Sign in to follow this  
philcommando

Mod for Arma of OFP1? (1 yr transition period)

Now that more or less most know what Arma has to offer and its modding reality, would you prefer modding still for ofp 1 or go for Arma?

Thousands of playerable addons had been made for ofp1 and not much lag. Unfortunately, Arma is still in the beginning stages, so would you as an addonmaker help out in the transition period of 1 year to produce addons for the well - loved ofp1?

My view is that there are still many limitations in ofp1 that can be broken if addonmakers make the effort and experimentation.;)

Please vote. Thanks.

Voted for good old OFP Modding, even not having yet tried out ArmA, but from what I've read in the forum it'll be a while until all the bugs will be ironed out so that ArmA achieves at least OFP 1.96 vanilla decency, and we just shouldn't let OFP die away...

xmas_o.gif

I say mod for arma, how is it going to get any better if there are no mods for it.

Flashpoint, until we see the goods on ArmA tools. wink_o.gif

BIS is often ahead of its time. History often repeats itself. Back when ofp1 was published, the common comp power was 400MMX processors. Playing was a drag.

But as time and processors gain speed, ofp1 was a playing breeze with improved graphics, addons and items ingame. Eye candy was never an issue with most as most were more concern with playerability.

So it will be the same for Arma. Probably with 6 gig processors and 3 gig ram.

My purpose for the poll therefore is:-

A. Help the community to be aware of modding preferences and also help take the heat off BIS so that they may have the time they need to iron out and roll out the modding tools.

B. Community addonmakers to keep the dream, hopes and playerability of ofp alive by continuing on with ofp1 during this transition period.

Thank you for your participation and may more vote their preferences.

Atm I said ofp1 purely cos ArmA lags a fair bit (not too badly, but just enough to annoy me). Also in the last few days I've had ofp inspiration! Very... very... very rare these days!!! crazy_o.gif

A lot of ppl still don't have ArmA yet, myself included so Ofp is the only option atm.

Can not wait to get into ArmA though from what I have seen in demo, which runs smooth as for me.

ArmA isn't crap.

However...it is very sad that given that it was based upon the excellent streamlined X-Box OFP engine, that it is now very bloated and CPU/GFX card intensive.

I like making huge missions....something I don't see likely to happen with ArmA even with a higher end PC.

I really hope that BIS will streamline their game. They are really just shooting themselves in the foot by leaving out a huge number of computer players that can't afford ArmA. The potential new audience to the game will try it....realize that the minimum specs for the game are TRULY minimum specs with terrible frame rates, and ArmA will quickly get a bad reputation. It doesn't help them that their marketing has not been very good. Only in the OFP community has the hype been really pumped up... but now that reality has hit, I think alot of us OFP players are a bit disillusioned seeing ArmA as an attempt by BIS to make OFP more like BF2.

But what do I know. I'm not a computer programmer.

I also know that sadly, the OFP community has been taken over by players coming from other FPS games who are DEMANDING better graphics. They fail to realize that FPS games with better graphics have WAY smaller maps and many less features. Hence the high recommended system requirements.

I'm personally fine with lower resolution gfx. I care more about having more realistic features rather then fancy graphics.

Thats what attracted a whole set of gamers to OFP in the first place because they couldn't get the level of realism OFP offers in other games.

But oh well... the HALO2/BF2 etc... crowd of players are the big spenders so $$$$ is what decides these things.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Team Leader of the Lost Brothers Mod: Our Mod is STAYING with OFP.

Good games never really die.

I continue to play with both Master of Orion 1 and Master of Orion 2 and appreciate them as i did the year of their release, i certainly launch them less often, but i play them on a regular basis.

And as i am not bored definitively with it, i just see no reason to uninstall OFP.

I'll keep modding for OFP until proper tools for ARMA come available. Personally I am not a big fan of all those retextures. They lack realism IMO.

It wasn't OFP that changed to make it run smoothly, it was people upgrading their PC. The only way those who can't run Arma as smoothly as they'd like will be able to, is to upgrade.

It wasn't OFP that changed to make it run smoothly, it was people upgrading their PC. The only way those who can't run Arma as smoothly as they'd like will be able to, is to upgrade.

exacly.. I am not able to play arma on this PC, the only place for me to play arma is on the PC of my brother.

Within 2 months I will also be upgrading my system to play it.

Its just like the transfer from VCR to DVD tounge2.gif

Something that popped up. Now Armed Assault is released would paid mods be allowed? It could mean a boost for the shrinking OFP modding community.

Yeah, I still have to upgrade my rig to standards that will run OFP as I expect it to run... crazy_o.gif

Definately OFP cause i personally think ArmA is total shit so any question it will be ofp anyday for me.

In all fairness to BIS, not many had tried Arma therefore it would be difficult to evalute and what criterias be used to evalute Arma.

As mentioned, history repeats itself. When ofp1 came out, many were turned off by the lag. Same with Arma now. But in time it will surely change, for Arma is a promise of a new dawn in virtual largescale domain, unlike other games where it is confined within small area or little environment.

With Arma, air, land and sea battles can be fought on the same map. I speak not on feelings, but on facts. Fact that BIS can produce ofp1 and will do a good job with Arma in time.I am no apologist for BIS, only an ordinary community member.

Large scale battles can still be fought now for those who might not be able to or want to upgrade. The MIGHTY OFP1 ! Soon, when prices of peripherals come down as it will, the migration to full Arma will occur. Victory to the masses who love large scale battles on the same map! notworthy.gif

Definitery OFP! notworthy.gif PLEASE keep up the great work for OFP. I have tried ArmA demo and... maybe it's difficult to evaluate, but i never experienced anything fabulous than the time when i played OFP demo... huh.gif

looks like I got used to OFP too much. tounge2.gif

I did not vote but boy have I thought on this.

I bought Arma and Arma needs addons desperately,it really has less content than vanilla OFP

The developers didn't release the tools yet for Arma ,maybe they are close to ready but if the tools aren't close to ready I don't think they should spend any more time on it from a business point of view.

Arma so far is just a game release, not sure of its future.The developers should release addon packs for money ,otherwise be working on Game2

Because my view of Arma is this...

It is basically OFP on steroids.The larger maps,nice graphics,join in progress,multiple turrents.

Basically toyed and tested the limits of OFP, to the point its somewhat buggy and outta control.Experimenting and using ideas they had and need to try anyways to help their development of Game2

Unless addons are released for Arma I can't see myself playing it online or single player for any more period of time than a normal game that you "Beat"

You know what I am saying?

Tools for OFP came out  quite a bit longer after OFP's release,publisher addons came out before the tools

(Red Hammer and such, my memory its been a long time)

All in all, we NEED addons for Arma, we need the larger maps and mainly the "join in progress"

From what I see there is now multiple turrents on vehicles but not specifically turrets on planes and you still can't walk on moving vehicles

The game engine still doesn't fit my needs and hurts my mojo and plans for my addons

We need Game2 by next Christmas, lol

edit: I voted Mod For Arma

What I think is helarious is how so many addon makers and mod teams have halted all releases for OFP and now say their projects will only be for ArmA. This is despite the fact that no word has been made as to when the development tools will be released for ArmA. They may have a very long wait to make stuff for ArmA.

They should be continuing development for OFP of their mods simply because if their teams are inactive, they'll tend to drift away unless they have everyone working strictly on models and textures. But I fail to see why, until tools for ArmA are released (which could be a year or longer from now) that they do not release stuff for OFP as everyone's going to be begging for OFP stuff to be converted to ArmA anyways.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The ADF Mod is still working on an OFP release atm. For the simple facts that:

1) ArmA isnt released worldwide yet (or in Aus which is where the ADF mod is :P)

2) The bulk of the community is still OFP

3) Lack of tools for ArmA at this time

Fair enough reasoning yer? biggrin_o.gif

ARMA is not shit, and saying so is a bit short sighted. It has not been out very long and just as in ofp patches will be released. I don't know what you guys are talking about with big battles, because I can have much bigger battles in ARMA than I can in ofp. I usually have battles with 300-500 men and zero lag. OFP may be better to mod now because the tools for it are already out there and it has been refined by numerous patches and mods. In time ARMA will be the same.