Sign in to follow this  
eJay

No-Grass islands released!

Arma-Zone.pl proudly presents new version of Rahmadi and Sahrani - no-grass islands. Now, if you had problems with fps, it's past... We tested on good, middle and low-end configs and we can only say - It's smoother, faster about 25-50%! Islands were modfied by OFman. He can also added ENG readme which include solution how transfer "Sahrani campaign" to no-grass Sahrani.

Download:

http://www.arma-zone.pl/modules....lid=116 (35 MB)

Grass                                      No-grass

ztrawawb8.th.jpgbeztrawyei0.th.jpg

ztrawa2sv4.th.jpgbeztrawy2iy9.th.jpg

ztrawa3yt3.th.jpgbeztrawy3jo0.th.jpg

Enjoy!

wow that is cool solution

does this effect your being spotted by the AI? or is the grass just cosmetic in Arma engine?

sorry to explain it, but: Why did i buy Arma? To play on an OFP style island?

I appreciate the work OFman did, but for me it's no island i like to play on

Its just cosmetic, there is no grass tall enough in ArmA to hide you.

IMO the grass is a fancy graphical feature that makes the game lag for people who doesnt have dual core computers, wich alot of people who might want to play arma still doesnt have, myself included.

@-SWAT-: If you dont want to use it, just dont download it!

Anyways,

Good one thumbs-up.gif

lol, ofp in a southern region. bravo!

im not a friend of this! if i havent got the hw to play arma, i couldnt play it. switch such features like grass off or on is a kind of cheating in my oppinion! you have a huge advantage without grass, but thats a feature of arma!

im waiting for the whining on the servers. same as in ofp. everybody works for its own on the game, without any brain.

i love my grass mad_o.gif

Since my soon-to-be squad is mostly going to play CoOp, and the AI see you through grass aswell as they do when you're not in the grass, this is very appriciated.

I'm probably not going to have a performanceissue, but I'm not sure about the rest of the squad.

Thanks again for this addon smile_o.gif

...If you dont want to use it, just dont download it!...

And for all, see this first, and then make a post/leave the topic.

Since the grass is only handycapping the human players due to missing view geometry, its not cheating against the AI - it's giving equal chances to player vs. AI wink_o.gif

Of course in MP during PvP, one with grass and one without would be cheating. But since you can see someone at distance because the grass is only created around yourself, it is also only giving fairness.

So: Nice to have it to reduce lag and giving equal chances to everyone! If you don't like it -> don't download it - simple, ey? biggrin_o.gif

i spoke about the mp-part of arma. i dont know, if thats a "modified file" and the nograss-user will automaticly be kicked. but if not, thats unfair to those users with the original feature, the grass. that was my main-point. there is no balancing more between us as humans, not the ki! sry for my 1st post, wasnt spezified enough, but the point is the same!

Thanks for this addon thumbs-up.gif . It really makes a difference for people with lower end computers.

Here are some numbers I got from quick testing (All facing 50 Azimut)

--------------------------------------------------

-Top of Mountain 402 (all on the dot next to the numbers) (N.S. grassy area with trees)

35 vs. 47

-275 (N.S. in forest)

25 vs. 29

-174 (S.S. Somato, some grass over looking the town)

24 vs. 25

-174 (Same position, but hovering in the MH-6)

19 vs. 19

-Street (S.S. Parasio all buildings with little grass)

19 vs. 20

As you can see the results are obvious. Since you fixed a huge performance drop for low end computers with grassy areas, hopefully someone will figure out a "fix" for forests (maybe no tree sway will help fps? since every tree moves) and towns/cities. Whats interesting is that just sitting in a chopper eats up about 10fps (quick estimate and quick test). I’ll check this again later, but I can’t believe that just sitting in the cockpit can eat up that many frames.

BTW, eJay, can you post your system specs.? (Mine is P4 2.8, 1 gig ram, AIWx800xt, audigy2)

@-SWAT-: If you dont want to use it, just dont download it!

Why does everybody post something like that when there is a negative post? crazy_o.gif

I know that i needn't download it. I just told my opinion to this addon, not less and not more.

And as i already said, i appreciate this work...

@-Swat-

People post "if you don't like, then don't download" when people post things that doesn't add anything to the thread. Saying "Why did i buy Arma? To play on an OFP style island? ..." doesn't add anything useful to the thread. And he didn't ask if people were going to use it or not.

If you would have said "Nice addon, this will surely make it better for people with slow CPUs etc. but I am not going to use it." is a different matter. This makes the creator feel good for making an addon, and will hopefully make him continue to work on Addons for ArmA. And you still get to point out that you are not going to use it, as you so obviously have to do. Or saying "Won't this be cheating?" is also adding to the thread since it brings up a subject that is important.

But just saying what you said is just... well, no one cares if you want don't want to play on the island unless you present the "No way!" in a more thoughtful manner. So instead of telling everyone that you don't want to use the island, just ignore the thread. But if you really really must let everyone know that you are not going to use the addon, try not to be so negative when you post.

That is why you get:

Quote[/b] ]If you dont want to use it, just dont download it!

I think this is a good solution for people with performance issues. And I don't see a problem in this being used on coop servers.

Nice and thanks... smile_o.gif

Yeah...it's a good idea for people with lower pc's...like me smile_o.gif

I will test it now. Thanks for the good work.

Imutep

Great idea & much appreciated. Well, i do have a dual core but i'd rather see my cpu resources put to good use (to have more details on buildings or vehicles for example). So THX!

Somebody mentioned 'cheating': now i dunno what this is all about - if everybody plays on a nograss island then all players share the same 'advantage' right?

Hell yeah !

Thanks mate !

This could give my poor performace a nice boost at least 'till I'll get some better rig - playing on AMD Athlon 2600+, GF FX 5700 and 1GB RAM is far from being good confused_o.gif .

I'm gonna try it later today and as I'm mostly coop player there shouldn't be the "cheating" problem.

Now just to fix the forests - that's a killer too smile_o.gif .

I must say this is great i can play with my ArmA setting to high now and keep at a constant 25fps.. with the grass i go to 10-15fps

btw since this is an addon and not a replacement people will have to convert missions to this island to play with no grass. there for player vs player wont work with 2 people having one island and the other 2 using the other.

@Pellejones

Thx for your informative statement. smile_o.gif I didn't mention to criticize this addon or the addon maker or anyone else.

For me it just would be a step back into the past, to play on an ofp-styled island.

There are very good advantages for low spec pc users that i wouldn´t deny. And i tested the island for myself, it's a nice work.

But as PaMe already said

Quote[/b] ]i love my grass

An idea though, m8, would be to add a tag to your addon so if someone else makes a pbo called saraNG (wich they shouldnt) it wont screw with your pbo. The end result would be that you should call the pbo and classes something like ejay_saraNG.pbo etc.

btw since this is an addon and not a replacement people will have to convert missions to this island to play with no grass. there for player vs player wont work with 2 people having one island and the other 2 using the other.

nice to hear that.

im not a scripter or a modder, thats why i used the point of possible performance cheating, sry about that. now i can say, thats a good reason to play arma on lower systems with better fps.

thx for this work, but my system can handle arma very well, with all implemeneted features like grass. i dont want to miss that, cause i like the way it works. about the ki-super-eyes i dont have to say anything else, but thats BIS's work, not our!

much fun with "shiny-ofp" wink_o.gif

Good job mate. I'll recommend these to some of my guys who are having FPS issues.

I get 50fps on full settings with grass (*dance*) but it's certainly good for folk who aren't stupid enough to waste money all on computer parts!

just tested it and i like the look much better, and of course the performance gain. finally i enjoy playing missions on north sahrani.

best addon so far!

So competitive gameplay is totally dead now, because everyone can cheat like hell with own weapon configs and grasless islands.

Thanks >_<

I think it gives players using the addon an unfair advantage over player who doesn't. It turns the player into an AI and gives him higher visibility, while prone.