Sign in to follow this  
eJay

No-Grass islands released!

since this is an addon and not a replacement people will have to convert missions to this island to play with no grass. there for player vs player wont work with 2 people having one island and the other 2 using the other.

@Dallas

Erm wink_o.gif

btw. Nice Addon! thumbs-up.gif

since this is an addon and not a replacement people will have to convert missions to this island to play with no grass. there for player vs player wont work with 2 people having one island and the other 2 using the other.

@Dallas

Erm wink_o.gif

btw. Nice Addon! thumbs-up.gif

I thought I'd bang my drums anyway. whistle.gif

Nice addon. I hadn't fired up ArmA for about a month but did so just to check it out; certainly looks a lot better than the acres of useless grass that's in the game (and that BIS should have made switchable).

Now, if you could just make some mods for the flight models, clunky movement and aiming to bring it back to something like OFP, it might be worth playing ArmA! wink_o.gif

Keep up the good work

biggrin_o.gif

Nice idea, the grass in normal Arma is useless. People who say otherwise are remedials. Well done.

Next version for you, SaraNG + 6 Digit Grid References.

class Grid : Grid {

offsetX = 0;

offsetY = 0;

class Zoom1 {

zoomMax = 0.1;

format = "000";

formatX = "000";

formatY = "000";

stepX = 100;

stepY = 100;

};

class Zoom2 {

zoomMax = 1e+030;

format = "00";

formatX = "0";

formatY = "0";

stepX = 1000;

stepY = 1000;

};

};

I like the idea, But without the grass It looks scarily bare. Maybe sometime someone can release a light version of grass, say a tuft here or there as such.

Nice job guys! Altough I would miss the grass, as for me it adds to the immersion, except of coarse the fact that it's everywhere around you smile_o.gif

I personally would prefer 'less grass' and 'less tall' grass, but since there are no tools available yet, I guess that's a dream that remains for a while biggrin_o.gif

Thank ya a lot! smile_o.gif

I have a dual core machime AMD 3800X2, but also just a Geforce 6600 PCi;

I ounly like the gameplay, not the slideshow graphics.

And your addon increases the gameplay ! yay.gif

I personally would prefer 'less grass'

Just change a number in the config of sara.pbo wink_o.gif

I lowered my grass with 70%, that way it still feels like ArmA (as opposed to the barren feel of OFP), but still get a nice FPS boost, and the grass isnt constantly in my face anymore when laying down tounge2.gif

EDIT:

For those interested, look at this:

clutterGrid = 3.110000;

clutterDist = 27;

noDetailDist = 20;

fullDetailDist = 0.200000;

minTreesInForestSquare = 2;

minRocksInRockSquare = 1;

Everything should speak for itself, iirc 'clutter' is the grass/little rocks

I'm happy that u enjoy my little addon smile_o.gif Now I have to wait for new Visitor smile_o.gif

I lowered my grass with 70%, that way it still feels like ArmA (as opposed to the barren feel of OFP), but still get a nice FPS boost, and the grass isnt constantly in my face anymore when laying down tounge2.gif

Thanks m8! I haven't taken a look at it yet ...

Are you talking about Density reduction or height reduction, or both? biggrin_o.gif

Thanks m8! I haven't taken a look at it yet ...

Are you talking about Density reduction or height reduction, or both? biggrin_o.gif

Looks like i edited my post just too late, please look at my previous post wink_o.gif

Im talking only about Density reduction, i'm afraid hight reduction requires the new o2 (not sure though).

I actually like the way BIS implemented the grass. I've lowered the density of the grass by a 3rd like ofpforum did, but I actually extended the distance its drawn from 20 meters to 150 meters. That way its not such an abrupt end and you get a more clear LOS. The good news is, if everyone has 6 GHZ computers and Geforce 10s in 3 years, we'll have grass coverage out to 500 meters, what we've all dreamed about.

BIS should be commended for making such scalable software. They are very forward thinking. Although it seems to have hurt them this time with all the critisim regarding performance.

dzieki, przyda sie! biggrin_o.gif chociaz sproboje tez opcji ze zmniejszeniem detali w configu wink_o.gif grejt uork panowie

I actually like the way BIS implemented the grass.  I've lowered the density of the grass by a 3rd like ofpforum did, but I actually extended the distance its drawn from 20 meters to 150 meters.  That way its not such an abrupt end and you get a more clear LOS.    The good news is, if everyone has 6 GHZ computers and Geforce 10s in 3 years, we'll have grass coverage out to 500 meters, what we've all dreamed about.

BIS should be commended for making such scalable software.  They are very forward thinking.  Although it seems to have hurt them this time with all the critisim regarding performance.

agreed.

Those saying it looks better now should admit that it really doesnt, it looks barren and flat just like OPF.

If this gives people some much needed extra fps then it can be seen as a good thing but on the other hand this is not how the game was meant to be played and now that someone figured this out it will be abused..

Can you see the irony? everyone praised those ugly grass field mods for OPF... BIS made something much better and now everyone hates it.

Next step, replace Sahrani models with OPF models because they were less system demanding too?

Those saying it looks better now should admit that it really doesnt, it looks barren and flat just like OPF.

If this gives people some much needed extra fps then it can be seen as a good thing but on the other hand this is not how the game was meant to be played and now that someone figured this out it will be abused..

Can you see the irony? everyone praised those ugly grass field mods for OPF... BIS made something much better and now everyone hates it.

Next step, replace Sahrani models with OPF models because they were less system demanding too?

No players dont not like it, its just some of use have lowe grade computer so arnt able to play well due to lag, with this we are able to play better.

Stop being so bossy people can do what they want with their games, if they wnated to change the models to OPF models then they can do just that.

Quote[/b] ] Can you see the irony? everyone praised those ugly grass field mods for OPF... BIS made something much better and now everyone hates it.

As far as i remember, i have seen none complaining because there is grass, but because :

-the game is not smooth enough for them to really enjoy gameplay, as it should be

-the grass offer no concealment at all as they disappear with distance

-the grass block player view and does not block AI view in same conditions

If BIS would find the magical solution to those 3 problems, i doubt you would see anyone complaining.

Oh and just for the record, in OFP the "ugly grass field" could be used for visual concealment (the genius masterpiece of OFP modding named "SLX") with the AI and so had a real gameplay function, while not cutting the framerate so much.

yeah grass is real pain on hilltops smile_o.gif ...

all You see is grass (while You standing) ...

all what enemy sees (far down under hill) is Your head ...

boom headshot rofl.gif

BIS should be commended for making such scalable software. They are very forward thinking. Although it seems to have hurt them this time with all the critisim regarding performance.

I personally wouldn't call ArmA scalable. There isn't much of a performance difference between low, normal and high (at least not in my experience) and it runs like crap on all kinds of hardware. I know BI was thinking ahead to more powerful hardware when they made this but what concerns me is that OFP ran like crap when it was released and still runs like crap 5 years later. I hope ArmA doesn't end up the same.

Having said all that, I still think the game has potential. I like it and hope to see it improved in the future.

As for the grass, it seems like they're damned either way. Nobody wants barren ground, but it's hard to come up with a decent grass system. It sucks in its current state so I'm glad to see people working on it in ANY way. At the very least the grass needs to be shortened.

Good job OFman, i like the Addon.

20-30 frames more is a good exchange for the useless grass. smile_o.gif

nice job

now i dont have to worry about going phone and seeing hardly anything and shooting randomly where the enemies were tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]There isn't much of a performance difference between low, normal and high (at least not in my experience)
There very well should be.. especially with postprocessing and shadows
Quote[/b] ]but it's hard to come up with a decent grass system.
Maybe the way rocks are placed in desert part of Island should be nice idea for grass too, only little bit more dense than that.