Sign in to follow this  
smellyjelly

Health system

SLX will have add some nice features to ArmA around what is being discussed here smile_o.gif

And most are gameplay savers and not even realism killers thumbs-up.gif

But to share my tought on the need of a better system, I think this one does it's job very well.

And I don't think Game2 doesn't even need such a system wich recreates the human body perfectly I'd rather see other points being adressed as this one could be made with some values and randomization

And I don't think Game2 doesn't even need such a system wich recreates the human body perfectly I'd rather see other points being adressed as this one could be made with some values and randomization

for Game2 I'd like to see some advanced medic action, like actually treating the wounds, not just making dance moves above the wounded. values and randomization sounds good, some parts of the body bleed like hell, some don't, sometimes you're lucky and sometimes very unlucky. but one thing I won't give up on is that we need bleeding and we need it done the right way! tounge2.gif

the bleeding was there in the ECP mod for ofp-

remember many a time strolling in formation through a town after a fire-fight,noticing blood drips on the floor from member in front of me,like shit who's bleeding??? wow_o.gif

better sort it before ya bleed to death! smile_o.gif

but yeah would be nice to have it in arma-either Bis or mod!

I really appreciate what ECP did with the carrying function and the incapacitated soldiers. What is missing is the option to load these soldiers into vehicles, so you really can evacuate them. And a kind of point system should be implemented to encourage evacuation.

For example:

What I would like to see in the realism off mode:

It adds only the new drag or transport feature (can not imagine why someone would want to switch this feature off). Other ways it stays as it is: if you are shot you are either dead or wounded like you are now -the only difference: you may not have to limp to the "heal zone" as you call it (we have this in OFP now it´s ambulances and first aid tents) if you are lucky someone will help you to get there (drag or transport).

In realism on mode:

Not all dead are dead (they are all out off the game yes)

Just some of them are dead.

Some others are incapacitated -without medical attention they die slowly. (bleeding)

You should evacuate these units to a designated zone to minimize penalty. You could finish the mission without any evacuation but you would have a higher penalty!

Example:

Dead and left behind: -300

Incapacitated and left behind: -400

Dead and evacuated: -100

Incapacitated and evacuated: -50

(From an old post on this topic)

link

for Game2 I'd like to see some advanced medic action, like actually treating the wounds, not just making dance moves above the wounded.

That would require some pretty intense procedural animation. I don't think you will be seeing that any time soon.

Quote[/b] ]In realism on mode:

Not all dead are dead (they are all out off the game yes)

Just some of them are dead.

Some others are incapacitated -without medical attention they die slowly. (bleeding)

You should evacuate these units to a designated zone to minimize penalty. You could finish the mission without any evacuation but you would have a higher penalty!

This is a great idea that can be fully implemented in a CTI type of game. Each saved wounded would result into bonus points being added to the team's cache. The bonus points would enable the team to purchase more units and expand faster. Of course I'm talking about the MF CTI mod type of game. The current ArmA CTI is just a bizzard smorgasbord of different MP game modes - it doesn't work that well IMHO - more like a large scale capture the flag game mode. So in short a number of simplified injury effects has to be implemented then: blood lose and possibility of death if bleeding heavily, incapacitation with the soldier being immobilized, lying motionless, maybe rolling on the ground in pain. These soldiers have to be either dragged, or carried off the field, or transported in a vehicle to the base. There shouldn't necessarily be a function in the game that allows to bring an incapacitated soldier to life and full health. The evacuation feature would then be a point-earning feature. I'm so happy ArmA still doesn't have the magic healing med kits!!!

In reality those wounded men would actually sap your resources and manpower... to rescue wounded men should incurr logistical penalties, rather than rewards.

In reality those wounded men would actually sap your resources and manpower... to rescue wounded men should incurr logistical penalties, rather than rewards.

Logistical, maybe. Giving alot of points for saving men should be worked in though. Not losing men is worth alot on the modern battlefield. Saving your own men should be rewarded greatly. In any game-type, on any side. Ok so the rewards are morale or politically based irl but they exist and efforts should be made to model arma to reflect that. Giving points is the obvious way.

The lengths the coalition will go to here.

Leg: When shot in the legs our character shouldn't be able to walk.

I am not a supporter of this idea. I think being able to walk should be left in, but a slow walk. Can still remember in FP getting leg shot, no medic, and having to crawl for 100s of yards. It was abysmal and no fun.

But whatever is implimented I will deal with. Still waiting for the N. American release here.

Most of the highest awards today are given to soldiers who put their lives at risk to rescue fellow soldiers under enemy fire.

To get your men out (dead or alive) is a top priority in modern combat operations. (western world)

If this can not be archived in the primary mission it often is the mission objective for a follow up mission (SAR).

How about needing to medevac the body to stop an excessively long respawn time? And the above mentioned 'Honorable Action' reward for the rescuing players.

Would be functional, rewarding in a couple of ways, and while penalizing the downed units team strategically-it's not a showstopper as eventally the unit can return if so desired by the mission maker. Just a thought.

I'm well aware of the priorities of modern militaries when it comes to wounded men. Coalition forces will go through great lengths to incurr logistical penalties on themselves. This has to do with aspects of the world and wars that are not represented in the wargame. What I was saying is that if you give the player logistical bonuses for that sort of behaviour, it is the opposite of how the world works. However keen any given armies are in retrieving wounded men does not change that fact.

I'm well aware of the priorities of modern militaries when it comes to wounded men.  Coalition forces will go through great lengths to incurr logistical penalties on themselves.  This has to do with aspects of the world and wars that are not represented in the wargame.  What I was saying is that if you give the player logistical bonuses for that sort of behaviour, it is the opposite of how the world works.  However keen any given armies are in retrieving wounded men does not change that fact.

Depends on how you look at the score, if you look at the score as the way how good/brave/whatever your avatar performed, then it should be a positive bonus (after all, he saved his wounded friend from almost certain death), if you look at the score like you said, then indeed, it should be a negative 'bonus'.

And especially for gameplay purposes, the score should reflect the first mentioned. smile_o.gif

Someone should make a TDM map where all players on both sides spawn with broken legs. rofl.gif

And actually, when I shoot someone in the leg in Arma the leg becomes injured and the person can not walk any longer. ( Sometimes you have to shoot twice though ) Same goes for the arms .. when you hit someone on the arm the target can still walk but is handicapped concerning his aiming. It's already implemented. More or less.

For the rest, I think the idea to ask for a sophisticated injury model that even works along with scores for saved men and such .. it's a bit off. In most of the maps I have played so far, especially on public servers where you don't have a set team of people who cooperate with each other .. people wouldn't give a rats ass for someone with injured legs lol .. they'd try to nick your ammo if they could.

It's not a problem to script particular missions where saving injured people is part of the objective, and where score is awarded accordingly .. maybe even with modded extra features.

And the last thing I would like to see in Arma is some sort of health indicator. Please.

I'm well aware of the priorities of modern militaries when it comes to wounded men. Coalition forces will go through great lengths to incurr logistical penalties on themselves. This has to do with aspects of the world and wars that are not represented in the wargame. What I was saying is that if you give the player logistical bonuses for that sort of behaviour, it is the opposite of how the world works. However keen any given armies are in retrieving wounded men does not change that fact.

Yes, that's why I quoted the word "logistic". The fact remains that coalition forces would risk, what, two apache gunships with men strapped to the sides just to save a prone casualty that may or may not be alive? These people are trained to be the best gamblers in history. They just don't take unnecassary risks. They tried, therefore, it was worth a try. It should be especially true when special forces (and lets face it, every human is spec.ops on a coop mission) take a casualty.

I'm not saying make it less fun. The most most fun playing video games often comes from involvement.

Make lives matter. No more nading yourself to respawn please! smile_o.gif

I know it's not an ethos that lends itself to every game type but it can be done on every game type and I can't think of one that wouldn't benefit. Except, of course, the most casual.

Just to add to what I've said.

I think the complaint I've most not heard about ofp's gameplay is that you wait so long to respawn and/or get back into the action. That is to say that people that don't like it don't even hang around to voice their complaints. I think it's a plus. Your life should be important to you and your team. It grants a massive adrenaline and emotional plus to any game. I'll never forget that line from the film Black Hawk Down; "It's about the man next to you". I think that's shakespearean language for the summary of mass warfare from day one.

Gameplay-wise it needn't even be a constant for any game's team. Maybe one team has a lot of disposable religious conscripts and the other team has a handful of professional, well equipped soldiers.

Just saying it's a powerful,often ignored, tool to make a better game.