Sign in to follow this  
jaguax

Any SLI Users?

I've been posting over at

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=822

as well about this.  The moderator said he was forwarding the info to nVidia.

This is particularly vexing to me because I've gone full out on my rig.

Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 @2.93gz (default)

ASUS P5NSLI mobo

2GB DDR2 800 RAM

SB X-Fi

eVGA 8800GTX SLI

Seasonic M12 700W PSU with 4 PCI-E pwr connectors

I've been futzing about with the settings.  If you look in my post on the slizone, you can see the attempts he made with the profile.

ATM, I run at 2560x1600 with most other advanced settings on normal, except post-processing that I put on low--I can't stand that blur effect.  I get about 30-40FPS in most circumstances with SLI disabled.  With it on, I get 15-25 FPS.

Hopefully we can figure this out.

Quote[/b] ]ATM, I run at 2560x1600 with most other advanced settings on normal, except post-processing that I put on low--I can't stand that blur effect.  I get about 30-40FPS in most circumstances with SLI disabled.  With it on, I get 15-25 FPS.

Yeah, thats an odd one. To get worse FPS with SLI on. Most of us who hit problems, never saw any difference, either way, at first.

If you get better results with 3DMark0*.exe when SLI is running as opposed to being disabled. Then your it's not your system.

That was one of the first things I did, but the boost was only marginal over the custom profile they whipped up at the slizone for me.

I've tried it in FEAR and other FPS's and have seen 70-150 FPS even in heavy firefights at 2560x1600. There must be something funky about ArmA's graphics engine.

I have also being trying different combinations and still have no luck. I see sporatic results, seems like my SLI works only sometimes confused_o.gif

Moving to Troubleshooting (which I should have done a long time ago)

I'm going to be building a system specifically for ArmA and I'm wondering if the SLI situation has improved with the latest 1.08 patches and the newest drivers from Nvidia. Has anyone noticed any improvements? I will be running XP not Vista.

Also, I know the 8800 series has had problems with Arma, would it be better to go with a 7950GX2 SLI (quad GPU, 2gig vram) versus a single 8800GTX? Opinions and recommendations welcome.

I am running ArmA with a 7950GX2 (93.81 drivers ), AMD FX-60 and 2gb of RAM.

Renamed the arma.exe to Gothic2.exe and can confirm that SLI is working for me.

The AFR vertical bar is approx 90pct loaded once in game. The bar is mostly empty during the loading screens.

But as I said the bar is pretty well full during game play, only occasionally "shrinking" to about 70pct every now and then.

cheers

The AFR vertical bar is approx 90pct loaded once in game. The bar is mostly empty during the loading screens.

But as I said the bar is pretty well full during game play, only occasionally "shrinking" to about 70pct every now and then.

cheers

I'm going to check later tonight myself but is there a difference between using fear.exe and using the built in arma.exe SLi profile that exists in the XP v162.18 drivers?

I only see about 20-40% bar usage while playing.

C2D 6600 @ 3.3

2x 8800 GTX KO

1920x1200 (normal AA in game and very high AF)

I was having problems too until I disabled my paging file and turned off transparency antialiasing in my nvidia control panel. With 2 7800 gtx in SLI I was getting around 50-60 fps (until one card fried now I'm waiting on my replacement lol), but until I disabled my page file I couldnt even look at a bush or it would slow to a crawl. You need at least 2 gigs ram btw

cheers

I'm going to check later tonight myself but is there a difference between using fear.exe and using the built in arma.exe SLi profile that exists in the XP v162.18 drivers?

I only see about 20-40% bar usage while playing.

C2D 6600 @ 3.3

2x 8800 GTX KO

1920x1200 (normal AA in game and very high AF)

I finally got around to comparing the built in arma.exe vs fear.exe SLi profiles (driver 162.18) and found, quite to my surprise, a huge improvement in SLi using fear.exe. Non scientific testing but ArmA Mark went from ~3000 to ~4000. I tried forcing AFR 1,2 and SFR on the arma.exe profile and found that AFR1 is the only one that actually works at all. Not being an SLi profile guru I am assuming that there are special timings/settings on the fear.exe profile that optimize it. Is that right?

Anyway, just wanted to share this with other SLi users and maybe get any feedback about others experiences.

YT