Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

Ok, that's it. Matt Rochelle and [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-, you get a 48 hour vacation and WL+1. Take the time to cool off. You are getting way too wound up over a video.
deanosbeano, fine, have it your way. Enjoy your 48 hour vacation and WL+1.

I´m sorry to say, but it´s absolutely ridiculous how you mods treat that matter. You displease members that are actually doing something good for ArmA whilst some feeble-minded individuals whose only intent is to disturb others gameplay go unpunished.

On our forums it´s common to ban all TKC fools, and if there were people who like to brag about tk´ing i´d ban them too.

Even if posting TK Videos is not exactly prohibited by the forum rules you should consider rethinking the whole thing.

Those people ruin the game!!!eleven

Heck, placebo at least would´ve banned everyone band.gif

edit: typo

But the fact is placebo's not here. Its as if people here believe that by divine intervention if we curse and moan enough about it he will appear from the heavens shrouded by a golden light and 'fix' the forums.

Mr Burns

Valid points.

It is a "loophole" so to speak.

You can be sure we will review, thankyou for your concern and feedback

smile_o.gif

Thx for your understanding.

But the fact is placebo's not here. Its as if people here believe that by divine intervention if we curse and moan enough about it he will appear from the heavens shrouded by a golden light and 'fix' the forums.

lmfao ... although i don´t see myself in that you role you almost made me fall of my chair biggrin_o.gif

Doing_magic.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist whistle.gif

Nice, you learned some new moves smile_o.gif

Hope you´re doing fine !

As you can see you really left a huge gap on the forums that has not been filled yet.

All the best again !

http://www.gifs.net/Animati....gic.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist whistle.gif

lol - soon as I saw you were logged in I knew that comment would come to haunt me - I liked the mental imagery though biggrin_o.gif

Can we make a new rule:

"No general whine/nagg-threads",

I mean, I've seen so many threads that say, "Why isn't the game that good?", "Why is that mission so bad?", "Why are the servers full of n00bs?" etc etc.

Most of the threads are already covered in "Open letter to BIS"-thread and alike, but most of the threads that come are just whining and whining and whining.

So, lock and delete the threads, or what do I know, PR the people, give them warning-levels, do whatever.

If the game is so bad, why don't the whiners do better, or even play the game?

With regards

wex

How does one attain moderator status? Do I simply de-register, re-register, and make 100 posts or something?

Can we make a new rule:

I mean, I've seen so many threads that say, "Why isn't the game that good?", "Why is that mission so bad?", "Why are the servers full of n00bs?" etc etc.

Most of the threads are already covered in "Open letter to BIS"-thread and alike, but most of the threads that come are just whining and whining and whining.

So, lock and delete the threads, or what do I know, PR the people, give them warning-levels, do whatever.

With regards

wex

Hmm, it seems that you're making a comment about the way this board is moderated, I suppose you want an automatic 48hr PR +2WL? crazy_o.gif

@blackdog~ :

There are better things than to be a mod. You've got far more fair clout and reputation not being a mod than if you were. Plus you'd have to put up with your ... benefactors ... RTM'ing you day and night.

@blackdog~ :

There are better things than to be a mod. You've got far more fair clout and reputation not being a mod than if you were. Plus you'd have to put up with your ... benefactors ... RTM'ing you day and night.

It has been Blackdogs lifelong dream to moderate the BI Forums, don't take that dream away from him.

Hmm, it seems that you're making a comment about the way this board is moderated, I suppose you want an automatic 48hr PR +2WL? crazy_o.gif

Last time I checked that is what this topic is for. Also I agree with him about the excessively offensive comments that are made.

There are three ways:

-Constructive

-Complaining

-Offensive

wex-q is talking about the last kind, which does not belong on any forum and first of all not this one. Mods on this forum (the addonmakers, not the people that try to keep this forum clean) are sometimes given the same kind of treatment as BIS is, which no one really appreciates either, especially the people that put their time and dedication into it.

A warning or two via PM is fine, but alot of times you get topics created with "YOU NAZIS!", "COMMUNIST DICTATORS" etc...

Warning level increases may not always convey the message the moderating team is trying to send, but if the member continues to post in the same offensive manner, than it will at least ensure that this member will not be able to reach this forum rather soon.

Can we make a new rule:

With regards

wex

Briefly to answer,

Unless someone has broken a rule on the forum we will not lock or delete a thread the later generally being reserved for spam or highly offensive material.

Believe it or not we do not object to complaints or moans on the forum everyone has a right to left off steam but we expect it to be done so in a manner suitable.

However in many cases people step over the line, this is when WL's or PR's are issued.

It's nice to see you posting again Placebo, but I'm afraid you got the wrong wizard there!

I've found the right one for you here ....

doing_wl_magic.gif

... Sorry I couldn't resist!  biggrin_o.gif

Incidentally I do think that the forums are being moderated in a more relaxed manner now. Maybe having a paid moderator is not always such a good idea after all!   wink_o.gif

Incidentally I do think that the forums are being moderated in a more relaxed manner now. Maybe having a paid moderator is not always such a good idea after all!   wink_o.gif

Hopefully we'll get where Paul left off pretty soon. Having new moderators aboard is like having a baby. <s>Busy cleaning up the mess they leave behind</s> You tend to get a little soft and sentimental in the beginning  wink_o.gif

Why are the rules of this forum written in such a negative tone?

Wouldn't it create a more positive and friendly atmosphere into these forums if there would be no negative words in the forum rules?

I am sure it would benefit this community if there would be a more positive and friendly attitude towards new members, from day one. It all starts from the rules.

You can express the same rules as sentences using no negative words.

Also the number of rules is quite high, I think some of them could be combined or removed without losing anything.

Just my opinion of course.

One more thing: You MUST make it easier to find the forum rules! If you want people to follow the rules of this forum then why it is so hard to spot the link to the rules? Why there is no link in the frontpage of the forum to the rules? You don't want people to read the rules? You don't want people to refresh their memory about the rules? I suggest you make it so that no matter what page a user is viewing, a clearly visible (appropriately coloured) link to the forum rules is always on the page.

Why are the rules of this forum written in such a negative tone?

Wouldn't it create a more positive and friendly atmosphere into these forums if there would be no negative words in the forum rules?

I am sure it would benefit this community if there would be a more positive and friendly attitude towards new members, from day one. It all starts from the rules.

You can express the same rules as sentences using no negative words.

Also the number of rules is quite high, I think some of them could be combined or removed without losing anything.

Just my opinion of course.

One more thing: You MUST make it easier to find the forum rules! If you want people to follow the rules of this forum then why it is so hard to spot the link to the rules? Why there is no link in the frontpage of the forum to the rules? You don't want people to read the rules? You don't want people to refresh their memory about the rules? I suggest you make it so that no matter what page a user is viewing, a clearly visible (appropriately coloured) link to the forum rules is always on the page.

Sorry mate, but I disagree.

You had plenty of time to review the rules when you signed up. You can not automatically sign up to the forum, you have to read the rules and then confirm that you read them - ignorance is no excuse, never has been, never will.

Also, that link at the top is quite visible to me, perhaps some people are more attentive and have no problem spotting it.

Either way, the important fact is that people that want to contribute positively will set out to find the rules. For such people, the rules are easily accessible, even though they probably read them anyway when signing up.

As for the negative tone - it serves to instil in people that posting here is a privilege, not a right!

[/moderator hat]

Couldnt have said it any better myself, Ex-Ronin. thumbs-up.gif

You had plenty of time to review the rules when you signed up. You can not automatically sign up to the forum, you have to read the rules and then confirm that you read them - ignorance is no excuse, never has been, never will.

So does this mean that I need to de-register and re-register to read the rules? This is exactly the attitude of what I am talking about. The users of this forum are not here for the moderators, the moderators are here for the users. A link to the rules is not for the forum or for the moderators or ex-moderators, the rules are for the users of this forum and as such a link to the rules should be much easier to find than it is now, especially when moderators are all over the place reminding people of the rules. If you disagree with that then what else can I say than the basic principle is completely wrong. If moderators want people to respect the rules of this forum they then better make sure the rules are never more than one click away. Now it isn't so.

I very well know and understand that when I register, I get to read the rules. The situation changes significantly when time passes. People forget the rules. Moderators revise the rules. The rules have changed since I joined this forum, or do you disagree?

perhaps some people are more attentive and have no problem spotting it

This is exactly the behaviour I am against and why I made my suggestion in the first place. You start to make unfriendly remarks when I propose that the forum rules be improved to create a more friendly atmosphere, and to make it easier for people to find the rules. Why you speak with that kind of tone is hard to understand, as I am not trying to create anything evil and I for sure do my best to respect the rules, and the moderators who deserve to be respected.

Do you really think you do not need to make it obvious for users how to find the rules? The current link to the rules is NOT easily spottable.

Either way, the important fact is that people that want to contribute positively will set out to find the rules. For such people, the rules are easily accessible, even though they probably read them anyway when signing up.

This is just unbelievable - are you trying to imply that I don't want to contribute positively? The rules were not easily accessible for me, as the rules were some time ago posted as a forum thread if I remember correctly. Now the link to the rules is somewhere else than as a sticky topic. Your comment is just unbelievable to be honest - this is exactly the behaviour I do not want to see in these forums... sorry for making a proposal into better, I obviously wasted my time.

Edit #1:

Couldnt have said it any better myself, Ex-Ronin. thumbs-up.gif

All hope is lost.

Edit #2:

...and where did I say that I hadn't read the rules? When you say "you had plenty of time to review the rules" what do you mean, other than I have not read the rules? Did I say I have not read the rules? Show me where I said so. I have not been reminded of the rules, so I really wonder how you came to a conclusion that I had some trouble reading or understanding the rules?

All hope is definitely lost.

Also, that link at the top is quite visible to me

There is no link shown anywhere at all when you use the 'new posts' link to read the forums (as I do).

HaHa! I have to admit though I do sympathise with Baddo over this issue. He does have a valid point and trying to run him into the ground over it is not the way to reply either!  tounge2.gif

There were a few occasions a while back when I wanted to check the rules and you know what ... I gave up looking for them! OK I now know where to look but like Baddo says if you are fairly new here you aint gonna find them in a click. But I think his point about the way rules are perceived and the way moderators answer members concerns is just as valid.

Pride is something we sometimes need to loose in order to be respectful, honest and fair. Just my two cents, but when you get to my age you loose the willingness to listen to those who hold power in favour of those with a good honest argument!

When I speak to someone on these boards I speak to them as equals whether it is a member, moderator or developer and I would expect the same in return.

The moderators should make each forum rules link bold. As you know, making something bold helps it stand out. I have noticed that the forum rules link in ArmA-General is bold but the forum rules link in Off-Topic isn't bold. OFP-Addons & Mods:Complete forum rules link isn't bold either. I suggest the mods check the forum rules links to see if they are bold or not and make the non-bold links bold.

I didn't even know about those links just until a few minutes ago.

I'm using Firefox.

I have added a link to the rules to the help topic for now, but I agree that we need a more visible place for them.

Not too long ago I was desperately searching for them myself, and after unsuccessfully spending several minutes on it, I gave up.

That just shouldn't happen...

I think my path went something like this:

• I was reading a topic (like this page here), and wondered about a specific rule, but couldn't find them on that page.

• So I figured, it must be on the front page, so I looked there. No luck.

• Then I figured - well, perhaps they're different in each section, so I went to a subsection. No luck.

• That's when I gave up...

My suggestion would be to have them visible on *every* page, at the bottom somewhere. That's where you normally expect the legal mumbo-jumbo, and that's probably where most people would look first.