Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Windows Vista Finally Released (Drivers too!)

Nvidia Forceware 100.59s are out!
Just out of curiosity, which are these important things new in Vista that justify its hardware demands?

I'm not trying to be ironic, I've just didn't yet heard of any of these things, except for maybe new UI Aero, which I do not count as "the important stuff".

What I like about Vista:

- Slick Interface

- Fast response

- Usage of all ur free ram for system cache

- General User Friendlyness

- Proper optimized 64-bit implementation (Altough I must admit I do not have use for 64-bit at this time biggrin_o.gif)

- DirectX 10 (But not really useful atm tounge2.gif)

- Very Stable (Except when ur full of alpha/beta drivers :P And I must add that XP is very stable aswell with proper drivers and systems wink_o.gif)

- I'm always interested in new options, buttons, features, monitors etc. etc. I love how the Task Manager is Expanded :

Well, the stability is probably not a thing demanding powerfull hardware (unless half of the system resources are used for pre-emptive error checking tounge2.gif) and like you said, properly managed XPs are quite stable too.

I do not see, how proper implementation of 64-bit should increase resource demand too. Still not anything really important from my POV.

It seems no Vista for me, until I am forced to use 'em.

Well, the stability is probably not a thing demanding powerfull hardware (unless half of the system resources are used for pre-emptive error checking tounge2.gif) and like you said, properly managed XPs are quite stable too.

I do not see, how proper implementation of 64-bit should increase resource demand too. Still not anything really important from my POV.

It seems no Vista for me, until I am forced to use 'em.

I wrote what I liked about Vista, I misread ur question as a general question what in other's eyes is nice about Vista smile_o.gif

BTW, altough Vista system requirements seem high (especially for Aero, but you can also run without it, the interface looks the same but you will not have the flashy, animated glass/transparancy stuff), still my system does not use really (/much) more resources for normal operations, so I don't really see the problem biggrin_o.gif

Just read this...

Thats why im waiting for a service pack =)

And thanks for your responses on OEM software  thumbs-up.gif

Not really a reason to shiver about if you ask me,

First I don't use it, 2nd I do not have speakers and microphone but headset, and 3rd.. I see it very unlikely that this would happen, especially if I would not be around the computer smile_o.gif

Just read this...

Thats why im waiting for a service pack =)

And thanks for your responses on OEM software thumbs-up.gif

Not really a reason to shiver about if you ask me,

First I don't use it, 2nd I do not have speakers and microphone but headset, and 3rd.. I see it very unlikely that this would happen, especially if I would not be around the computer smile_o.gif

Hey i used it for having some fun but i also think that such things won´t happen on my machine. If iam ever forced to delete Vista i will try this via speech recognition rofl.gif

Vista is on its way to be a usefull tool but at moment its hard to tell without final drivers. Don´t know this is MS fault who did the implementation that hard or Nvidia and Creative who missed to jump on the horse.

Do i need Vista? mmh maybe not at the moment but it is always fun to test new things. Do we need travel to the moon? No but a few was lucky enough to be there.

The most thing iam waiting for Vista is to be able to turn off V-Sync. In ArmA where i normally had 80-40FPS i get with Vista 60 to 24 FPS and below. help.gif

Don´t know this is MS fault who did the implementation that hard or Nvidia and Creative who missed to jump on the horse.

Its fairly simple... priorities...

Creative is an ass company anyway, little progression but always full priced products, but thats my opinion anyway... so I dont look weird that their drivers are behind smile_o.gif

But the most important reason is simply that developping for a beta product or a product that is just finished is not as loaning as developping for an OS thats so largely widespread (XP/2000 etc)... This is mainly why most producers have not really put much effort in creating full-performance, final release drivers... except ATI is doing good I think, but havent tried em! smile_o.gif

Three games isn't big enough of a test and there's something funny (such as incomplete/bad drivers & gfx API or a poorly ported game) going on if an OS change magically gives a 400% boost in performance with the same hardware. I'm not saying that Vista isn't jam-packed with useless candy-coated features that will make it heavier than most Linux desktops but such drastic differencies come from somewhere else than the OS itself.

Sure guys, we're gonna play this game again whistle.gifsmile_o.gif

Let's wait a couple of weeks and make benchmarks when most systems are at the same level of care and tweaking, drivers and core wise aswell.

Don´t know this is MS fault who did the implementation that hard or Nvidia and Creative who missed to jump on the horse.

Its fairly simple... priorities...

Creative is an ass company anyway, little progression but always full priced products, but thats my opinion anyway... so I dont look weird that their drivers are behind smile_o.gif

But the most important reason is simply that developping for a beta product or a product that is just finished is not as loaning as developping for an OS thats so largely widespread (XP/2000 etc)... This is mainly why most producers have not really put much effort in creating full-performance, final release drivers... except ATI is doing good I think, but havent tried em! smile_o.gif

True, true confused_o.gif

But for Nvidia i hoped they will do a better job so lets see what the next days will bring to us. Going to try a ArmA MP round now with Vista. biggrin_o.gif

True, true confused_o.gif

But for Nvidia i hoped they will do a better job so lets see what the next days will bring to us. Going to try a ArmA MP round now with Vista. biggrin_o.gif

Im using the 100.59's, but im not totally in agreement with the performance, but like you say, we will see what comes smile_o.gif

And indeed, im also displeased by the fact that they took this road, at this time I rather had an ATI card lol, but let's see what comes wink_o.gif

a bit o/t but just FYI

Vista vs. Ubuntu vs. Fedora

Cpu Intel Core2Duo 6400 @ 2,13Ghz

MB Asus P5B

Memory 2 x 1Go

Grahic Card ATI Radeon X850XT en PCI-e 16x

Hard Drive Samsung SATA 80Go – 8Mo de cache whistle.gif

http://www.jeuvinux.net/IMG/jpg/result_et-2.jpg

Im sorry but if someone plays ET with 25FPS on that system then theres definitely something wrong with the system/drivers/whatever, my old overclocked fx5200 could get that..

Well the peer pressure got to me.

Vista Utlimate 64bit..before any tweaking of anything..only 2gb ram (2 more on the brown truck) running stock 3.18mhz x4,    <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">swat-clan.net/xtra/desktop1.bmp

I got a copy of Vista during the week, set up the new nVidia 100.59 BETA drivers and ran 3DMark01 to see what Vista's performance with games were like. The score had dropped from ~24,000 on XP to ~17,500 with Vista. I know performance will be better when they get the real drivers released, but for now Im sticking with XP for my gaming purposes smile_o.gif

Heh... I gave them a couple months now... It's just a bit frustrating looking at ya two 7600GT when you can only use one of them.

I'm gonna get Vista final soon. Does anyone know if it's legal/possible to install Vista on two PCs? (Home Premium).

I read somewhere per Microsoft, it is legal to have Vista installed on 2 machines at once. However, you need to go to a site and "point" the current license to only one machine - so your basically limited to running Vista on only one machine at a time. Its the same scheme that Alcohol 120% uses.

Whats the difference between system builder + retail? :S

Anyone know? :S I just remember reading that it was for 'system builders only'... whether that means that you can't 'Upgrade' you have to format and start again or not i dunno.. :S

For system builders-only are OEM releases which the computer selling and building companies may use to install their new computers with which they sell... Think about Dell, IBM, Acer etc...

These versions are cheaper than the retail versions or upgrade versions that customers can buy in the shops.

If you have a willing computer shop, you can get such version there with the only downside that you can't use it to upgrade wink_o.gif

Si Si.

Typically OEM when you get OEM anything its just that. If you get an OEM harddrive, its just the harddrive in an antistatic bag. If you get an OEM O/S, it's just the disc.

Retail comes with the pretty box, useless manual, couple post card ads, etc.

Nice idea for a thread SickBoy.

I'm running the 64 bit of Vista Ultimate.

The Good:

- Very graphic and intuitive interface. The Aero UI is very cool.

- Very, very fast boot time.

- Overall speed of the O/S appears to be very fast (your mileage may vary depending on your system specs)

- With my mbo, I was able to install the O/S without having to install Raid drivers.

- The ability to monitor more apps, services, and remote users very easily via the task manager.

- Comes w/ 32 + 64 bit install DVDs.

- Decent configuration area to setup the majority of system settings.

The Bad:

- Somethings such as gadgets need more options.

- "Deep sleep" causes a boot condition where there is not keyboard, mouse, or monitor input - must be turned off.

- Driver signature security makes it almost impossible to run apps like truecrypt in traveller mode - very annoying.

- Some very limited configuration options in other areas. Example: to change the default app for multiple file extensions - in XP you could just go to the File Type tab in Folder options. This exact screen is very buried in Vista. The start menu isn't has configurable in my opinion. The default Aero menu is cool, but the programs menu sort order is backwards (files before folders) and the menu doesn't expand off to the side like it does in XP (hard to describe if you haven't seen it). If you revert to the XP style menu, you loose the most recently used apps section on the left side, the majority of the settings don't apply to the "classic" menu anymore.

- Some hardware vendors don't have reliable drivers yet.

- Some settings I haven't found how to retain yet. Example: In 2000/XP you can change Windows Explorer to details view and then apply that view to all folders. This doesn't work in Vista and requires the user to constantly switch the view back. Annoying.

- Ultimate was supposed to allow users to new "extras". Notta thus far - just so you know.

I haven't dabbled into everything, but what I have seen is promising. Overall, Vista has potential, but needs some patches and drivers released still.

Hardware/drivers:

Audigy 2 value - v2.12.0001. Drivers only. Surround sound etc, configured through Vista itself. Functional, with no problems. My surround sound decoding is done at the logitech speakers (which may explain why SickBoy and I have diff. results here regarding surround sound).

Saitek x52 - v300107_64. Functional, with no problems.

Logitech G15 keyboard - drivers not available as of yet!

Logitech MX-518 mouse - using default Vista drivers. Functional, with no problems.

Nvidia 8800's SLI - v100.59. Probably the most horrible drivers ever released by any company. Causes constant reboots with anything requiring 3d graphics. Vista comes with a chess game called Chess Titans which has a little bit of 3d graphics. Even this will consistently crash with .59 drivers. Supposedly has SLI support - although the system will not stay running long enough to tell.

v100.54 - Semi-stable drivers but no SLI support. Still have a period system reset with games like BF2142. (for those who may play that).

Added Nvidia Forceware 100.64 Links...

Anyone any performance or other issues or progress? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]- Ultimate was supposed to allow users to new "extras". Notta thus far - just so you know.
That's incorrect m8, 31 January there were already Vista Ultimate "Extras" available through Microsoft Update/Online.

You checked at Updates?

Quote[/b] ]Added Nvidia Forceware 100.64 Links...

Anyone any performance or other issues or progress?

I already wrote this on the Armed-Assault.de Forum so here whats my 3dmark06 tests are telling me.

On my old WinXP system before Vista i got:

8340 points

with Vista and the 100.54 driver:

8190 points

Vista and 100.59 driver:

8220 points

Vista and the 100.64 driver shocked me:

7828 points

Can please anyone confirm that so i can be sure it is not my systeme which is causing the performance loss?

greets

Everything is fine with Vista, but Creative sucks.

The damned beta sound driver let every game crash after a few minutes.

And still no eta for final drivers.

If another company offers better software support for there audio cards, they could throw Creative out of business.

The Creative forum is full of posts from pissed costumers.

Even the latest X-FI cards didn`t get working final drivers. mad_o.gif

Sound cards have allways been an issue with me and the gaming systems I've built to play on (all Creative SC's). Notice in my sig "no SC".. the board came with a 8 channel AC97, and since I mostly play with headphones, I saved a few bucks by not purchasing a SC. The drivers Vista installed seem to be fine... but I may try the beta's offered from Asus in the near future.

I'm still waiting for a hardcopy of ArmA for more testing, since my 2nd install with my Sprocket Czech version doesn't comply. (error=This activation has been completed allready) and the fresh activation softwrap tells me to do, gave an invalid activation.

About 3dmark06, In their forums, they claim scores should be close with XP vs Vista... they also claim that 3dmark06 advance would reconize the directx 9.0c it installs for Vista, but that did not work for me and several others. As long as we have DirectX 10 and video drivers that are betas... we cant publish scores. In my results, I have several "N/A's". It even showed my video at 512mb..and "cooperative adapters" NO....hmmm.

So I'm going to ignore the $19.95 I spent for 3dmark06 untill I get the proper drivers. I do believe my system should score higher than the 12983 it gave with SLI on, compared to 11114 with it off.

I have solved the sound related crashes, by uninstalling the Audigy drivers, deactivating the card, activated onboard AC97 Audio in BIOS and than installed the new AC97 Vista drivers.

I hope creative will release final, and working drivers anytime soon.

I`m happy that i didn`t bought an X-FI right now, owners of those cards have tons of problems too with Vista.

Just got new pc today with Windows Vista Home Premium(I like the bubbles) an no I'm not on drugs rofl.gif Was totally lost(almost totally) comin from an Xp Proffessional. like what i see so far.