Sign in to follow this  
neildood

HDR problem?

Hi guys if you watch the video above, i seem to have the same problem when playing and is annoying. The lighting seems to change dramatically whenever you change angle, i havent changed any settings in the Arma config file etc. Is there any fix and is it a known problem.

Many Thanks

AMD64 3800+

7900GS 256mb

2gig of ram

Audigy Soundcard

I get the same issues also. I was thinking it was something to do with the direction your facing either looking at or away from the sun. I'm not sure though.

I also get strange light affects when i'm using NV goggles. Sometimes it's bright and sometimes it's darker.

I have the same problem but to a lesser extent

e6300

p5b deluxe

ati x1950pro

1gig ram

Try the newest version of ArmA demo. I have similar problems in 1.02 full but in the newest demo they are gone wink_o.gif. Most likely this fix is included in next patch smile_o.gif.

Try the newest version of ArmA demo. I have similar problems in 1.02 full but in the newest demo they are gone wink_o.gif. Most likely this fix is included in next patch smile_o.gif.

Ok will try, thanks for response biggrin_o.gif

Also try setting brightness and gamma to the default values of 1. HDR in ArmA seems to be very sensitive to those settings.

@neildood: Please don't post spam! Posting only smilies or "guess no one knows" is spam. wink_o.gif

I have the same problem. Cant see anything on normall settings, so I must make brightness up to 1.8 to see anything and then sometimes I have very bright screen and still sometimes too dark. Even this sun effect is not realistic. I hope they will remove this stupid HDR becouse this only mess with screen. I know it from Oblivion and HL2. Some kids maybe like it but then world look unreal and ArmA should be realistic game.

And damn map, I want OFP map in ArmA

I don't know I haven't had a problem on my computer. Though I think the sun effect is overdone.

PS- agree about the map too. It is not even functional anymore.

I am using the latest demo and I have seen that HDR gone wrong effect inside buildings. In my case, I went from outside to inside the room, turned toward an open doorway and the same thing happened with the HDR. In my case the floor got white and started to disappear. I looked away, then looked back at where the floor texture was corrupting and it looked normal again.

I really want to like this game. I like the premise of it, I like the coop. But, man, it is sure full of bugs. If the bugs could be solved, it would be a very good game for the more tactical minded.

I don't have this rapidly changing light effect, and I kind of wish I had such intense sunlight but without the eratic aperture calculations. I do have the same effect indoors though. It like applying too much colour burn/dodge in photoshop. It's an artifact of a colour calculation going out of range or something, I'd imagine.

well in real life when you look towards the sun or a brightened area you squint slightly...

Maybe it would have been better ingame to slightly darken the outer edge of the screen or something... tho thats pretty wierd... I guess its hard to simulate squinting effects lol.

I love the sun 'burst' effect... looks brilliant compared to most other games which just have a few circles coming from the sun supposed to be glare... But HDR needs to be tidied smile_o.gif

Why does the game run dark on Normal? Not many people have a problem that you describe with on the HDR. I suggest keeping the settings on normal brightness/gamma and turning up your monitor's brightness level. It is probably too low...

Game seems to have issues when turning up the brightness much.. HDR is wierd lol

Well I'm sorry to say but you're stuck with the over the top HDR for now. It was the first thing I noticed when playing for the first time. At certain angles/directions, the whole entire continent would darken, making it look like it was a completely different time of day.

Then you make a 180 degree turn and magically it gets bright again. Sloppy coding/limited testing/rushing to release/etc... are the culprits here. It's not your system, believe me.

It's hard to tell whether this is actually irratic behaviour or just people reacting negatively to a feature that's working perfectly. Let's spend a little time on how the human eyes work, shall we? This is relevent because HDR is an attempt to display high contrast ranges through dynamic adaptation, modelled after how the human eye works.

If you are facing the sun and it is in your eyes, your pupils dialate in an attempt to let in less light. Too much light over excites the photoreceptors in your retina and washes out your vision, not to mention 'hurts them'. It also causes you to squint, thereby further attempting to cut down the amount of light getting to your eyes.

The full dynamic range of human eyesight can be expressed a contrast ratio of one hundred million to one, allowing for physical and photochemical adaptation. At any given time, for any given 'scene' though, the human eye can only perceive a contrast ratio of one thousand to one.

Therefore, if you are staring into the sun in real life or in the game, your eyes will adapt to the overabundance of light by attempting to limit the amount of light that gets into the eyes. This occurs as a sweepign change in yoru field of view, rather than per lightsource, so, the sun will appear dimmer but so will everything else you can see. Turning away from the sun will eliminate that overabundance of light and your vision can then return to 'normal'- that is, at the optimum adaptation to the scene you are attempting to view, rather than in a mode that is attempting to preserve your eyesight from damage!

In this way, we can see that if you're facing the sun and then face away, the behaviour of the scene changing contrast dramatically is to be expected, and moreover, is evidence that the HDR is working properly rather than to the contrary!

Ach plaintiff1 stop say stupid things. If this HDR work great then this game is unreal and not playable. How You want play TDM or CTF if You on every step have dark landscape, then bright, then sun make you blind. This will be not a game, this will be catastrophe. I have no fun to play with game like this where you must be fast and aim perfect when I not see a things 10m from me. Even scope in M16 is very small so you see much less area than in OFP M4 Aimpoint. It is not very good. And map, its damn shit.

When I instaled BF2 I was able to play it good after 1 hour of enjoying landscape. On BF2 is everything on its own place. And I still play on v1.0. That is game that I want spend my money. Arma is a big joke now. Waiting for good total conversion to OFP

I play ctf all the time and I don't have a problem with it. It seems to work for some people and not for others. I was saying that it's hard to tell whether it's working properly for some people and not for others because some of the descriptions of 'malfunctions' sound like the engine is working perfectly!

I would like to emphasize that I play CTF *ALL THE TIME* and I have never been annoyed by the HDR. The devs even advertise the HDR effects as giving those with the sun to their backs a tactical advantage. Sounds like it's working properly, and sounds like you just don't like the feature. Unfortunately, at least I hope, it's like it or lump it on this one because I enjoy the feature quite a lot.

The feature may be working as intended, but it comes down to trying to simulate what real vision does in real life. And that never works in a computer game.

Firstly, real life eyes don't black out whole landscapes just because your head is facing the sun. Perhaps if you stared directly at the sun, yes. But Arma has no way of telling where your *eyes* are looking, only your character's head.

There sure would be a lot of traffic accidents if looking in the sun's direction while driving blacked out the road and surrounding landscape and left only the sky visible.

Perhaps in the demo you're not seeing it as bad as 1.02 retail users.

i noticed this problem results into issues with Night Vision too ...

all of sudden whole visible scene is "bright" green it can easily blind You (there is no moonlight or light source to cause this) ...

NV feels way too weird (compared to NV i used IRL) ...

The feature may be working as intended, but it comes down to trying to simulate what real vision does in real life. And that never works in a computer game.

Firstly, real life eyes don't black out whole landscapes just because your head is facing the sun. Perhaps if you stared directly at the sun, yes. But Arma has no way of telling where your *eyes* are looking, only your character's head.

There sure would be a lot of traffic accidents if looking in the sun's direction while driving blacked out the road and surrounding landscape and left only the sky visible.

I've never had the hdr 'blackout' the landscape in any way, shape or form. Also, the calculations are taken with some kind of skew towards where your reticle is pointing, I think. This is good news for you, because I am using v1.03.5116! The resolutions of your problems may only be a short time coming!

It doesn't blacken the whole landscape in game, at least it's not suppose to. See my post on the last page with a temporary fix (which has been posted many times).

This isn't quite HDR guys. This effect is as discussed used to recreate the over or under exposure of sun light yes. but that isn't HDR. HDR- High dynamic range is taking the results from many levels of exposure and merging these together to give an image with much more detail to comparing area's of exposure.

Imagine taking a picture from the ground looking up past a group of tree's at the sky. the sky is bright the tree's are shadowed and dark. in a picture it would be easy to either loose all the detail in the sky and see the tree detail or vica versa. with HDR you would take the images of various exposure and merge them to get the detail in

both the sky and the tree's. Although this is new to games it's been around along time in photography. just search for like HDR/I. Oblivion/HL2 ep1 are really the best example's so far of its use within games. ARMA can look very nice, but alas as mentioned I think it effects the player to too wide an angle and seems to toggle unrealistically. maybe just me set-up or drivers.

good game should have many options to choose in options tab. Oblivion and HL2 let you turn off HDR. I personaly dont like it and I cant play with it. ArmA looks like have only standard options and nothing "advanced". Thats next point why I have bad feelings about this game. OFP have his OPF Preferences.exe where You can change many things

this HDR really f*** playing

i wanted to make some missions and sometimes when i turn there is to dark to see enemy sometimes it is so bright

i hope that BIS will do something to turn this s*** off !!!