Sign in to follow this  
polecat

Very unhappy where do I enquire about a refund?

I purchased the DL version of Armed Assault recently. As I understood it when reading the license upon install it read:

You are limited to the number of machines that the program can be installed on by the number of starforce activations in the product (In this case 3, less then most). Not unlike Flaming Cliffs or rFactor both of which I have installed on my 3 puter LAN and can enjoy multiplayer internet or LAN when ever I like. I specifically contacted the companies to make sure this was OK before purchasing and was told it was perfectly fine to do this.

I just wasted all 3 of my SF activations for Armed Assault on my 3 puter LAN and i can not play any mode of multiplayer, I get a CD key in use message even if I attempt a LAN game.

I think this is ridiculous and totally unfair. First you are led to believe you could install on LAN then you lose all 3 activations when trying only to realize that you can not even play on lan.

I can understand if you need to limit play on the internet in this manner and I can even understand that to play online you might need a CD key for each machine. But to deny lan is unfair and greedy. I would like either a solution for LAN play up to 3 (After which you would need to re-purchase)or a way in which I can return this otherwise excellent product for a refund. Just a shame. Copy protection is perfectly reasonable but in my mind this is crossing the line.

Out

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but it sounds like you want to have 3 people playing at once on your LAN ? If that's the case why do you think it is unfair that you would have to buy 3 copies of the game ?

You cannot run the same copy of Armed Assault at the same time on multiplayer, the User ID will be the same and therefore you need seperate copies for each machine you wish to play on.

Nowhere in that licence does it say that this means you get three 'copies' of Armed Assault. You can use Armed Assault on any 3 computers but not on the same time. Why do you think some software has multi-site licences?

If you want to use all 3 simultaneously, purchase 3 copies of the game. If you dont you cant play multiplayer simultaneously.

You can get extra activations with a valid reason..

Contact the publisher.

#C

many games used to allow multiple use in LAN at the same time in the past ... back then most companies understood that this is only for the own benefit banghead.gif

You will not get any money back I'm affraid whistle.gif

I'm probably going to get banned for this but... I have the German version and have it running on 3 different machines hooked up via lan and router and it works fine. How do you have them linked? I have no real issues either with it running except the usual OFP slowdowns, viewdistance,details etc... I've been playing OFP since it first came out and still play it today. My OFP folder is 20 gigs and can't wait until the 505 release which I will buy also and hope it reaches and surpases 20 gigs.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but it sounds like you want to have 3 people playing at once on your LAN ?  If that's the case why do you think it is unfair that you would have to buy 3 copies of the game ?
Quote[/b] ]You cannot run the same copy of Armed Assault at the same time on multiplayer, the User ID will be the same and therefore you need seperate copies for each machine you wish to play on.

Nowhere in that licence does it say that this means you get three 'copies' of Armed Assault. You can use Armed Assault on any 3 computers but not on the same time. Why do you think some software has multi-site licences?

If you want to use all 3 simultaneously, purchase 3 copies of the game. If you dont you cant play multiplayer simultaneously.?

The simplest way to answer that is to say that every other starforce protected game I have ever owned allows this.

Therefore it is unusual that I would not be able to play it on LAN.  Also it would be nice to be explicitly told that you CANNOT play it on LAN in this manner when every other SF game to my knowledge allows this. Furthermore if I had known I could not do this I would not have wasted all of my activations. I think it is perfectly reasonable to require extra licenses for internet play but as I said it is not beyond reason to think LAN should be enabled up to the amount of activations you have particularly when this is the usual and customary way it is done and the prompts regarding installing on a number of machines are exactly as they appear on SF titles that I have that allow this. It should have been stated more clearly. Is that explanation OK with you?

Perhaps the publisher might consider revising this policy to some degree of compromise. You never know. I am sure that the publisher would like to know if a good customer is dissatisfied for any reason. I am so I post. Your not so whatever. If I cannot get a refund that is OK I like the game OK. I just think it is a stinky bad policy bordering on greed that needs a changing. Would not have purchased if I had known.

Out

Nowhere in that licence does it say that this means you get three 'copies' of Armed Assault.

It also does not say you CANNOT use on LAN!

You can use Armed Assault on any 3 computers but not on the same time.

Why do you think some software has multi-site licences?

Let me try to get this through to you. All the SF games I have that I have purchased allow full multi up to the number of SF activations Armed Assault is the exception to the rule. Got that?

Also it is not the money it is the principal. I purchased SB Pro PE at a cost of 125USD, I knew full well BEFORE the purchase I could only install and play on a single machine. The developers decided to allow LAN licenses for an additional 10USD each. This is something I was hoping this company might consider.

Out

It works anyway, doesnt it....? Just ignore that message.

will try thank you

Out

You will not get any money back I'm affraid  whistle.gif

Well that was a helpful comment.

It is OK I will keep if I have to and just not recommend to friends and gaming customers based on this valid complaint.

Out

If you'd like a refund, you should contact the store you bought the game at, not the developer as they are not selling the game directly to you, this is the publishers job, which sells it to stores, which then sell it again to the customers.

Well, the problem is the use of same userID/CD key (it has nothing to do with activation key).

Unlike 99% of games, Arma and OFP check this even on LAN games.

But if I remember well, on OFP there is a server setting that allows multiple players with same ID (KickDuplicate="false" in server cfg). Dunno if it's yet implemented on ArmA.

It is certainly implimented in the dedicated demo server, if I am not mistaken.

Yea, it's the serveradministrator who chooses if multiple clients with same cd-key is allowed.

If it's simply by LAN, you shouldnt have any problem using it.

You inquire about your refund from the publisher., Please speak to them. Closing.