Sign in to follow this  
dr_eyeball

17520x17520 res map of Sahrani - jpg

I finally decided to release my larger (17520 x 17520 pixel) version of the Sahrani map (even though Mondkalb already did one at the same time).

It's essentially a 20x20 grid of (400) screenshots at 1280x1024 screen resolution. I added the grid references around the full border. It uses double digit grid references and so includes the finer grid lines too. It has fairly fine contours too. You can use XnView for viewing it.

If you don't need or can't handle this size image, then try Mondkalb's Sahrani map (6923x5867). It's great having the community contribute stuff.

Downloads:

ArmA_Sahrani_Map_DrE_70_v1.rar (26,586,099 bytes, 18mb compressed, 70% jpg quality)

ArmA_Sahrani_Map_DrE_100_v1.rar (103,432,632 bytes, 89mb compressed, 100% jpg quality)

(PM me if you want to add your own link or if any links become inactive.)

JPG quality level:

I used 70% jpg compression which is giving good quality versus size. I can easily create higher quality if required. To give you an idea of sizes:

BMP 900mb!
30% 16mb
40% 19mb
50% 21mb
60% 23mb
70% 26mb <--
80% 31mb
90% 42mb
95% 57mb
100% 101mb

Enjoy!

Edited by Dr_Eyeball
reformat, links

Great! yay.gif

Is it possible for you to upload the map as PNG? My A1 printer is really sensitive to jpeg artifacts. Upload it as a torrent and i will seed all day. smile_o.gif

Edit: PNG is lossless, approx. filesize would be ~150MB.

Any chance of getting this in a more standard compression algorithm? Say, a .zip? It'd be a lot easier for us to deal with.

TIA

Any chance of getting this in a more standard compression algorithm? Say, a .zip? It'd be a lot easier for us to deal with.

TIA

Nothing wrong with .rar, in fact it's better than .zip.

You clearly don't use IZArc, it's a great program that handles all major archive formats. I use it and like it. I recommend you give it a try.

Click here for the IZArc website.

You can also use Winrar... I recommend it anyway, because the newer winzip versions expire some day... And .rar is a better format anyway smile_o.gif

Good map btw wink_o.gif

You can also use Winrar... I recommend it anyway, because the newer winzip versions expire some day... And .rar is a better format anyway smile_o.gif

Good map btw wink_o.gif

Winrar doesn't open .ace files though. IZArc handles all major formats, you shouldn't ever have to use other archive software.

First row second from the botton

:P

icon_redface.gif

But IZArc still supports more formats tounge2.gif .

I think we have gone a bit offtopic though threadjacked.gif

TIA

Nothing wrong with .rar, in fact it's better than .zip.

You clearly don't use IZArc, it's a great program that handles all major archive formats. I use it and like it. I recommend you give it a try.

Click here for the IZArc website.

The .rar format may or may not be 'better', depending upon how you measure better. I'm certainly not qualified to tell whether or not it compresses better than .zip, for example. I have not done any research into how the two compare.

My own preference is for standard file formats whenever and wherever possible. The .zip format has been around long enough for all the patents to expire, so virtually all operating systems now have utilities that support it built in to the default file manipulation tools. Explorer for Windows, for example, and KDE's konqueror for another.

As my primary computer is a Linux one, I don't have access to WinRar or other Windows based shareware. So, may I ask again for a .zip format? Please?

TIA

The .rar format may or may not be 'better', depending upon how you measure better. I'm certainly not qualified to tell whether or not it compresses better than .zip, for example. I have not done any research into how the two compare.

It can make files smaller than .zip can, not much else to compare them on really. That makes .rar better as far as I can see. .7zip is apparently better though, and IZArc opens that aswell.

I don't think the mods will like this being dragged offtopic, oh well.

Just DL'ed and opened the map. It looks gorgeous! Wonderful work. notworthy.gif

Unfortunately, there is one small problem: The map is so bloody large that by the time I actually get zoomed in close enough to look at a section of it in detail, I've forgotten what grid coordinates I'm at. I think that it'll make it very difficult to use for mission planning. confused_o.gif

Wow, this is actually "high res"...

But i'm not going to donload that piece of map, guess why. icon_rolleyes.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Wow, this is actually "high res"...

But i'm not going to donload that piece of map, guess why. icon_rolleyes.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Because you've got an photographical memory?

As the saying goes Big is Better smile_o.gif

The image is not intended for general browsing, due to it's size and lack of floating grid ref's.

The map has 2 main purposes:

- printing, (like I am planning to)

- extracting regions (either towns or larger regions)

I tried producing the PNG file format. It's about 130mb at level 9 compression. I couldn't get it to upload though. It seems to have the same quality as the 100% jpg which is 101mb. I'll try other formats and quality again later.

The map has 2 main purposes:

- printing, (like I am planning to)

Not really!

Are you planning to print your map in the complete size of 17520x17520px?

That would be a sheet of paper with a size of more than 6 meters/243 inches...

Quote[/b] ]- extracting regions (either towns or larger regions)

A good argument, when i'm going to need that, you're the man. thumbs-up.gif

well atless i got a higher res map when i PS them into the size i want them to print confused_o.gif

BTW what format would be better if you want to keep the pic as lossless as possible while remain a reasonable size?

ArmA has a built in map generation "cheat", see the BI wiki.

The generated map has every individual vegetation object (whereas ingame map has green areas) but poor colours and no place names.

Are you planning to print your map in the complete size of 17520x17520px?

That would be a sheet of paper with a size of more than 6 meters/243 inches...

If you'd print with 72dpi maybe but something like this should be printed at 600dpi for perfect quality, I don't know what size that would be but I will look it up!

How about uploading the maxed version. Like with 100% compression and 101 mb filesize to rapidshare or something...? huh.gif

Im also going to print out this map in large format when I get ARMA. Aswell as making planning maps. Thinking about several laminated maps, on which I can draw with bordmarkers... smile_o.gif

I have uploaded the other jpg file with 100% quality setting. (Link in first post.)

It's not recommended for most people here, just for those people who requested it. It took 1 hour to upload, so definitely don't bother with it unless you have a special use for it.

Notes:

This is not a pure 100% quality image, it's compounded from other 100% jpg images which were originally compounded from pure BMP's. At high zoom (higher than screen resolution), it's noticably better than 70%. At ridiculous zoom levels (giant pixels), the white space is cleaner than 95%.

RAR gave about 5% better compression than ZIP.

Would someone know where online i could find the "ArmA_Sahrani_Map_DrE_100_v1.rar"?

i would like to have it and will probably host it too but Dr_eyeball have a too slow connection actually and i don't even know how to open my ftp to public.

cheers,

Jan