Sign in to follow this  
maxqubit

ArmA/360 avant la lettre:)

That looks pretty good. Is it alot easier to fly with the controller? been thinking of getting one as i play R6 vegas and you can use the 360 controller with that to smile_o.gif

That looks pretty good. Is it alot easier to fly with the controller? been thinking of getting one as i play R6 vegas and you can use the 360 controller with that to :)

I fiddled some time to configure the controller to get it right. But with this setup and with these kind of heli missions imo the controller is better than keyboard/mouse (at least for me as xbox/360 gamer it is much more familiar;).

The reason is you've got all controls at hand, never hit the wrong key, never look for a key.

But when it comes to using the 360 controller to do everything in ArmA, i have to say it is NO good. I can't get the infantry bit right (perhaps with TrackIR it can be done cause it frees up the right stick for aiming)

Teamcommanding, and a lot of special functions just can't be mapped all to the controller, so you definately need the keyboard.

But if you have a 360 wired controller at hand, give it a try when driving/flying (solo), it is much fun.

I'm using the 360 controller to fly and drive in Armed Assault. Hahaha, as topic says it feels like ArmA/360 avant la lettre:)

YouTube vid

FileFront vid (hires)

What the bloody hell?

Sorry can't view the vid right now, are you saying that you're playing ARMA on the 360?!?!?!?

Please tell me it's so..

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

I'm using the 360 controller to fly and drive in Armed Assault. Hahaha, as topic says it feels like ArmA/360 avant la lettre:)

YouTube vid

FileFront vid (hires)

What the bloody hell?

Sorry can't view the vid right now, are you saying that you're playing ARMA on the 360?!?!?!?

Please tell me it's so..

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

LOL Noooooooooooooooooooooo! ... i'm only using the 360 CONTROLLER with ArmA/PC, and pretend playing the non-existing Arma/360:):)

shouldn't this be in the Armed Assault forum and not the OFP: Elite one?

yes it should be!

Moving.

If you feel a thread has been posted in the wrong forum, please use the "Report to Moderator" function. Thanks.

Moving.

If you feel a thread has been posted in the wrong forum, please use the "Report to Moderator" function. Thanks.

I posted it in Elite because ArmA/360 is imo a continuation of Elite, whereas ArmA(/PC) is a continuation of OFP:R.

I was only cheering up some Elite players who would like to see ArmA on 360. Hooking up the 360 controller just as a teaser for them.

No other intention than that.

i dont see a diffrence in you flying with the controller and my flying with keybord and mouse

So much for the 'superiority' of the mouse+keyboard then:)

I was wondering, what type of connector does the Xbox joypad have?

Cheers Frank.

Joypad?? You mean controller?

XBOX controller is a special plug not usable on std usb

but

360 controller (wired) is standard usb. Get the driver for this from MS, plug it in and it works (and is fully supported/assignable in ArmA) ... the controller is not cheap but a quality piece of work and very comfortable. Best controller i have used (not counting Wii thingy, no experience with that;)

To clear things up, if anyone still don't get it, he's using the PC version of the 360 controller, developed by Microsoft. smile_o.gif

Oh and ontopic,

What patch are you running?

Not 100% clear still:)

The WIRED controller is for 360 AND PC!! (but of course mainly associated with 360 because it comes standard with the core package)

Btw, the wireless 360 controller is afaik still NOT useable with pc

Check specs @ MS

Get the driver here @ ms (just select the correct entries)

I have been using a usb gamepad for a while now to fly.

12 programmable buttons, all u need at your fingertips.

I find it much smoother than keyboard and mouse. smile_o.gif

XBOX controller is a special plug not usable on std usb

Actually, even the regular-ass XBOX's controller is standard USB, the plug is just different. It's quite easy to make an adapter for it. Personally, I already would have if I was not so lazy and my wired controller was'nt broken. tounge2.gif

Eizei. thx for the mod link. I have a xbox top gun flight stick lying around. No use for xbox anymore but i can make the usb plug and see if it is usable as flightstick in ArmA

(when you are low on cash, you've got to be inventive:)

i actually dug out my ol logitech freedom 2.4 stick which improved flying !!!

but after your vid max just bought a 360 controller and thats even better!!! biggrin_o.gif

Hehehe ... i took my old xbox Thrustmaster Top Gun flightstick. Did the 10 minute mod from link Eizei (well it took me 30 mins;) ... plugged it in. It was instantly regonized by XP and configureable under ArmA.

Tried it for another 15 minutes .. Well the flying seems cool, perhaps with training even very cool BUT, i instantly knew the 360 controller is better suited for me ... reason? all the buttons etc, are much easier to reach and stuff ... also configuring viewing and gunner targeting is much easier with the controller than with the stick.

Conclusion: I have now a usb flightstick but i wil stick (sic;) to the controller for flying AND driving (last one obviously can't be done with a flightstick)

Edit: btw, the 360 controller is a notch better than the xbox controller ... reason, the 2 bumper/shoulder buttons which come in very handy as up/down for flying (with xbox controller you would have to revert to black/white which of course is a lesser solution)

Im currently using my xbox360 controller and it works a treat, just wondering what buttons you've configured to fly?

As i want to know if ive got my 360 controller optimized properly for flying.

Im currently using my xbox360 controller and it works a treat, just wondering what buttons you've configured to fly?

As i want to know if ive got my 360 controller optimized properly for flying.

(Check my vid ... in the intro is my current setup;)

Currently it is like this:

Flying = Left stick

Looking around = Right stick

Aiming = Right stick (this is a bit weird when being gunner in normal view, looking AND aiming at the same time, but in Optics mode it is ok;)

Rudders = Left/Right analogue triggers (if we get more rudder at higher speed, Cobra becomes a freakin' killing machine;)

Up/Down = Left/Right shoulder buttons

Y = Fire

B = Manual fire

X = Change weapons

A = Action

back = Hover

start = Next team (character switch e.g. pilot/gunner)

Click left stick = Target next

Click right stick = Optics/Visor

D-up = Fire(!)

D-down = action menu down

D-left = zoom out

D-right = zoom in

Perhaps you are surprised i have 2(!) buttons assigned for Fire. reason is that when being pilot the Y is best, but when being gunner the Y is not good cause you have to take your thumb from the right stick so i choose D-pad-up

One final remark. I experimented also with right trigger to Fire but this doesn't work. Right trigger doesn't fire (probably because it is an analogue trigger and not digital) ... anyway, the triggers are better for rudders anyway.

Hope this helps

-- Max

PS; i made a little script which makes the helicopter keep the flying height when switching to gunner, plus i disabled some AI ... now i can fly, switch to gunner with the pilot remaining at the same height (and not landing or going to default flying heigt). I can/will post the script and the init's used in the mission later.

Yea cool vid, looks so much easier than mouse/keyboard. Ive noted your setup and will change my controller and will give it a go, many thanks for help smile_o.gif

Check this post for a downloadable mission which resembles the mission in the vid (with char switching)