Sign in to follow this  
-ZG-BUZZARD

Second Life

Recently there's been so much hype about this one... Well, I don't think one could call it a game really, it's an entire VR dimension. The first time I've heard and read about it I didn't pay alot of attention, but that was some time ago. Now it seems that it's a really big thing with CNN doing coverage of future internet discussion panels in which the future of the net is thought to be in 3d and, apparently, "Second Life" comes second to nothing else in creating the "Metaverse" as described by Neal Stephenson in his must-have novel, "Snowcrash". I was wondering if anybody of the community is present there and what they're doing - since addons are the spice of life for OFP, and "Second Life" is all about creating stuff, I was kinda wondering if there would be any traces of OFP there?

Since I don't play this game, it could be a bit rude of me saying I think that it's rubbish, but I think that it crosses a boarder which should stay untouched.

People should try to get along with their reallifes and not flee into a virtual world, were everything is nice, colourfull and shiny.

Similar things are already happing in WoW, because some people get the acceptace in games, while it is denied in their reallifes. The only thing which results out of all this is that people are less capable of discussing topics and get upset really fast. (This is no theory of mine, but real experience)

hmm. people make OFP addons becuase it takes dedication, skill and commitment. These 2nd life programs are just an escape. if you ask me there dangerous. some people spend too much time on them and there physical life becomes there 2nd life. sad really sad_o.gif

Well, I don't play it either but from what I gather, "Second Life" has gotten so much hype recently because it seems to have turned into quite a business hub with real-world brands establishing presences there where they show off products etc. As for the acceptance thing, unlike any other MMORPG I know, this one doesn't have any guidelines, missions, or something like that - it's all about what you do or don't do, and everybody is entitled to like or dislike what other people do there. In fact, I don't think one could say one is even "playing" "Second Life" because I wouldn't consider it a game... It's being considered as a "demo" for what the internet could become in the future - a tridimensional space, instead of the current websites which mostly present themselves in only a bidimensional way.

As for the creative aspect there, I guess it could be a good way to start learning how to do tridimensional stuff from start to finish, textures and animations and all, and from what I gather, more than one person can work on the same thing being made... Now all we need to know is if we can export the things we do there to O2... Would anybody know if exporting is possible? huh.gif

On a sidenote, although I haven't tried "Second Life" out yet, I've already tried out the free MMORPG "Project: Entropia" (listed in the "Second Life" page of Wikipedia as being a competitor) which is more of an MMORPG than "Second Life" because there is action to be done rather than the sculpting of the game itself, which is supplied as a whole by its parent company... Which would explain why in "Project: Entropia" the record stands of 100.000$ real US Dollars having been spent on a virtual property, so far the highest amount ever to have been paid for any virtual property in any MMORPG to date... crazy_o.gif I could envisage "Project: Entropia" more as an addictive MMORPG along the lines of WoW rather than "Second Life" because there is hardly any obligation to do anything in "Second Life"...

A haven for furries and pedo..ageplayers. Lovely.

Somethingawful.com has explored this matter in a quite interesting manner already:

link removed

(yeah, most of those are definetly not worksafe)

I have enough with my first life, I don't want a second one sad_o.gif

BUZZARD @ Jan. 30 2007,01:12)]Which would explain why in "Project: Entropia" the record stands of 100.000$ real US Dollars having been spent on a virtual property, so far the highest amount ever to have been paid for any virtual property in any MMORPG to date... crazy_o.gif

The virtual currencies in SL and such aren't very liquid though, the in game inflation is considerable and there are very limited (if any) options of turning your virtual $100 000 back into real world currency.

I've played OFP and other military games because I searched for this military experience that I couldn't get in real life, like driving tanks, shooting stuff, flying helicopters, etc..

The thing that bothers me about Second Life is that it offers a virtual copy of everday life. But no matter how good the graphics will get it'll only just be that, a copy. And I just don't get why one should waste time on a virtual reality when one could have so much better and true experiences in real life.

Kind of reminds me of Matrix. Only that people voluntarily give up their real life for a virtual existence.

The thing that bothers me about Second Life is that it offers a virtual copy of everday life. But no matter how good the graphics will get it'll only just be that, a copy. And I just don't get why one should waste time on a virtual reality when one could have so much better and true experiences in real life.

Unfortunately moderators removed link to somethingawful.com's Second Life Safari but if you can live experiences like that in real life, you have some seriously f'd up friends tounge2.gif

Well I guess this is probably the boiling soup of the evolutionary path to a belivable virtual world that we shall probably reach at some point.

As I haven`t played the game I don`t want to pass judgement but this type of worlds will never hit mainstream imo until they get the interface and graphical aspect in shape.

I think that the first huge leap will be when this type of MMORPGs will be played with a Wii like control scheme with motion sensing and active animation representation along with a phisic engine that allows such complex movements.

The other revolution will come when we will control via a brain interface when just thinking about the moves will make it happen on screen.I guess there is no need to link to progress being made on this aspects as there are quite a few projects working to accomplish this endevour.

And then there is the question of the graphics needed to suck people in and get inspired by looking at the insanely beautifully rendered landscapes

My point is,disregarding the media hype,Second Life is  currently considrably less to the final goal of a  13th floor like virtual world then what Wolfenstein was to Operation Flashpoint.

Article about the swedish embassy

Stupid misstake, or is Sweden showing the way how to reach out to your citizen. Would you rather visit a 3d world for information and talk with a "live avatar" then to surf to a homepage to get the information...

Saw there was an discussion about second life that is the game for the embassy, but I didnt want to discuss the game specific but rather the thing with a goverment moving into a computer game..

Well, the idea isn't to reach out to swedish citizens, the idea is to reach out to people who would want to visit Sweden.

While I applaude the fact that a swedish government has finally gotten its head out of its pooper and realised that the internets is here to stay I doubt Second Life is really something they should be focusing on. What with the flying penises and so on.

My point is,disregarding the media hype,Second Life is currently considrably less to the final goal of a 13th floor like virtual world then what Wolfenstein was to Operation Flashpoint.

I agree fully with you on the fact that it is a still far from perfect... "virtuality" (because one cannot consider it to be anything close to reality with everything one sees there), but it could be leading the way for what one could designate as "tridimensional internet", meaning that now we're still using 2d browsers looking at 2d websites, but in the future, with all the interactive gizmos which we'll be using to control our access to "the Net", like direct-brain interfaces etc, yeah, the internet could become something like "the Matrix" or way crazier - where only the mind sets its own limits...

I wonder why they call it second life because people playing this game don't even have a real life.

Well, as much immature as it can be, i must admit that i laughed when watching the SA video of the flying "thing" attack in this second life game smile_o.gif

Oh and the "santa claus" article in the same game ... biggrin_o.gif

alot of people say people who watch big brother are sad and have no life,  and thats about 8 million people around the UK.  I dont think it means you dont have a life becuase you play this, but overdooing it is not good for you.  incidently u2 did an online meet the fans on second life.

I just heard on the radio that Sweden is setting up an embassy in Second Life. confused_o.gif

I am so ashamed..

tounge2.gif

Nah, but I saw the CNN-coverage of Second Life, and it looked pretty cool, but I really don't have time to become some random über-nerd that just plays Second Life and don't care about anything else.

My opinion though, but there are more important stuff in life then gaming, seeing as many friends in my class now doubts over leveling to lvl70, now that TBC is out tounge2.gif

Well, if you see it the other way around, it's pretty cool what just a game can do, ey?

wex

Oh my... That's disgusting. It almost makes me want to unplug my network cable and revert to living in a cave...

alot of people say people who watch big brother are sad and have no life, and thats about 8 million people around the UK. I dont think it means you dont have a life becuase you play this, but overdooing it is not good for you. incidently u2 did an online meet the fans on second life.

TV is something different. TV is not interactive and can not replace real life as the internet does. I know many people who play this or play this kind of game and believe me, no or a pathetic real life.

The U2 meet is a good example, why not go to a concert or a meet and greet and meet them yourself in real life.

Big Brother is pathetic by the way.

damn.... now i got a even bigger urge to go and live in a cave for 2-3 years without internet, tv or even electricity....

While I applaude the fact that a swedish government has finally gotten its head out of its pooper and realised that the internets is here to stay I doubt Second Life is really something they should be focusing on. What with the flying penises and so on.

That sounded really ironic to me. Or do you not think the internet also has an abundance of penis?

damn.... now i got a even bigger urge to go and live in a cave for 2-3 years without internet, tv or even electricity....

The more nerds signing up there, the more girls and alcohol for us IRL.

Quote[/b] ]The more nerds signing up there, the more girls and alcohol for us IRL.

You´re married ! whistle.gif

slap.gif

On Secondlife.

I´ve heard that Front Nationale (ultraright french party) is using it to recruit teenagers and get them into talking with them and spreading their party-program there. There have already been virtual demonstrations against the Front Nationale office in Secondlife with Avatars running around with transparents...

How stupid is all that ?