Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

Is it now permitted to post the contents of one's inbox into public forums? I thought that it was forbidden as per the forums rules, but I see now that either I'm on crack or the rule was expunged since I read them last.

As far as I know we never had such a rule. It should be self-explaining that PM means private message. But if one feels like sharing his private stuff with the public, that's his own decision.

Guess that has something to do with the Web 2.0 thingy. smile_o.gif

I think that offensive private messages could be reported to moderators instead of placing them on public display. That way the public argument could be reduced.

But there is no written forum rule about that. <s>So I guess it is everyone's decision what to do with their private stuff.</s>

Edit: Although I have to say that at least in some jurisdictions there are laws which protect private "letters" from being published without permission. It also applies to electronic communications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrecy_of_correspondence

That could very well apply here too. In fact I think it does. So I will retract my earlier statement about "private stuff" above.

My personal opinion is that private messages should stay private if it is not agreed between the sender and the receiver that the message may be published.

I seem to have created quite a shitstorm by posting slipperyjim's PM's to me in that thread.

As W0lle says, there has never been a "dont post the contents of your PM's" rule, otherwise I wouldnt have done it.

The idea of PM's, as I understand it, is to communicate with other members where posting on the boards is not necessarily appropriate. They arent a way to break the forum rules (i.e. flame other members) without reprocussions. I know enough people who have been banned for the contents of their PM's.

Yes, report to moderator might have been the more reasonable choice, but I feel that posting them publically was the best choice of action. I'd explain further, but I really dont feel the need to justify myself here.

As for the secrecy of correspondance, I'm pretty sure that only applies to third parties without the consent of either the sender OR recipient (note: not both).

Anyho, like I said, the PM system isnt a way to break the rules and "get away with it" and quite frankly, I'll do what I please with anything that is sent my way via these forums.

The purpose of the pm posting in question was to publicly illustrate private efforts by the grief-troll to privately manipulate a public discussion through arrogance and ignorance. As this was an effort specifically targeted at affecting a public discussion, and was sent privately to disguise the sender's vitriol from public view, then by all means drag it out into the public light of day for all to see.

If it's a private feud, or random crap, embedded rickroll's, or other diversions, then sure, keep it private. If inflammatory, rtm and hope they feel generous or benevolent. Without direct DB access, a properly designed board should prevent third-party view of private messages. When that liberty is abused for defamation, then the context changes. Freedom of Speech and privacy does not provide for escape from consequences of slander, libel, and malevolence.

The poster has not denied the content of the posted msg's, instead they only complained about the distribution of the msg's.

"Take it to PM" is to keep a topic on track. Side discussions can become heated, but when they turn to insults, they no longer are discussions. These are not slipperyjim's forums, any more than they are DM's, or Placebo's, or anyone else's for that matter. They are BIS's, to do with at their whim and pleasure. It is not a democracy, it is a virtual benevolent totalitarianism.

BTW : (Offtopic) SWLBTCM2 is nearing beta stage, pm blackdog~ for more information and scoop's on the announcement. smile_o.gif

BTW : (Offtopic) SWLBTCM2 is nearing beta stage, pm blackdog~ for more information and scoop's on the announcement. smile_o.gif

Blackdog cannot access his account inbox any more due to spamming moderators with crappy flash videos......

And yes there is a don't post your PM rule, posted here in 2002, just that for whatever reason it wasn't officially ratified into the forum rules themselves smile_o.gif

And yes there is a don't post your PM rule, posted here in 2002, just that for whatever reason it wasn't officially ratified into the forum rules themselves smile_o.gif

Would seem so, as I remember you warning someone not to post the contents of a PM for use against me, although it came across more as a breach of etiquette rather than an actual violation of any rule.

Time for modernizing the rules (yeah, more work for you nener.gif )

Blackdog cannot access his account inbox any more due to spamming moderators with crappy flash videos......

Why thank you, I'm honored by the courtesy and the promotion, I look forward liberally exercising my new powers to bring a new hope for change to these forums. inlove.gif

Why thank you, I'm honored by the courtesy and the promotion, I look forward liberally exercising my new powers to bring a new hope for change to these forums. inlove.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure why I made it onto blackdog's happy fun time list tounge2.gif

Obviously what I meant by the statement was "Blackdog cannot access his account inbox any more due to spamming moderators with crappy flash videos......he also spammed some other members with the same thing but they're just the dregs of society so clearly we could care less what happens to them" wink_o.gif

Wait, what? Who edited my sig and why?

Wait, what? Who edited my sig and why?

I don't know who it was, but I guess it was a mod because of a too big sig...? wink_o.gif

My sig was a one line link to my mod, in which I clearly state it's an ArmA mod. There was a line added (sigs are for ArmA), why it was put there I don't know. So I added another link and changed it to what I have now.

Wasn't me either.

But I will remind all moderators they should communicate with a forum member when they change a signature, and best is to PM the member and ask them to change it themselves rather than "force" the issue (unless of course they ignore the request).

Hi Moddies

We seem to be moving toward an Iran War.

Rescent news information that is comming to light need airing.

Being a good little forum user I searched first. And found this thread

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....hl=iran

But it is locked sad_o.gif

In the light of current events may I respectfuly ask that it is unlocked?

Kind regards walker

Until war officially breaks out any discussions about the issue belong in either the war on terror thread or the US politics thread, I'll let you decide which smile_o.gif

I have a question... Can a mod change my username? I'm not too fond of the one I have now, but I don't want to make a new account.

Just PM any mod and say which name you want.

BTW It is against the rules to make a new/second account yourself... band.gif

BTW It is against the rules to make a new/second account yourself... band.gif

Yeah, I read that in the rules after my post. Lucky I posted here first, eh? wink_o.gif

Anyways, I'll pm you with my desired name.

Can the mods please tell me what is the stance of BI forum on this topic?

The OAC project is meant to make OFP missions and campaigns

playable in ArmA. At times the missions need slight changes

as some aspects are different between OFP and ArmA technically

(script syntax changes).

Now is OK to update the mission without seeking the authors

approval, while keeping every other aspect intact (like readme,

stating the original author and credits) and stating very clearly

that the mission was only updated to work in ArmA by project OAC?

Thank you for your consideration.

---

My personal thoughts:

The need to request permission for every mission or to wait for

x weeks or months will effectively make the project non

functional and would kill it.

IMHO the original author's main interest was to share his work

and let others enjoy it. So as long as the true ownership and

the role of project OAC is stated I would say no permission is

needed and most authors should welcome to see their work

also playable in Armed Assault.

The exception is of course if the author explicitly stated that he

wants no modification of his work what so ever. Not to sure

on this one too though.

.kju

PS:

More details on project OAC

BIKI

BI forum thread

Hey,

Recently I have been having regular problems accessing the boards. -

1. Pages refuse to load, or take a long time to load.

2. I get mySQL "Too many connections" error when accessing pages. I even got a message of that style that said "Died"

3. I get "500 Internal Server errors".

Now, Ive seen 2. a few times, and I wouldn't usually think much of 1. but the thing is that they have been popping up a lot. The last time I couldnt access the board, I got two friends who live a good distance away from me and are on different ISPs to test it out, and they got the same problems. I also tried it on a different PC and different browser so it isnt that. Has anyone else been getting these problems?

Yes everyone has these problems, forums are old and corrupted and crap, we're waiting for them to be upgraded, we've been waiting over 2 years, don't hold your breath!