Sign in to follow this  
Atelophobia

Possible to turn off grass?

Well, read the Demo patches notes, you'll be very happy HeatSeeker :
Quote[/b] ]5115  - New: Terrain Detail now controls grass detail as well (can be used to turn off the grass if you set terrain detail on very low) NOTE: in MP this is controlled by the server only

but it affect the overall terrain details too i think(i wish to play with normal terrain details which makes the island more life like yet didnt lags that much due to the stupid grass)

It doesn't seem to make the game look bad for me. I just turn terrain detail on very low, texture detail on very high, object detail on very high, and give it a 2500 draw distance, and the game look very good.

I'll be happy if indeed we can control grass detail untill they'll fix the AI seeing through it, after that I wouldn't mind seeing the grass back as it was.

What would be nice additionally if one could flatten the grass by going forward but without it rising up if you crawl back. That way you could make a viewpath through the grass. That means you will be just as exposed as normally while flattening it, but you crawl back and cover yourself better behind the hill once opening fire.

If you keeping the grass flat would be undersirable for some reason, you could make it go down at the current radius (70cm?) and go up again after say 3 meters.

Oh yes... making the grass go flat...

...and one more thing: digging a hole into the ground, where you can lay down and be in cover from enemy fire, would be a killer feature. Dynamic terrain reshaping or something. Everyone wanting to keep their lives on the battleground would have to carry a small shovel.

Well that's for BIS to consider into their future products. For sure it would more accurately model what real armed forces do, but would it add enough to the gameplay to be worth implemented? Sorry, this is going too offtopic I will stop here.

I dont think digging holes will be *that* useful in ArmA.. correct me if im wrong but the military usually dig holes to hold a position for a long period of time, in ArmA the amount of time you spend in one place is usually fairly limited...

Plus digging a hole will have to take time, and it cant be made in most places anyway... (most viable in the desert) and the hole wont just appear so someone will just rush up and shoot you in the head while you're getting green fingered wink_o.gif

Yes you are right wink_o.gif

It would take way too long for a computer game session if we wanted to model real large scale warfare accurately.

Edit: I must add that, in my military training I was told that in an event of changing positions during a battle, we should start digging if we stop for little more than a very short break. And I think that's even a good thing to do, you can never know when an enemy charges against you and if you do not have sufficient cover then it's very bad situation to be in. Better start digging right now!

I think the way they have the grass going flat in a two foot area around you works good and as you move the grass bounces back up seem to work as well. If they starting taking the grass out whats next? The bushes,trees and buildings?

I think the way they have the grass going flat in a two foot area around you works good and as you move the grass bounces back up seem to work as well. If they starting taking the grass out whats next? The bushes,trees and buildings?

It only has to do with the AI being able to clearly see you through the grass when on a slope, and the fact that the grass blocks your view when you switch to optics view sometimes. It has nothing to do with trees or buildings or any strange reason you might want to remove those.

The main thing for me is being spotted through the grass. I don't mind the optics thing, I can move around to fix that. When I'm getting mowed down by an AI that can see through it, then it's a problem.

Quote[/b] ]grass blocks your view when you switch to optics view sometimes

Its doesnt on mine when the grass mats down i have a clear view for fire when i switch from optics back and forth and it depends i guess i what you think the AI can see as to how exposed you are. I guess the only way to tell is test it out with a buddy on TS or something checking how exposed you are. Its worth a shot biggrin_o.gif

Its doesnt on mine when the grass mats down i have a clear view for fire when i switch from optics back and forth and it depends i guess i what you think the AI can see as to how exposed you are. I guess the only way to tell is test it out with a buddy on TS or something checking how exposed you are. Its worth a shot biggrin_o.gif

I will try to take screenshots next time it happens so you can see what I'm talking about, because you apparently don't get it.

The game doesn't render grass past 20 meters. The AI can see through the grass as if it wasn't there. It's really not a complicated thought process.

so when i see grass 200 to 300 meters away from me with AI in it rendered, you saying that at that distance they dont see the same thing looking back at me? When i have a veiw distance of 6000 i can follow from myself as far as i can see to a far distances rendered grass.

Then you must apparently be the only one that has the grass render beyond 20-50 meters, why don't you try reading around on the forums? The grass issue is discussed quite frequently.

Your screens are too small to make anything out, anyways, nobody is talking about the green ground disappearing, they're talking about the tall obstructing grass disappearing.

Well, with grass not really blocking your view most of the time anymore, the fact that AI can also see you isn't really an issue anymore : it's only fair for them wink_o.gif Tbh they are dumb enough to not blind them more when you can yourself most of the time shoot them easily.

EDIT : sorry, I completely misquoted tounge2.gif But I kind of agree I don't have much problem anymore now with the grass system on Demo. Which doesn't mean that BI can stop trying to find a view-blocking grass implementation, ofc.

so when i see grass 200 to 300 meters away from me with AI in it rendered, you saying that at that distance they dont see the same thing looking back at me? When i have a veiw distance of 6000 i can follow from myself as far as i can see to a far distances rendered grass.

You could set the ground clutter (grass etc) to 1000 meters in the island config and it's not going to make a difference to the AI wether it's at 1000 or 1m. The grass to the AI is a invisible object and if you want to include even more realism shooting through blades of grass will cause the bullet to deform and not be very accurate at all.

calm down guys. look at the changes log for the armademo:

"5115 - New: Terrain Detail now controls grass detail as well (can be used to turn off the grass if you set terrain detail on very low) NOTE: in MP this is controlled by the server only"

This is the solution for all of us here ;-)

i like more idea of more balanced distribution of grass with 2-5 times longer distance (transit between grass and no grass then blends way nicer) ...

sure You can mod this manually editing and repacking Sara but that's way too complicated ...

i hope BIS move these settings into client config file (grass settings la Oblivion)

ofcourse with MP 'enforceable' by server values smile_o.gif

Well, I like the grass. Looks nice. Makes for very good screenshots smile_o.gif

Until you lie in it, of course. Then it's simply irritating.

Since lack of grass will also up your FPS quite a bit (see the link given above, I love that change!wink_o.gif, I'd like an official option to turn it off.

Lo and behold, the next patch will (amongst other things) bring this:

Quote[/b] ] (can be used to turn off the grass if you set terrain detail on very low)

Mind you, since my PC is rather powerful (and I'm looking at an update in 6-8 months), I don't want to have to turn the terrain detail away just to make grass disappear. I want to keep all those nice juicy details - just without the grass...

well while i take a look into the config i found that there are many grass type which the game will render, so you can surely creat your own grass and put it into the game not very hard, question is the will it affect the chance for having it disable with one single button?

well i just hope they do soemthing about the grass.

its really annoying when u cant see enemy units and get shot from nowhere.

that alone wouldnt be too bad if the enemy soldiers couldnt see you as well when they are lying down. but aparently they can

:-(

turning off grass by reducing terrain detail to very low is not a very cool option. i spent a lot on my hardware and want to run the games with all eye candy on.

the eyecandy stuff should not make chances worse for the player though.

Well some eye candy stuff will hinder the player.. as in real life..

Things get blurred as they go into the distance, which is how post processing works... though i, like many find it irritating, and also it can eat up a bit of FPS.

The grass looks nice but eats too much of my computer's performance to be useful. Zooming becomes painful!

Well some eye candy stuff will hinder the player.. as in real life..

at least the eyecandy should not give the AI an advantage over the player.

see through AI just sucks, i hope they will fix that in anotehr way besides just setting all terrain detail to lowest.

seperate option for the grass would be necessary to turn it off