Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

Some Arma Questions.

Hi guys,

I am new to Arma, and have enjoyed the Multiplayer Demo but have a few questions.

1). Is the 400 square km map explorable in Single player or if deviate from your goals does the mission end? I was thinking more the large landscape was built around supporting multiplayer.

2). In singleplayer are all vehicles available in an open campaign. With Op flashpoint, not all vehicles where readily at your disposal.

Looking forward to its release.

Thanks

Frosty

It's dependent on the mission. If it's anything like OFP, the missions are built so that you face certain death if you go too far into enemy territory. Some missions may end if you go too far off course by assuming you got lost. There is no built-in limit to where you can go from where, though. Some missions (in ofp) were designed to be free roaming and promoted the creativity of the player- to steal vehicles or take the long way around to get from one place to another, for example. Some emulated a pilot being captured and escaping, where you would have to navigate by the stars and walk all the way home... This is a mission that didn't just promoted but required a lot of free roaming- so much so that time compression was your ally for the very long hike!

Some emulated a pilot being captured and escaping, where you would have to navigate by the stars and walk all the way home... This is a mission that didn't just promoted but required a lot of free roaming- so much so that time compression was your ally for the very long hike!

I remember that mission very well. I just stole the helo and flew all the way to the northern part of the island. I finnished it in about 10 minutes. Second time i played it i got shot down by a shilka so had to walk what must of been miles. Like plaintiff1 said, it's all to do with how the mission is designed, it could be straight forward or very complex but the final decision is up to you and that's the beauty of Flashpoint/ArmA. The mission editor is were you'll have your fun with all the vehicles.

Hi j_frost

Simple answere; no this is not a box simulation like quake or unreal.

Generally in missions you wonder around anywhere on a map as you would in real life unless the scenario forbids it via script or the scenario design via minefields or placement of sufficient enemy AI to make it impossible. There exist several scripts for spawning lots of enemy AI closing off certain areas of maps if required by a mission/scenario designer.

In the original SP OFP demo; one of the first things I did was steal the jeep and go for a joy ride and sight seeing tour of the island.

In ArmA as with OFP if you fire up the mission editor you can place your avatar with any weapon anywhere on the the map and from there go anywhere you wish.

You can also place any vehicle as empty on the map and drive it. This is how most of us practice. Ditto ammo crates with any standard weapons or via a very simple one line script you can add any weapons or carry able object to an ammo crate/ammo compartment of a vehicle (too its capacity)

You can of course walk, run, crawl, bicycle, drive and fly over every inch of an ArmA/OFP island any time you want, and you can even sail or swim around its coast. In ArmA you cannot rock climb steep rocky cliffs, so I guess I will have to mod that in confused_o.gif

Hope that answers your question.

Kind Regards Walker

Thanx for the replies.

I was hoping to be able to jump in a harrier and zoom around blowing up real targets not just an empty map void of real enemies.

hopefully this is possible without heaps of effort building maps etc.

Thanks

Frosty

The mission editor makes things like that almost too easy. Just drop in your harrier and some enemy targets and have at it. Most of us old OFP guys spent a LOT more time in the editor than we did actually playing missions. biggrin_o.gif

yep, you can do things like that very easily in the editor. Just put some things down play around add some more things and do it again.

In the original SP OFP demo; one of the first things I did was steal the jeep and go for a joy ride and sight seeing tour of the island.

Exploring the island, outside of the mission area, is not recommended because it destroys the illusion of a large scale war going on around you. The rest of the island feels dead, empty and lifeless and lacks proper checkpoints or populated military camps that you would expect in a country at war. The mission designer could put a few details in the periphery but they aren't worth the effort or resources if the player never ventures out there.

Thanx for the replies.

I was hoping to be able to jump in a harrier and zoom around blowing up real targets not just an empty map void of real enemies.

Thanks

Frosty

Oh yeah, you just put yourself down, but some enemy groups down... fly in and bomb them. To give most towns in a little mechanized infantry squad would probably take you an hour if it took you a half hour to figure out what you were doing. You could make it so that you are unchallenged, or make it so that there are AAA sites around to keep you busy... you could probably even put some groups of ai civies in there if you wanted to take the time to do that. That said, most aircraft missions in ofp weren't 'take off, fly 10 feet, kill everything, go home'. The Limited size of the islands meant that you weren't flying for that long, but you were able to see quite a lot of the islands between waypoints.

Thanx for the replies.

Thanks

Frosty

Oh yeah, you just put yourself down, but some enemy groups down... fly in and bomb them.  To give most towns in a little mechanized infantry squad would probably take you an hour if it took you a half hour to figure out what you were doing.  You could make it so that you are unchallenged, or make it so that there are AAA sites around to keep you busy...  you could probably even put some groups of ai civies in there if you wanted to take the time to do that.  That said, most aircraft missions in ofp weren't 'take off, fly 10 feet, kill everything, go home'.  The Limited size of the islands meant that you weren't flying for that long, but you were able to see quite a lot of the islands between waypoints.

This is offtopic but have you guys noticed that when flying the harrier, AA sites never engage you? Neither Shilkas or AA soldiers.

Exploring the island, outside of the mission area, is not recommended because it destroys the illusion of a large scale war going on around you. The rest of the island feels dead, empty and lifeless and lacks proper checkpoints or populated military camps that you would expect in a country at war. The mission designer could put a few details in the periphery but they aren't worth the effort or resources if the player never ventures out there.

This is why I like CTI because you can use the whole island, build your bases wheverer you want to and you never know where the enemy is going to be. It's great setting up random ambushes in player vs player games lol, the OFP CTI's currently being converted to ArmA can also be played by yourself like a single player mission as the AI are very challenging if you dont have much experience commanding.