Sign in to follow this  
Paco454

Trade-in Czech version for english version?

This is an open discission I'd like to start on the subject of the Czech/German version bought by customers who have to convert to it english.

When the english version comes out, is it possible for BIS to provide to the community an option for those who want the english version to trade in their Czech/German version for an English version?

Or when patches are released could there be a special patch made for those who have the Czech/German version be able to completly converted their version to english so further patches for the english version can be used with out having to do any converting?

Suggestions:

A coupon to downlaod the english version as a trade in or A special patch to do a complete conversion to english so future english patches work without having to do any further conversions. I think the second option would be easier. What do you guys and gals think? BIS what is you opinion on this? Can we work something out?

PACO454

I'm sure the publishers of the English version would love that!

Good comment, but I fail to see what difference your comment makes, it's being converted just the same. I'm simply looking for a streamlined approach since it's going to be converted with or without BIS's help.

Thank you for your comment.

PACO454

Just buy the English one and sell your Czech one on ebay or something...

personally i am gonna stick with the czech, remove the language pbo and learn another new language.

might come in v handy for scripting and modelling ,but god help me if i try the campaign text out in prague smile_o.gif.

This is the worst idea ever. You should have waited for the english version if you want it and only it, genius.

This is the worst idea ever. You should have waited for the english version if you want it and only it, genius.

Your comment is welcome but only the first part. Your entitled to your opinion and I will accept that, but the second half of your remark is not within the topic {You should have waited for the english version if you want it and only it, genius} and is a personal stab at me YET AGAIN!!!

Frankly, I don't care what you have to say. This is not a pissing post for those who are waitng for the english version! It is a discussion about the best way to have a converted english version since there are plenty of people out there running the converted versions.

If you have something intelligent to post on topic, then post, if not don't bother posting Mr. plaintiff1.

PACO454

I doubt the company that will produce the english version allow you to trade them a copy from another company for their version.

They have to make money some how... Its not just BIS...

Yep, if you wan the english version I think your going to have to buy it, because allowing people to trade in would not make sense from a buisness standpoint.

Yep, if you wan the english version I think your going to have to buy it, because allowing people to trade in would not make sense from a buisness standpoint.

Yes I would have to agree, but how about a courtesy patch since it was BIS that has created the situation. After all, I see no reason why BIS could not have made an english version available when they released it in czech/german. BIS knows there is coverting taking place, I just would like to see the process made easier for those who have contributed to BIS by purchasing it as a courtesy to it's customers.

The bottom line is, those who have to convert, most likely will not buy a new english version when,the english conversion will be made and will be available for "free." I''m just looking at ways to make the process better for those who must convert as a matter of "customer courtesy."

Thanks for the response,

PACO454

I have German version.

I will just buy English version and use my German version as a lan copy and when friends come over and want to play online with me.

plaintiff1, that kind of flaming is not tolerated here. If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't post.

No, not even as a courtesy patch. As others have said, this is a bad idea from a business point. And no, BIS didn't create this situation, YOU did.

BIS released the game to various specific countries and only them. If they openly said "Well if you english people want to play then buy the game" then yeah since they would have encouraged importing. But they didn't, did they, so there is really nothing to discuss.

I have German version.

I will just buy English version and use my German version as a lan copy and when friends come over and want to play online with me.

Ya that would be the obvious thing to do, but there are those who might not be able to afford to do it or, simply won't. That's why I'm looking at this as a matter of courtesy for those who contributed already by purchasing it.

It's just a pain in the butt to have re-convert after each patch and so I was looking to make it easier, again as a matter of courtesy for paying customers.

Thank you for your response,

PACO454

Paco, you got what you paid for. Do you think that BIS is going to look at it like you are now 'stuck' with the inferior czech version and are now going to throw you a bone? Making a political statement like that towards their own business partners would be completely over the top. You should have known what you were getting before you bought it. Did OFP have a magical unifying patch? Negatory, and I believe that all of their versions were published by the same company. The ownus is now on you to do what you like with the product you bought! BIS don't owe you anything. If you want changes to the localization, try IDEA games. If you want to get rid of the czech version, try selling it. If you want the english version, try buying that. Just know that chances are slim that 505 is going to localize it for esperanto or whatever.

I think you are also forgetting it's not BIS that makes the english version(at least I thought it was codemasters that translated everything), it's the publisher that translates everything. So then you have bought a game from a different publisher. This means 2 different companies, so it'll be very doubtfull if they made anything like that.

Also you are stuck with 2 different versions, so you cannot use the same patches, at least not the first one. As the english version will have a much better build then the czech/polish/german version.

Haha, maybe Z-board would let me change my old board for the merc... only, I got that already. Come on guys. think a little before posting stuff like this....

banghead.gif

Gentlemen

I too have down loaded the German version then patched it to English.

Surely when the English one is released it must be compatable or different countries won't be able to go multiplayer???

So I assume that all versions will be the same or at least patched to be the same.

Aren't we only talking about publishers here anyway and not the game designers.

Well that's what I am banking on anyway, however I may still purchase the English one as I need a understandable manual.

Regards

What's the matter with people buying a game for less than 40 ridiculous Euros and then braggin' about how they want to turn it in and get an English version for it ... get a clue will you ?

You don't really think that the Czech and German publishers are going to give you a refund so you can give the money to a different publisher ... this is the most ludricous demand that has ever come to my ears. Seriously.

-Bangs head on desk- banghead.gif

This would open the door to a good marketing opportunity for 505.

I can't see why 505 couldn't offer an exchange process for those with none English copies say 50% discount, then they are making it more likely for current ArmA owners to purchase a copy from them rather than sticking with their patchable none English copies.

It would only require BIS to write an update that would allow the none English versions to be changed to true English versions, and you purchase a new CD key.

Makes excellent PR for 505 on the release of ArmA that most game mags and websites would pick-up on because I don't think it has been done before, what ever it would cost them to do this I reckon they would get back 10x more in publicity.

You're making it sound like they are rescuing somebody from something whereas they're just taking a loss to pick up a stockpile of some other publisher's junk. They would be the laughingstock of the industry, and their stock holders would reach for the ejection lever. I'm with desertfox on this one.

What's the matter with people buying a game for less than 40 ridiculous Euros and then braggin' about how they want to turn it in and get an English version for it ... get a clue will you ?

You don't really think that the Czech and German publishers are going to give you a refund so you can give the money to a different publisher ... this is the most ludricous demand that has ever come to my ears. Seriously.

-Bangs head on desk- banghead.gif

I started this thread as a disscussion to simply look for a streamlined approach since it's going to be converted with or without BIS's help. This is disscussion on ways to unify the situation, not a pissing post to piss on those looking to get an english version.

""I don't think that the Czech and German publishers are going to give you a refund so you can give the money to a different publisher"" is valid point. This would never happen and is moot.

There are at least 2 people in this thread who wish nothing more than cause trouble and use this thread as their personal pissing thread, however the majority have responded with good ideas.

So far the intelligent remarks are "to buy the english copy", which is obvious and the next one seems to be a good idea, would be seen as a courtesy to those who have already contributed by purchasing the Czech/German versions and would not interfer with Czech/German publishers and that was from fubarno1:

""offer an exchange process for those with none English copies say 50% discount, then they are making it more likely for current ArmA owners to purchase a copy from them rather than sticking with their patchable none English copies. It would only require BIS to write an update that would allow the none English versions to be changed to true English versions, and you purchase a new CD key."" This is the type of intelligent responses myself and others are looking for. Off topic responses like "ludricous" and "worst idea ever", "nothing to discuss." are not welcome so go away unlees you have something useful to contribute.

So if you have something intelligent to post then post, if not don't bother posting.

Thanks to all those who responded in an intelligent manner.

PACO454

Too bad we can't Trade in Paco454 for someone thats not a moron.

You keep mentioning that this conversion is going to happen with or without BIS's help, then why are you seeking their help? You've purchased a game not intended for your region, and thus you live with that consequence - asking BIS and its respective publishers to fix a problem you've created is rather unusual to say the least - brave is another term I'd use biggrin_o.gif

you're probably right that it'll be 'fixed' by the community, but considering it was the community who 'broke' it, then that seems fair. If MP games are incompatible because of it, then it really does seem like Karma to me (or a deluded form of it. I dont quite think karma is the correct term, but its the idea im trying to convey)

at any rate, the differences between the two versions will be language audio files and stringtables, no? Considering, and assuming, you own a legitimate Czech copy, then you've bought the right to own the game... no? Hence would it not be comletely above board to find a member with the english copy and ask for the relevant pbo files? I dont see anything illegal in that action since, except for a different language, you're not gaining any content the english copy has extra. If i were to send you the ofp chinook pbo and you owned the legitimate game, then you have gained nothing from that action... i guess its a simliar idea here? I'm clearly no expert on EULA law etc so i wouldnt take anything i said as gospel

I'd say that it would be a tricky one to argue either way, you've caused yourself a problem, so you've only really got your own two feet to stand on when it comes to solving it... and this is probably bordering along the lines of warez chat in some way or another, so I'll be leaving this conversation for sake of not wanting to incure the wrath of the moderators.

Causing yourself a problem and demanding a courtesy call from some corperations to solve it because you contributed 40 euros is outlandish and totally rude. You got what you paid for. Quit trying to take this high and mighty ground and accept, please, that the world does not work that way and you hold solely the accountability for your choices. The whole audacity of this request is raising my hackles, and then to come off as if you are pointing out some kind of flaw that someone owes you to fix is totally insane! I cannot express strongly enough this sentiment without using words or rhetoric that clearly hurt your feelings or upset the very strong sense of entitlement you have going on there. I simply cannot believe that this thread has lasted this long.