Sign in to follow this  
Balschoiw

China destroys satellite with ballistic missile

As far as I know from my geography lessons (yes, they can't keep up with the "I-study-subject-X  guys :P") China will have to face huge Environmental problems in max. 50 years. Their population is still increasing and sooner or later they won't be able to feed everybody. Also, they're poluting their rivers and citys like hell, which is already a problem today. (Desertification adds to this)

Another important point is the demographic factor, which means that after this "One-Child-Policy" the major concentration of population will be in the very upper part of the population pyramid. China has to rely on an upcoming generation, which not only has to get along with such a huge country, but also with their parents. (This problem is highly discussed in Germany as well)

Concerning the military question I think that the theory of attacking Russia because of its vast natural resources is quite interesting...

China has a absolutly huge food supply, there country is basicly one big farm. They have the capability to feed there population twice over, so i dont think thats a real issue. Also they have ample resorces. We can see that from how Russia and Japan lusted over the falling Chinease empire on several occasions (russio-japanease war, manchuria etc....). I think the real problem for China is foreign opposition. If we choose to put economic sanctions on China they would be seriously damaged. They have a growing, but not by any means large demand for consumer goods from there own population, and so have to 'export or die'.

Hi all

The USA has little influence over China. Quite the reverse because China owns so much US debt, expected to reach trillion dollars mark ealy this year, anytime it wants too it can dispose of the US dollars and the US economy would take such a hit, that the Wall Street crash would look like a bull market in comparison. sad_o.gif

Why do you think the George Bush Junior keeps cosying up to the Chinese government?

Sadly walker

don't worry guys, if china is planning something (the invasion) they will do it and it will not be stopped at once, it would take time, because there are not so much alied military around that area. So what if F-117s are stationed somewhere in korea's regeon, carrier group, Japan's military, russia's and etc. Only coordinated actions could bring China's invasion force back to it's teritory. And for coordination time is needed...

So you can sleep well people, china will be under control by U.S.; Russia and the rest of the world if something will happen.

We only need to hope that china's military ambitions will not brake "Peace in World" by some leader of that country.

* "Peace in World" - I mean no world war or nuclear war.

P.S. do not underestimate the old and big bear, which is sleeping in a hidden cave, because there's winter out there... whistle.gif I think you understand about what country i'm talking icon_rolleyes.gif

yes i think russia is still more than capable of defending itself. China is actually defended by Russia on this issue, Russia have disredited the evidence of the launch. There no real evidance that suggests china are lusting after russia at all

Hi all

As I warned a few hours ago the US debt to China is a major weapon China can use in any trade war with the US. As this recent article in Forbes points out many of the rich are dis-investing in the US and moving to other currencies partcularly the Yuan.

Quote[/b] ]Billionaires

Hold China, Shun Dollars

Russell Flannery, 01.18.07, 6:00 PM ET

...Lee, expecting to add to his own legend, sees more good times to come from the main growth engine of his new wealth: China. "There is risk, but the risk/reward ratio makes it worth investing in," Lee said in an interview. "China is enjoying a very healthy boom, and there are a lot of opportunities unseen and undreamed of only 20 years ago."

What he's not optimistic about is the U.S. dollar. "I am a bear on the U.S. dollar," he says. "The U.S. has a mountain of debt. I don't believe in debt. Ever since I was young, I have seen how paper money has suffered. If a country is encouraging a lot of debt, at the end of the day, they have to repay. If they don't, there will be big turmoil."

Lee makes it clear that he doesn’t foresee a short-term collapse of the dollar, but notes: "Let me say that I'm less confident in holding dollars than renminbi and other foreign currencies, such as the Australian dollar, followed by the Euro and the yen."...

http://www.forbes.com/busines....ee.html

Follow link for the full story

While I do not expect China to drop the US economy out of the airplane door, I do expect it will do two things:

1) Buy more US debt. It is an old bankers adage "when you can own his house and his future earnings, sell him some more loans."

2) Flex China's increasing economic muscle to win other political, economic, and defense arguments.

China has been doing exactly this for the past 4 years. US. manufacturers tell us that China's yuan is undervalued by between 15% or as much as 40%. Whenever the US complains about exchange rates China ignores George Bush Junior and buys more US debt and George Bush Junior is forced to thank and kowtow to his Chinese bank manger.

China flexes it economic muscle

In an obvious move by way of a warning to George Bush Junior on any questioning of China's Space Defence policy China flexed that economic muscle yesterday along with a clear threat by Premier Wen Jiabao that China would "actively explore and expand the channels and methods for using foreign exchange reserves,". It also denotes China's intention to expand its banks by reinvesting in them thus allowing it to take on more US debt and increasing China's control of the US economy.

Quote[/b] ]China's Forex Reserves Move Is Unlikely to Hurt Dollar

By James T. Areddy

Word Count: 779

SHANGHAI – China's decision to make greater use of its $1.06 trillion in foreign exchange reserves could fuel uncertainty about the dollar but is unlikely to result in any immediate selling of the U.S. currency by the world's fourth biggest economy.

In a speech Saturday at the end of a key financial working conference, Premier Wen Jiabao said China would "actively explore and expand the channels and methods for using foreign exchange reserves," according to the official Xinhua news agency. The comment was the highest-level confirmation yet that China is thinking actively about how it can use the reserves, which ...

http://online.wsj.com/google_....ews_wsj

Follow link for full storyNB requires a subscription

I believe this to be a precursor of things to come.

Read this article and follow the link for an explanation of how much power China now has over the USA.

Quote[/b] ]Why China Affects Your Mortgage Payment

By Rick Newman

Posted 12/4/06

Every economist will tell you that China's surging economic growth has a direct effect on U.S. consumers. But how, exactly? Sure, cheap Chinese imports help lower our shopping bills. But Communist Party ministers in Beijing also touch the average American through more abstruse things, like what they do with foreign-exchange reserves and currency valuations.

To help explain how, Deputy Business Editor Rick Newman spoke with Jim Barth, a senior finance fellow at the Milken Institute in Los Angeles. Barth, who also teaches at Auburn University, recently led an international team that advised China's central bank on industry reform. He worked for the Reagan and first Bush administrations as a senior government economist and has been a visiting scholar at a number of agencies, including the World Bank.

So let's talk about why American consumers should care about what happens in China.

For starters, China accounts for one sixth of the world's population, and it's the fourth-largest economy in the world in terms of gross domestic product. What happens in China can affect the U.S. economy directly. That was not the case 25 years ago.

They're a huge exporter now...

http://www.usnews.com/usnews....r_4.htm Follow the link for the full four page explanation

While we continue to have the profligate NeoConMen commies, with their big government spending and pointless war in Iraq in the White House, I expect we will continue to see an inability of US foreign policy to deal with China's growing power.

Sadly Walker

A Professor of mine (Globalization studies) was asked if a conflict between the U.S and China is likely to take place in the near future.

His answer was as follows- "If two people are in the same room, and money bills are falling down from the ceiling, they will likely keep on trying to get hold of as many bills as possible, as long as the bills will keep on falling. If they will ever fight each other, it will be only when this "bills rain" stops."

China and the U.S are so dependent on each other economically, and earn so much from the trading relations between the two nation that a conflict (Which will surely put thses relations in harms way) is less then likely in the near future.

Then again, this situation will remain just as long as the bills will keep on falling... wink_o.gif

There are a lot more reasons besides money to start a war for... But I also believe that the U.S. would not be the ideal target of a chinese aggression... there are economically speaking juicier targets in China's neighbourhood... taking into account natural resources, that is...  

BUZZARD @ Jan. 23 2007,00:06)]There are a lot more reasons besides money to start a war for... But I also believe that the U.S. would not be the ideal target of a chinese aggression... there are economically speaking juicier targets in China's neighbourhood... taking into account natural resources, that is...  

I agree, though I think that chinese aggresion, even if directed to ANY of its neighbors, will meet U.S objection, that will affect the ecconomic situation. Thus, I think we can almost be certain that no Chinese hostility is expected as long as China continues its amazing economic growth.

They will not be foolish enough to threaten it.

do you guys want a war with China?  ask a chinease citizen what they think, the Chinease have no intention of conflict with the USA now or in the near future.  If theres going to be any agression you can guarantie it will be from the USA with some weak excuse like "there polluting space".  The Chinease peoples opinion of an american is far higher than the american's opinion of a Chinease.

If any country has an economic boom it increases it defence budget. Im sorry but this talk of China planning to 'take over the world' is just nonscence.

lol, no chance that china will take over the world! we have here Uncle SAm and bear.

but there's still comunism and what people think, it doesn't mean that government thinks same...

china is not communist, it just likes to think it is. its a dictatorship and thats all there is to it. If you read Marxis communist manifesto that would be clear to see becuae there economy wouldnt be anywhere near like it is.

Strategically, Chinese military influence is bordered by Russian and U.S. military influence.

For anyone to expand, another must retreat. should any retreat, another would have the opportunity to expand.

Should the U.S. be economically unable to support the Taiwanese naval base, the Chinese would take it over.

The ability to destroy and jam foreign satelittes is of concern, as all of our early warning systems are satelite based.

I was quite intrested by the mid range ballistic missiles also. They have the accuracy to sink Carriers at 2,000 miles.

An intresting piece of kit, and a potentially capable of changing the balance of world power should they be sold to China's lesser loved allies such as North Korea or Iran.

Economically, China cannot start a trade war and destroy the U.S. or world economy without destroying it's own. This is a double edged sword, and solid glue for world peace more than it is a weapon.

ask a chinease citizen what they think, the Chinease have no intention of conflict with the USA now or in the near future.

I bet you would'nt have gotten too many "yeah, let's invade iraq"-answers out of americans before their administration started beating the war drum. Do not underestimate any goverment's ability to create motivation for a war if needed. Especially a goverment like the one in PRC.

ask a chinease citizen what they think, the Chinease have no intention of conflict with the USA now or in the near future.

I bet you would'nt have gotten too many "yeah, let's invade iraq"-answers out of americans before their administration started beating the war drum. Do not underestimate any goverment's ability to create motivation for a war if needed. Especially a goverment like the one in PRC.

Bet you would of.

Bet you would of.

yes . and it shows my point that the USA is more likely to be the agressive one.  Look at rich chinease families, they send there children to the USA and Britian to be educated becuase they know the future lies in co-operation.

china is not communist, it just likes to think it is.  its a dictatorship and thats all there is to it.  If you read Marxis communist manifesto that would be clear to see becuae there economy wouldnt be anywhere near like it is.

That's a whole other discussion, mate.

Infact, there have never been a truely Communism anywhere in the history of mankind.

Anyway.... Have anyone thought about China is simply flexing its muscle to show North Korea its capabilities due to the tension around that area?

It seems logical to me, that China would show North Korea that they are very near them, and they better watch themselves as China could create quite a problem for N. Korea.