Sign in to follow this  
Carbine

Where to Start?

Ok well basically I've played the demo for Armed Assault and I'm really excited about making my own mods for it. Previously I've made maps etc... for Star Wars Battlefield 1 & 2 however I'm slightly stuck with where to start with ARMA. I'd like to make a start now if possible so that I'm slightly ahead when it's released in the uk. I've downloaded various modding tools from BI but I don't know how to use them to get what I want. Ultimately I want to be able to reskin units, create new objects (and new units) and maps and missions etc... obviously I should start out small and progress. Any changes I made would obviously need to be "checkable" is this something I could do only using the demo version or is it only possible with the full.

1. Basically how do I reskin items/units.

2. What software do I need to create objects

3. How do I get them in game

and any other basic stuff that you think I need to know to get started. Pointing me in the direction of a tutorial would be a great help, but any help at all to get me going would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Carb.

smile_o.gif

Since no ones replied yet, to reskin the units people are changing the textures, not actually retexturing as such, just making the soldier load new textures then saving it as a different addon - because afaik no ones been able to open up any arma addons in the official ofp addon modding tool 02 - also known as oxygen.

You will need a program such as texview, which can be downloaded from flashpoint1985.com under editing. Or a program called paatool. These tools read and export images only, you cannot design within them.

To create objects your going to have to wait till BIS release oxygen2 or someone else makes a program that you can use to build a model or import one into arma format.

I don't think you'll have much luck on the mission or addon front until you have a full version of the game and also making new things before the uk release is very limiting as we havent got the tools yet...

Soon as an addon is made you will compile it with a config file into a pbo file.

everyones pretty much in the dark yet, you'll just have to BIS release there modding software.

I've just broke the ice on these subjects, if you search the forum you'll see hundreds of topics and information about the programs ive mentioned, heres a list that you may want to lookup:

Oxygen

Buldozer

paatool

texview

Makepbo

Unpbo

ofpaddonhelper

Welcome aboard, this will get you started. Tutorials

If you have problems setting O2 up pm me or anyone on nzxshadows.

Thanks guys. I'm working through the brsseb tutorials and I'm needing to get o2 light working. I'm getting a "bad serial number given in setup" error which stops Buldozer from loading completely. I don't own a copy of OFP, only the ARMA demo, is this the reason for the error, and if this is the case is there a "work around" to get the veiwer working.

You'll need a copy of OFP (full copy).