Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Windows Vista Finally Released (Drivers too!)

Microsoft Windows Vista finally hit the consumer market, today, Tuesday 30 January 2007 smile_o.gif

Drivers:

[*]Nvidia ForceWare Vista 101.41 32-bit and 64-bit (incl 8800GTS/X)

[*]Nvidia nTune 5.05.25

[*]Ati Catalyst Vista 7.2 32-bit and 64-bit

[*]Creative Audigy Vista 2.12.001 Beta

[*]Creative X-Fi Vista 2.13.001 Beta

[*]DirectX 9.0c February 2007 (Fixes d3dx9_30.dll error)

More Drivers, for chipsets etc at: www.guru3d.com

Need to knows:

[*]SLI is not working under Vista yet (Except for the 8800 Series, as of 100.59)

[*]DX-10 Support only available on 8800 Series, of coarse. As of 100.59.

[*]Crossfire IS working under Vista

[*]EAX in Directsound3d games does not work, only in OpenAL Games (Like ArmA! )

[*]Overall Vista Performance is getting near XP performance but all Manufacturers have been concentrating on XP until Vista was released, which is now... So do not expect too good performance yet!

[*]Most common Chipset drivers are included in the OS and the rest generally gets downloaded through Windows Update, but there are now also vendor updated drivers available at guru3d

[*]Vista uses all available memory for system cache (boost ur system, generally), if an application needs the memory back then it will simply free up the memory and hand it to the application, so no worries about the 'huge memory usage', Vista is finally an OS that really uses your available RAM biggrin_o.gif

Share ur performance/issues/settings for ArmA in the thread:

"ArmA Vista Performance/Issues(Release&New Driver)

This is not negativity..just fyi!

Maximum PC Review

Thanks for the link smile_o.gif I'm running Vista since RTM build around mid-november, at work and at home.... I simply love all the aspects of it except the Annoying popups when you want to do something which requires administrative rights... but who cares, just turn the option off (I don't need it so much anyway tounge2.gif) and voila smile_o.gif

Sure everyone can wait, and I didn't mean this topic to become the "GET YOUR VISTA COPY TODAY THREAD" smile_o.gif But more as an info thread where to get drivers and how to get around issues, if any smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This was the last time I ever got an nvidia card.

Very disapointed user of SLI

It's said that the 100.56 will have proper working SLI smile_o.gif Give em some more days wink_o.gif

Heh... I gave them a couple months now... It's just a bit frustrating looking at ya two 7600GT when you can only use one of them.

I'm gonna get Vista final soon. Does anyone know if it's legal/possible to install Vista on two PCs? (Home Premium).

Heh... I gave them a couple months now... It's just a bit frustrating looking at ya two 7600GT when you can only use one of them.

I'm gonna get Vista final soon. Does anyone know if it's legal/possible to install Vista on two PCs? (Home Premium).

Afaik it's not legal, but possible smile_o.gif

The activation keys aren't so heavily 'protected' anymore as they were in XP, but afaik it's not legal to have the same license on 2 different computers smile_o.gif

BTW, I conclude that you decide which Manufacturer of Videocards is better... depending on their Driver Support for a brand new OS, aswell as the Driver Support for a new OS that isn't out on the Consumer market either (well it is today, but I mean before ;D). I must admit... I think it's very cool by ATI to already have Crossfire Support for Vista smile_o.gif

Still I wouldn't put too much effort into Developping Drivers for these extreme conditions (crossfire/sli = extreme in my books) for such a brand new OS, but yeah, I don't own a Videocard Company smile_o.gif

*Nudges Sickboy* Wouldnt mention about installing it on 2Pc's, tis not legal, and you dont want to get spanked by a mod, unless you enjoy a good spanking.

Cant wait to get vista - New Pc arrives next week, with Vista installed. Yay

Shall go to other thread to give feedback when I get it.

_2Lt_Griff @ Jan. 30 2007,16:42)]*Nudges Sickboy* Wouldnt mention about installing it on 2Pc's, tis not legal, and you dont want to get spanked by a mod, unless you enjoy a good spanking.

I love a good spanking, but not by the mods smile_o.gif)) rofl smile_o.gif

But seriously, if they wanna spank me for saying that you can install a software package on 2 different machines, but that it's against the license, then I don't know where it ends ;D

Let the bashing begin!!! rofl.gif

I haven't tried it yet but one could compare this release of Vista similar to ArmA's early release, I guess... confused_o.gif

Edit: Although I'm not being too fair - XP is all anybody will need as there are no guarantees Vista will ever become what MS advertises, in comparison to ArmA, which we all just know it WILL surpass all it's been advertised it will be... biggrin_o.gif

Afaik it's not legal, but possible smile_o.gif

The activation keys aren't so heavily 'protected' anymore as they were in XP, but afaik it's not legal to have the same license on 2 different computers smile_o.gif

BTW, I conclude that you decide which Manufacturer of Videocards is better... depending on their Driver Support for a brand new OS, aswell as the Driver Support for a new OS that isn't out on the Consumer market either (well it is today, but I mean before ;D). I must admit... I think it's very cool by ATI to already have Crossfire Support for Vista smile_o.gif

Still I wouldn't put too much effort into Developping Drivers for these extreme conditions (crossfire/sli = extreme in my books) for such a brand new OS, but yeah, I don't own a Videocard Company smile_o.gif

Yes, but if you want to update (windows update etc) you need to validate your windows... So its worthless as from now on hackers are going to be trying to exploit Vista...

Hence why i am waiting for a service pack for Vista before i get it myself smile_o.gif

I`ll get my Vista Home Premium 32bit tomorrow, hopefully.

I ordered it now because atm you can get the system builder version for 130€ instead of 330€ for the "normal" version. Who know`s for how long? whistle.gif

I don`t need an handbook or costumer support.

Than i will install it on another primary partition, so i can keep my Win2K Prof. installation intact.

After that the big testing session can start. sad_o.gif

As the Vista RC2 works fine on my system, the final can only be better i hope.

Whats the difference between system builder + retail? :S

Anyone know? :S I just remember reading that it was for 'system builders only'... whether that means that you can't 'Upgrade' you have to format and start again or not i dunno.. :S

Anyone know? :S I just remember reading that it was for 'system builders only'... whether that means that you can't 'Upgrade' you have to format and start again or not i dunno.. :S

For system builders-only are OEM releases which the computer selling and building companies may use to install their new computers with which they sell... Think about Dell, IBM, Acer etc...

These versions are cheaper than the retail versions or upgrade versions that customers can buy in the shops.

If you have a willing computer shop, you can get such version there with the only downside that you can't use it to upgrade wink_o.gif

For system builders-only are OEM releases which the computer selling and building companies may use to install their new computers with which they sell... Think about Dell, IBM, Acer etc...

These versions are cheaper than the retail versions or upgrade versions that  customers can buy in the shops.

If you have a willing computer shop, you can get such version there with the only downside that you can't use it to upgrade wink_o.gif

If I build my own PC - can I use these? I heard somewhere they are basically the same, but won't work if you replace your motherboard.

In my System Builder version are two disk`s.

One to make a pre-insatallation, and one normal vista installation DVD.

Outside germany it may be impossible to buy oem or system builder software without an new PC.

I was at the MS Office Launch Conference yesterday. They went over pretty much everything... I went to the developer track so I was able to see coding and how to make apps using all the new extensions and tools available for VS. It (.Net 3.0) is by far the best thing I have ever seen in terms of unifying a language with design tools. Especially since you can seperate the design from the code...

But about Vista... I am really disappointed that alot of my older machines and laptop will be unable to cope with the requirements BUT the good thing is that XP requirements were mostly bogus whereas the reason Vista is so demanding is in the fact it does A TON more very important stuff. I guess it is on par with Macs now since alot of Macs were really beefy(and expensive) to cope with OSX. It's a double edged sword.

If you are a gamer, forget about vista for now unless you are one of those "gotta have everything someone else has" types of gamer.

If you are like me and do business stuff or are just making your life more digital everyday than Vista certainly makes it easier.

As far as all the negative reviews about Vista, most are extrememly narrow in their criticism and fail to mention the thousands of good points which more than make up for any bad points.

I have secured 3 copies (two business and one home premium) which I expect delivery soon and have my free full copy of Office 2007. Great stuff if you do more than game or hack. I will certainly move over and never look back. As far as my work goes though, we have no need to upgrade our workstations to Vista anytime within the next year or so...

[EDIT] regarding OEM copies...  

The rule was always that OEM copies are for first built computers... meaning whether you buy one or are building one you can purchase and use an OEM copy. The retail boxes are meant as either an upgrade to an existing installation (buy an upgrade box) or if the computer has another OS (or no OS) installed but the machine is not "new".

This of course is really a bunch of bogus. There are a few court cases where someone selling OEM to people as regular copies won and there are court cases where some have lost.

So is it legal? certainly... until they drag you to court and try and prove otherwise.

Also, in regards to activation... there are 3 activations per license IIRC. Each time you activate on a different machine (includes upgraded hardware) they log it as an "activation". If you try a fourth time it will refuse to activate and tell you to call a number. If you call the number you simply have to go through a 15min process of regurgitating a code to them and them one back to you. They simply ask "Is this on one PC?" and if you say yes I suppose it is recorded and used against you if they find you are lying to them. If you are a legitimate caller than you need not worry. I've upgraded machines at my company numerous times and had to call them alot. I've never been questioned and I have always been able to activate it eventually. I think they figure most people will never install more than three times. The rest of us simply have to suffer the uncomfort of a 15min phone call.

[EDIT 2]

I suppose if they get 3 activations from 3 different machines in one day they might do something biggrin_o.gif

The selling and using of "oem standalone software" is legal in germany since 2002.

It is written law here, that whe are allowed to buy oem software without bundled hardware, and the use is legal. wink_o.gif

It might be cheaper, but as far as I see it I don't need to worry about my 25 "hardware points" smile_o.gif

Arma works good with Vista.

Not as good as with Win2K Prof on my system, but good enough for the beta drivers for sound and video hardware.

Once final drivers are out, i`ll devote more harddisk space to Vista, to test more of my games with it.

The Win2K Prof installation will stay on my system for the next year(s).

But about Vista... I am really disappointed that alot of my older machines and laptop will be unable to cope with the requirements BUT the good thing is that XP requirements were mostly bogus whereas the reason Vista is so demanding is in the fact it does A TON more very important stuff. I guess it is on par with Macs now since alot of Macs were really beefy(and expensive) to cope with OSX. It's a double edged sword.

Just out of curiosity, which are these important things new in Vista that justify its hardware demands?

I'm not trying to be ironic, I've just didn't yet heard of any of these things, except for maybe new UI Aero, which I do not count as "the important stuff".

Nvidia Forceware 100.59s are out!

Just out of curiosity, which are these important things new in Vista that justify its hardware demands?

I'm not trying to be ironic, I've just didn't yet heard of any of these things, except for maybe new UI Aero, which I do not count as "the important stuff".

What I like about Vista:

- Slick Interface

- Fast response

- Usage of all ur free ram for system cache

- General User Friendlyness

- Proper optimized 64-bit implementation (Altough I must admit I do not have use for 64-bit at this time biggrin_o.gif)

- DirectX 10 (But not really useful atm tounge2.gif)

- Very Stable (Except when ur full of alpha/beta drivers :P And I must add that XP is very stable aswell with proper drivers and systems wink_o.gif)

- I'm always interested in new options, buttons, features, monitors etc. etc. I love how the Task Manager is Expanded biggrin_o.gif