http://www.bernardwerber.com/

http://www.bernardwerber.com/jeux/jeu_nouslesdieux.html

A video game in preparation actually inspired one of his book series.

He's the director of a movie inspired by his own works that will be released in april.

Right now I'm reading this post...

Oooh, Now I'm reading what I'm writing!

In all seriousness now, I'm reading nothing, as I've read every single (half decent) book that me, my step dad, and anyone else who would lend me a book, owns.

Now OFP has taken over my late night reading time.

In all seriousness now, I'm reading nothing, as I've read every single (half decent) book that me, my step dad, and anyone else who would lend me a book, owns.

That's why we have libraries and bookstores! ;p

I've only recently read Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris" and I feel compelled to recommend it to everyone who's interested in sci-fi with a bit of philosophy thrown in for good measure. I have read the original but I've heard that the English translation is very good as well.

Incidentally, both silver-screen adaptations are very good.

I don't have any libraries near me... (Well... I'm just too lazy to get to the nearest as its quite far away...) and OFP is satisfying enough untill Raymond E. Feist shoves anouther book down my throut... wink_o.gif

Harry poter tounge2.gifnener.gif .

just kidding, i'm reading over now Book about Weapons of mass destruction used in Iraq.

and also love to read political or military Books .

smile_o.gif

I'm reading through All Quiet on the Western Front again, although it's old, it sure is good.

walt whitman : leaves of grass (poetry)

nietzsche : jenseits von gut and böse (original title, sorry i don't know it in english)

Last book i read lately was Ninteen Eighty Four. Amazing book very powerfull.

I've been on and off books lately such as Tom Clancys "State of Siege"

Some of my fav books are stuff like;

The One That Got Away, Bravo Two Zero, Sabre Squadron.

I just finished "A brief history in time"-by Stephen Hawking and I am currently into the process of reading "A History of Western Philosophy And Its Connection with

Political and Social Circumstances from the Earliest Times to the Present Day" by Bertrand Russell.

I full heartedly recommand both books,regardless of your interests and curiosities.They are both very good introductions in subjects that vary from history,ethics,morals,metaphisics etc.

"A History of Western Philosophy And Its Connection with

Political and Social Circumstances from the Earliest Times to the Present Day" by Bertrand Russell.

Wow that title is a mouth-full. It dose sound interesting so I'll be ordering it. Thanks for the recomendation!

I'm reading a book made by former SAS member Andy Mcnab, who has written the amazing book bravo-two-zero about Gulf war and they're SAS operation behind enemy lines gone bad; Anyways the book is (i quess a fictional) story about (apparently andy him self going to panama to assasinate some drug lords son) Don't know the name in english tough banghead.gifbanghead.gif

A couple of weeks ago finished Graham Hancock's "Fingerprints of the Gods". It has some interesting ideas and conclusions about the history of mankind, but overall I like more "wisdom" oriented literature. But I consider myself broad minded.

Thinking about reading Michael Cricthon's "Eaters of the Dead" (loving adventure stuff too, beside heavier stuff). It's a semi-historic story about an Arab guy who travelled to Northern Europe in about 900 A.D. He gives his view about the Viking way of life. The movie "13th Warrior" is based upon this book. But, I really don't care about the setting if the story is good.

Anyway, I'm in the trouble of having too many books to read, so I came to the point where I can't find any worth reading...

EDIT: Oh, and reading poems (or whatever) of C. Bukowski when in a getting-wasted mood.

Since several months i have been reading various books from which at least US copyrights have expired, in the Project Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Along discovering some really great books you may have missed on this Project Gutenberg impressive collection, as it contains several langages that is really great to improve your foreign langages skill.

I'm just reading "The State Of Africa" by Martin Meredith.

The subtitle "a history of 50 years of independence" describes this book well. It's a extremely well written overview about the decolonization of Africa, and the history of its many nations from independence till now. It's a vast topic - way to much for a book of just about 750 pages (including a good bibliography and an index), but somehow the author actually manages to cover it all while still keeping it a great narrative, too.

If you're interested in the topic of Africa (from Nigeria to Egypt, from Lybia to South Africa), this is the perfect book to start with. If anything it gives you the broad overview and solid information base needed for a more thorough investigation on specific regions!

Definitely the best non fiction book I've read in a long, long time.

Currently reading for a second and third time...

- Echart Tolle: The Power of Now

- Anthony de Melo: Call to Love

Sorry guyz, no war theme xmas_o.gif

Nice books, though it's allso good when you have a friend who is actualy walking book. Very inspirating!. smile_o.gif

I'm currently reading The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, it consists of three volumes (Quicksilver, The Confusion and The System of the World) and is a science fiction work set in the 17th and 18th century, concerning religion, politics, romance and most importantly the birth of modern day science.

It mixes actual historical figures (such as Isaac Newton, Gottfried Leibniz and Sophia of Hanover) with fictional ones, giving an interesting portrayal of events that actually took place (and many that didn't! smile_o.gif).

Anybody who likes Stephenson's other works (especially Cryptonomicon) will most likely enjoy reading The Baroque Cycle, and people who are interested in science will definately like it smile_o.gif

Radnik wrote:

Quote[/b] ]- Anthony de Melo: Call to Love

Hej, Radnik!

I liked "Awakening" the most from de Melo. I've read a couple of his books.  IMO the Awakening is the most to-the-point work of his. I could say it greatly changed my perspective.

Radnik wrote:
Quote[/b] ]- Anthony de Melo: Call to Love

Hej, Radnik!

I liked "Awakening" the most from de Melo. I've read a couple of his books. IMO the Awakening is the most to-the-point work of his. I could say it greatly changed my perspective.

Sure...de Melo is great spiritaualist, I read "Awakening" too...he's a little bit radical in some points rather then Echart Tolle who is my top spiritualst. All recomendations.

Now..imagine walking de Melo as your firend (...if you do not have one allready)...hehe I have luck I met one smile_o.gif

Just finished two books, The Thunderbolt Kid : Bill bryson and Life according to clarkson : Jeremy Clarkson

Both were Very funny and an overall Delightfull Read.

I'm reading "Shake hands with the devil" by Lt. Gen. Roméo Dallaire, the Canadian force commander of the UN mission in Rwanda, during the 1994 genocide. For those of you who have seen Hotel Rwanda: the Canadian colonel played by Nick Nolte is partially based on Dallaire.

The book offers a very candid look on what went wrong in Rwanda, how it went wrong, and what could have been done to stop it. Thankfully, Dallaire steers well clear of contrived stylistic devices (the main pitfall of first-time writers), so the book remains very readable throughout its 500+ pages.

Highly recommended.

I'm reading a few different things at once:

The Iraq War:A Military History by Williamson Murray and Major General Robert H. Scales, JR

Al-Qaeda's Armies: Middle East affiliate groups and the next generation of terror by Jonathan Schanzer

Terror in the Name of God by Jessica Stern

Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding by Dan Abnett

The Iraq Study Group Report

Keeps me busy at times.