Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Second computer as dedicated server ?

A question to the techies over there :

My desktop comp for Arma is just above the minimum requirements. I can play alone without too many problems but hosting a server and playing in MP seems a bit too much.

Would it be possible/wise to use my laptop as a dedicated server - thus offloading my desktop computer- or would it be useless ? Note that the laptop's GPU is crappy but you don't need it for dedicated server right ?

If so, am I allowed to install another copy of Arma (full version) on the Laptop to run as dedicated server, or do I have to buy another one ?

Thank you for your help

Been answered loads of times before, however;

Yes you can install for use as a dedicated server, the Dedicated Server .exe file does not require the DVD or whatever to be inserted.

I've set one up with my Morphicon download version (though I had to use up a registration - and they said they would give me more when I need them; with a valid reason of course). wink_o.gif

You will of course need a decent spec Laptop and a good broadband connection to run it with any half decent amount of players.

As a guide, my 'Server' (Athlon 3000Xp, 1Gb RAM, ATI9800Pro) with 568k Up, 8Meg down broadband can cope with about 10-12 people. smile_o.gif Above that number and the processor sits at 100%.

#C

I have the download version aswell (from Sprocket).

I will try that tonight.

Thanks for your help

I want to do something similar to this. I'm going to build a server, actually just a computer with a decent CPU and 2GB of ram, and host dedicated servers. I have a copy of ArmA on disc (not downloaded), would I have to install the game and dedicated server software on the server itself? I will not be playing the game on the server, just hosting. Also, I have a router and modem. Where would this server hook up to? My router?

Also, I have 2 other computers connected to the router. When they are both connected to the server, will the server take away from the internet speed and cause me to lag?

No dont install it as such or you will use up your registration, just copy ALL the files over from your gaming rig and download the dedi.exe file from the main portal page or Click Here , pop the file in you c:/program files/bohemia Interactive/Arma folder then right click the dedi.exe and send it to your desktop, thne when you want to launch just click on the icon on your desktop, you can add the server arguments in the target line then as well...you do not need to have a regisration number to host a server..

Quote[/b] ]Also, I have 2 other computers connected to the router. When they are both connected to the server, will the server take away from the internet speed and cause me to lag?

Depends on the number of players connected to the server - and what the other computers are uploading/downloading.

Though.. Yeah, it probably will lag - unless you have a decent router that can prioritise traffic).

Of course, if you have a 100Meg line, you can do whatever the hell you want! wink_o.gif

#C