Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

How come we cannot change thread titles? It seems dumb to accidentally type a thread title or have someone create a really misleading thread title.. and then we have to report it to a moderator... wait, and then hope they change it. It seems logical to allow users to edit the thread title. So then, people can simply say to the OP:

Two main issues:

-Does this old board-software even support user-editing of thread-titles?

-Do we really want to give other people the option to change our thread's titles? I can see the logic behind allowing a thread-creator to edit his own titles, but having everyone able to do so would create flaming and "jokes", as in "Insurgency Warfare mod released!" (just picked a random name) being changed to "This mod sucks!" by someone who doesn't like the mod, or just hates someone on the team.

It creates more problems imo then it solves.

On the other hand so far I had only one problematic user as I pointed him to his sig (I always ask to fix per PM first), everyone else apologized and fixed the problem immediately.

Some of us appreciate your patience and effort to contact the user first.

jdB i'm unsure but this board software (even newer build) is missing tons of features ...

IMHO best are IPB, vB and i heard that good free runner up is http://icebb.net/

maybe someone else know better forum software (feel free to englight me)

about IB i tried ask about some features but i leave opinion about answer to You

http://forums.ikonboard.com/cgi-bin....ry10720

if You think something is missing or important throw it into that thread of 3.1.5 one ...

The problem with "rolling out" a new board-software is that 90% of all boards work with PHP. While this forum may be old, and missing features in even newer versions, it is far more secure as it uses CGI instead of PHP.

I can imagine that BIS would prefer security over "fancy" new features.

CGI-based software is more difficult to install, not exactly something suited for the average user. The Lowlands Warrior [forums] uses Ikonboard 3.1.5, which is a rather new version which appears to work fine. Still if it doesn't have the required options, then it is not worth upgrading to... confused_o.gif

I never meant to seem like I was talking about editing other users threads.. thats just hijacking. I meant in terms of your own thread that you create.

There have been so many topics regarding shootings and things that have a big impact on society, and this one gets locked?

Maybe these "new moderators" should have been around more, then they would see how things go. Great example of amateurism you got right there.

This kind of thread has always been allowed, now I know it will turn into flaming eventually, but a thread shouldn't be closed when it both fits the forum, and no rule is being broken (yet)... confused_o.gif

and, i wanted to just point out that although there are, in fact, other places on the internet to discuss current events, as the mod in the shooting thread pointed out, these other locations are not as well moderated, so the discussions almost invariably become an exercise in half truths, rumors, and flamebaiting ;p

There have been so many topics regarding shootings and things that have a big impact on society, and this one gets locked?

Maybe these "new moderators" should have been around more, then they would see how things go. Great example of amateurism you got right there.

agreed, it does seem odd to have closed that thread - it's a topic I know I was greatly interested in debating. We all know where the topic will likely to degenerate too, but usually the first 10 pages can contain some interesting and useful discussions, till the usual suspects come and ruin it.

In addition, in the first 3 pages of off topic, I can flag 20 or so topics that deserve less bandwidth than a penis enlargement advert, but were allowed to remain open.

In addition, in the first 3 pages of off topic, I can flag 20 or so topics that deserve less bandwidth than a penis enlargement advert, but were allowed to remain open.

I agree with this.

I was interested in that topic aswell, but apparently we are only allowed to discuss armoured cars and computer games...

agreed, it does seem odd to have closed that thread - it's a topic I know I was greatly interested in debating. We all know where the topic will likely to degenerate too, but usually the first 10 pages can contain some interesting and useful discussions, till the usual suspects come and ruin it.

Yeah, bad decision. I remember that events such as these were discussed all the time in the past...

example -- http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....lumbine

School shooting in the Netherlands that claimed 'only' one life...

... I think we need mods that actually have participated on this forum to some extent in the past...

Then again, I suppose that people with less than 500 posts are the only ones who possibly could have survived so long on this board without getting at least one or two warning boxes etc...

Why does this get locked? If the thread title was

"Mod Dies in fatal shootout with the Vegas PD due to stolen military sim PC game"... it wouldn't be locked. A life is a life, as with 32 lifes taken at a school non-the-less. Ether lock all freedom of speech threads and join the communist party.. or allow people to talk about OFF-Topic from ArmA and OFP in the respective category... Gosh.

Sorry for the rant but its insane. I'm just agreeing with the other replys.. Don't scapegoat me.

As I've said in the thread - this forum is not a news site.

We cannot have a thread for every single news item that pops up.

The topics that are discussed here are either directly related to gaming or computers, or possess some ongoing value as far as the political or cultural aspects are concerned.

If this would've been a discussion about the phenomenon of school shootings in general, that would be a different story. But this was about one particular incident, which makes its value as a topic fairly limited.

Bear in mind that moderators are only human and, as I am sure you all know too well, to err is human.

Sometimes a moderator, esp. one new to the job, will make mistakes. Over time, experience helps one guide to better moderating.

As always, the quickest and least painful way to resolve a difference of opinion is to PM the involved moderator, and should he not provide satisfactory answers, divert your PM's to the Head Moderator.

Having a public rant will do nothing but get you in trouble.

Maybe you've deleted all of the others but I'm not seeing any other topics on the first page having to do with current news items.

There is no doubt in my mind that there would have been, as the story progressed, a discussion behind the shooter's motives and such would have ensued and made for a generally interesting conversation...

But it's not as though my opinion or anyone else who has been active here for 5+ years matters so why am I even talking...

Quote[/b] ]If this would've been a discussion about the phenomenon of school shootings in general, that would be a different story

Would you not concede that by locking that thread, you then removed all possibilities of such a discussion, which by your own admission would be relevant on this board, taking place which in such an incident would be the natural course of the debate, along with gun laws...

You're left with the options of one thread that covers three connected topics, or three threads loosely related to each other in which cross posting occurs... at any rate, what's to stop me starting a topic with the exact title you've just outlined and discussing the shooting with reference to the phenomenon of school shootings? Its exactly the same discussion at the end of the day, till the next school shooting (sorry to be a pessimist), and then we can reuse the thread

perhaps there is simply a cultural misunderstanding here...

here in america, this latest shooting sort of became a phenomenon in and of itself. the columbine high school shooting a few years ago did the same thing, and the casualties were only about half as many as this - people talked about it almost constantly for quite a while, and even such things as "going columbine" entered the vernacular (similar to "going postal": to 'snap' into a violent, murderous rampage).. i'd say to argue that this has no "ongoing cultural or political value" might seem appropriate outside the immediate sphere of american news and media, but within the united states this is completely untrue.

i don't want to beat a dead horse, however, and i'm totally fine with the new thread ; i just thought that perhaps the cultural impact in the united states may not be equal to that in other countries, and might be less apparent; thus the reason for the debate on this confused_o.gif

The topics that are discussed here are either directly related to gaming or computers, or possess some ongoing value as far as the political or cultural aspects are concerned.

So how is the 300 thread related? While you're at it you should lock that one as well.

Quote[/b] ]... I think we need mods that actually have participated on this forum to some extent in the past...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You have your topic about the school shooting now. No more need to express your (bad) feelings towards the moderators.

I consider this issue solved.

Is there a way on Ikonboard to add a youtube video to a post? Like on vB and phpBB and some other boards you can implement the video directly into a post. Is this possible with this forum software?

no plan to do so.

it will be abused by some people who wish to push the envelope, just like some people's sig. In fact yours is one of them.

Quote[/b] ]... I think we need mods that actually have participated on this forum to some extent in the past...

Really? Like when people were screaming for mod to stay out of discussion because they "take sides" and can't be a fair mod?

Just look at the shooting discussion thread. Just like 300 thread(which was loosely based on historical warfare) it is still open. On top of that I've been criticized by both sides of the gun law. Stop whining.

Really? Like when people were screaming for mod to stay out of discussion because they "take sides" and can't be a fair mod?

Aren't moderators allowed to have their own opinion. I honestly don't care if they have their own opinion regarding politics. A moderator should be able to set his personal feelings aside during moderator duties.

I think someone who has been more involved in this forum would make a better moderator.

Aren't moderators allowed to have their own opinion. I honestly don't care if they have their own opinion regarding politics. A moderator should be able to set his personal feelings aside during moderator duties.

I think someone who has been more involved in this forum would make a better moderator.

Exactly what I'm saying. When we engage ourselves into forums, we get the usual "wahhh! biased mods interjecting into the discussion", but when we do our duties without any personal feelings, we get some crap like "wwaaaahhh! mods who don't come here suddenly mess with out fun!"

Exactly what I'm saying. When we engage ourselves into forums, we get the usual "wahhh! biased mods interjecting into the discussion", but when we do our duties without any personal feelings, we get some crap like "wwaaaahhh! mods who don't come here suddenly mess with out fun!"

While a moderator can freely participate in any discussion on this forum of course (within the rules of the forum obviously), post restricting or warning someone else in the thread can very well lead to "mods are biased" comments, therefore it would be easier to pass the offending post(s) on to another moderator who has not participated in the discussion to avoid any "suspicion".

It's similar to politicians who have interests in oil companies i.e. should not be allowed to be a part of commities that handle this subject.

As long as the "emotions" of the discussion don't lead to biased moderating I don't see any problem.