Sign in to follow this  
Jack-UK

Hardware Issues: Tips/Tricks/Solutions

[imghttp://img166.imageshack.us/img166/904/scr317291ne8.png[/img]>100kb

How is it that with my setup I get piss poor FPS? My friend has worse setup than me yet he gets higher FPS at an even HIGHER resolution because he has a 22" that supports 1600x1024.

I'll get everywhere from 3-170 FPS, but with view distance set to 1200, everything normal I'll get 70 FPS on the airport on rahmadi and he says he's getting about 150..WTF?!!?

I play online only, mainly on EVO servers with the computer in my sig and still find frame rates dropping to the low 20s occasionally, which is pretty annoying.

However, the most annoying thing I find is what I call "texture lag" where textures take a few seconds to load. This is especially noticeable on destroyed vehicles, where the damage skin takes a few seconds to load over the normal skin. However, it also happens on walls and floors, for instance when respawning at base after a long time in the field.

Other problems include vehicle shapes and textures not loading fully straight away. Wheels appear square to start and textures very flat and detail less before progressively becoming better. This also happens when running ArmedA Mark (or whatever it is called).

I am not sure if some of these problems are server side but I definitely know for them to be happening in ArmedA Mark it is my end. I have done everything I can to try to prevent this and my computer should be powerful enough for this not to happen. Does anyone have any tips?

However, the most annoying thing I find is what I call "texture lag" where textures take a few seconds to load. This is especially noticeable on destroyed vehicles, where the damage skin takes a few seconds to load over the normal skin. However, it also happens on walls and floors, for instance when respawning at base after a long time in the field.

Other problems include vehicle shapes and textures not loading fully straight away. Wheels appear square to start and textures very flat and detail less before progressively becoming better. This also happens when running ArmedA Mark (or whatever it is called).

I had been getting this as well with all settings on normal and found increasing textures to high solved the problem without significant FPS decrease.

Hi @all!

Problem: I've 35/70 FPS in North Sahrani/Porto and 75/100 in Rahmadi if I put only a team of one/four soldiers. But if I put on the map two squads the framerate slow down to 20/22.

Every mission I play, even the less complicated, the game run at max 10/15 FPS.

Any idea about that or would it be considered as "normal"?

My rig specs:

Athlon FX64 X2 4200

2Gig Ram

Nvidia 8800GTX 768M

Mb ASUS MN2-SLI Deluxe

LCD Asus 19"

My ArmA configuration:

Terrain detail Normal

Objects detail Normal

Texture detail Predefined

Shader detail Low

Postprocess Low

Shadows detail High

AA Low

AF High

Blood High

VD 1200

Resolution 1280x1024

My AA version+addons:

patch 1.09b

DurgFix+LowPlants

NWD

ArmaEffects

DMSmokeEffects

VFEquipement&Smokeshell

Truemods

CSM

JonnyMarines

McNoolsDesertVehicles Replacement.

Thanks a lot and kind regards (excuse my english)

It`s an miracle to me, how i`m able to play Evolution SP with my AthlonXP 3200+ @2200 Mhz (not overclocked).

When you play SP Missions or Campaigns, shutdown Firewall and AV aps, and everything that`s not needed to run ArmA. wink_o.gif

Edit:

Most important:

Use Patch 1.09 Beta.

I have no idea, as don´t measure the fps.

But it runs fluid ~2000 meters viewdistance. biggrin_o.gif

Use system and ArmA settings can be found here, 4th post from top.

btw. 15fps is not fluid, not by far.

What I was trying to say was that as long as my FPS stayed stable at 15FPS it all looked pretty smooth, I now have a system which lets me play with 40FPS and also stays stable around that, I almost do not see any difference.

Yeah, but 15 is really a bit slow.

As long ArmA runs without "hickups" i really don`t care the fps.

Patch 1.09 gave an performance-boost, now it runs much better than before. smile_o.gif

@HGuderian

With your system-spec, this framedrop isn't normal at all. A 8800GTX, imho, should be good for a minimum of 40fps wherever you go. Check this:

- big list of AddOns, the prob could be one of them. Test a vanilla ArmA 1.09 first, use default setting "normal"

- search forum for nvidia-drivers, i've read a lot about driver issues with the 8800s

- AMD dual-core patch installed ?

- test a synthetic benchmark like 3DMark06

@all

It's a fact that a fluid motion starts around 25 fps (like on TV). So this is usually the minimum you try to achieve. The human eye can't really see a difference on higher fps-rates. And more than 50 fps is, afaik, only important for Pro-Gamers doing any lighning moves while fighting...

Thanks to all...Tonight I'll try without any addons and then adding them to test if there be a limit to the amount of them.

I use the XAM mod sometimes, that uses tons of addons, and that works too for Evo SP without problems.

I've noticed that all very little object (electrics cables for example) don't display very well (a sort of mix of black & white color), few others elements near the roads seems to display like that from mid/far distance view

8800GTX + 169.21 WHQL for Windows XP 32 bits

ArmA 1.09b

I don't know if it was like this before (haven't noticed it before but maybe i can't see them as my graphics settings were lower than the one i can put with 1.09)

Oh i forgot, that appears when i put AA 4x (very high in the game video menu).

I don't know if it's related to nVidia/ATI that don't allow to display properly far small objects ?

Screenshots :

Eletric cable artefact from far 1 Eletric cable artefact from far 2 Artefact gone (zoomed in near them)

It's not a critical problem for sure, but when you have a nice viewdistance it looks like a ugly artefact in your panorama tounge2.gif

I'm having a strange bug since yesterday

I'm messing around with the ATi tray tool but I can not seem to find what is causing this. I did revert everything as far as I know but I keep getting this bug

armaexe1sr0.th.jpg

And when I turn off AA in AmA settings I do not even get the normal looking parts.

my system:

Windows XP Home edition

Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz

ATi Radeon HD 2900 XT

ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard

2Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM GEiL 4-4-4-12

ArmA 1.08 is used here but it also happens in 1.09b

Vanilla arma is doing this as well as with every mod I use

Anyone an idea what causes this?

anyone? confused_o.gif

@mods: sorry for spam but I would really like some help and if that needs one bump I hope you understand

First of all, i would recommend to uninstall ATT and say "yes" to uninstall all custom settings. If it's still present, uninstall your Catalyst, use "drivercleaner" in safemode and install the latest Catalyst-driver. That's what i'd do now...

Don't know, had something similar, little bugs in ATT. In my case, the prog always forced to run a game-profile with 3d-test-settings that i didn't choose as default. All i could do was reinstall it.

Hi guys:

I was hoping to get some help with this problem. Whenever i play arma (evolution) I find that whenever i zoom in on vehicles they (wheels) look all blocky or walls lack features for a few seconds.  Sometimes even this happens without zooming if theres a few vehicles in the area manuvering. theres also lag. This totally ruins the immersion. What am I doing wrong?

here are my specs:

AMD Atholon 64x2

Core processor 4400+

2.21 GHz, 3.25GB of RAM

GeForce 8800 GTS 169.21forceware driver

DirectX 9.0C

Windows XP

Arma beta 1.09

Shortcut to arma:"C:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\beta\arma.exe" -nosplash -mod=beta -mod=@SIX_WeaponPack

Im guessing its a memory issue is there anyway i can get arma to load up with more memory?

-Please help!

Hi,

if i understand you right, this is the LOD-Problem. Search for topic "LOD". Afaik there's still no fix for it.

Many thanks, hit-man.

After re-searching the LOD bug issue, i have (finally) found the solution:

armasucks.jpg

Thanks, Bohemia "Interactive".

Defrag your hard-drive Regular defragging is very useful, if your files are all over your hard-drive it takes them longer to be streamed, this can cause slow downs. Good idea to do this weekly. Ultimate Defrag is a useful program if you wish to put ArmA to the OUTSIDE of the hard drive, allowing it to be accessed faster.. especially useful on large/full hard drives.

Can you give information how to do this?

Defrag your hard-drive Regular defragging is very useful, if your files are all over your hard-drive it takes them longer to be streamed, this can cause slow downs. Good idea to do this weekly. Ultimate Defrag is a useful program if you wish to put ArmA to the OUTSIDE of the hard drive, allowing it to be accessed faster.. especially useful on large/full hard drives.

Can you give information how to do this?

Hi,

Sorry i dont visit the forums as much as i used to. But its simple to use the Disk Defragmenter built into windows:

Start -> Programs -> Applications -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter.

You should be able to work it out from there smile_o.gif Just choose your hard drive and click Defrag, it takes a LONG time by the way, so it might be worth doing overnight or some other time where you have several hours to spare. If you want more elaborate Defragmenters, look on Google for something such as Ultimate Defrag or other related programs and see, but the basic defragmenter you get with Windows does the job in most cases.

Hope it helps,

xmas_o.gif