Sign in to follow this  
johnwilso007

Elevators?

It was already announced last year when that video was shown the first time that the elevators are scripted. If that video would have been never shown nobody would care about them working or not. What is more important to me is that AI patrolling inside the hotel now. And somebody got a good script working that makes it possible and that's great. The elevators would have been nice but never mind them. Do one of the other 1million++ things you can do with arma and forget about the elevator for now.

Oh indeed, and this whole time I was only pretending to be a scripter... icon_rolleyes.gif Seriously, I can say for sure that no scripts were used to aid the actual lifting part, after a LOT of experience with scripting you can tell these things.

Besides, also knowing how animations and roadway LODs work (especially with the improved engine) makes it extremely convincing that it is indeed not scripted. And not to mention that it wouldn't be logical for someone from BIS to go out of their way to script it when it wouldn't need to be.

Well I assumed a command like <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_hotel1 animate [_elevator1, 1] would be used, which is still scripting tounge2.gif .

The animated doors in OFP: Resistance were done in a similar way, you can see that by looking in their config files.

I didn't mean the actual lifting part was done with a setpos command or something. If it needed to be done that way then it probably would have just been left out.

I have just put my copy of ArmA on ebay. if i would have known the elevators didn't work before buying it. i wouldn't have gotten it.

I hope BIS understands the repercussions this will bring.

lol the final version come out the 15 february, u can by new one at this time.... wow_o.gif

could we please draw aline under the negative aspects of this thread smile_o.gif

___

on the positive side , we have no elevators right now in the hotel.

ihave begun a script and an elevator shaft with 2 lifts that fits nicely into the Land hotel class house.

there are two scripts for animating the doors inside the buildings pbo. if by chance anyone ever works out if the selections have been removed or they are still there and know what they are , then we can then have some work around elavators .

vid to follow later.

p.s whilst testing this i have realised that if a man stands on an object and both man and object is > than .1 in height , the abbility to move is disabled ( appart from sprint forward and crouch.) i would imaginge any one with the ability to bind keys to anims, could make a pretty convincing ,walk around moving vehicles with this knowledge.

Quote[/b] ]i would imaginge any one with the ability to bind keys to anims, could make a pretty convincing ,walk around moving vehicles with this knowledge.

I've always thought it would be a little cluncky? In Arma a slight tap on the forward key will result in a tiny move forward via the run anim. Using scripts you would have to play the entire anim? You may be able to interrupt the anim halfway though, but the method still requires you to pre-calculate the final position based on the duration of the animation. That’s before you even consider the collisions with any vertical geometry of the object your travelling on. Add to that, you can’t compensate for the terrain gradient as far as infantry goes, it would have to be restricted to flat terrain only.

But you don't need to bind anims to the keyboard to test it out, if it's something you really want to see in Arma. You can pole the current anim using a tight loop, and calculate the expected move offset from that. It's just moving around on vehicles has never been a pre-requisite IMHO. Allowing one vehicle to land on another is, but that appears to be a lot simpler.

would it be an acceptable "walking on vehicles " for the masses ? nope, but it would get you from one end of a c130 to the other in order for you to paradrop. also would be ok for similar small manouvers and with anims via dialogue maybe more possibilities.

i agree would be clunky but i saw these new anims and thought it would be less so than in ofp.

I am gonna do some testing next week see how far this will go. wish i was a better model maker tho.

Quote[/b] ]but it would get you from one end of a c130 to the other in order for you to paradrop

Once we get to try animating anything attached to a vehicle. We might be able to simulate the move from seated to para drop. I think that would be a practicle compromise if all else fails?

Quote[/b] ]I am gonna do some testing next week see how far this will go. wish i was a better model maker tho.

Let us know how you get on.

For the Elevators, why not have them like the vehicles?

With the vehicles, you get the option of Driver, Gunner, & back seat icon/menu...then why not with the Elevator you get Ground Floor, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor...and so on.

You don't need the animation for getting in the lift...just like there isn't an animation for getting into the vehicle.

To johnwilso007

If you are talking about lifts, then real lifts have at least 2 safety mechanisms. If the cables get cut, it just gets stuck in the trunk. Falling lifts are only in Hooliowood. Real ones are quite safe.

Since this old thread seems to be the only one about elevators (or lifts tounge2.gif ) Im am adding my salt on (french expression, don't know if this one exists in english : )

So I opened buildings.pbo and found scripts, I opened hotel.p3d and found "selections".

Here what I found :

dvere = door

elevator = vytah

floor = patro

in p3d language, doors names were like :

- dvere_vytah1_p1_a

dvere = door

vytah# = elevator 1 or 2

p# = floor number (1 to 5)

a, b, c = door name, three by floor (?)

Opening script, I found it was called like :

- vytah1p1a

and calling elevator vytah1 (or vytah2)

hotel animate ["vytah1", 4.94/4*(floornumber)]

All the script is written and complete, but actually nothing happens.

Can anyone confirm that ?

Well, maybe it's just not activated in p3d, and will be soon in another patch ?? confused_o.gif

I'm adding my rock about working lifts, I really want them to work... civilian life would be nicer !

'nite goodnight.gif