Sign in to follow this  
Jack-UK

Hardware Issues: Tips/Tricks/Solutions

For WinXP32 SP2 and all dual cores with powermanagement, get MS' hotfix KB896256 and install it (this will be included in a future servicepack).

Then do the changes to the registry on this page.

I dont know about AMD's cpus but Intel's C2D cpus benefit from this fix, especially the adding of the pmtimer.

Sweet thanks for the dual core tweaks, both added biggrin_o.gif

I appear to have exploded my PSU as it wasnt enough to run my X1950 PRO lol... No ArmA for me sad_o.gif I need a new PSU and i hope that i havent fried my GFX card otherwise i gotta RMA it sad_o.gif

In the short time in which it was running i got to see the real beauty of ArmA though =) Wow biggrin_o.gif

EDIT: Thanks for the sticky mods, keep them suggestions coming =D

thanks for your advice!  smile_o.gif  now working! yay.gif lod bias was 13+ ( messed off with nvidia hardpage)

At last I get it working.

Solution for crash to desktop problems!!!

I had strange problem. When I played a while, every 2D-graphics get very long loading time. When I go to map, gear change screen, death screen, loading screens or anywhere was 2D-graphics, graphics went big pixels and ArmA slowered totally. Also very often models and textures went to very low detail. Sometimes helped long wait, sometimes not. Very often ArmA also crashed to desktop. This situation was on both demo and full version. Full version was much worse.

I dropped texture detail from very high to normal and problem was gone. No crashes anymore.

I have not tested high texture detail yet.

So if you have similar problems or crashes to desktop, try this. It helped me.

My hardware is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

ASRock 775VSTA-DUAL

1024 DDR RAM @ 400Mhz dual channel

Asus X1950 Pro 256 PCI-E

Windows XP SP2

ATI catalyst 7.1

DirectX 9.0c December

Just on the offside, I've just been fiddling with ArmedA's settings and shortcut a bit, and found out that the maxmem command is mostly causing more trouble than its worth - if I ever run the game with the maxmem=1536 command (I have 2GB RAM) I get constant crashes if texture quality is above low.

My compy:

3.99GHz P4

2GB DDRII @ ~587MHz

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

ASUS 8800GTX

Just on the offside, I've just been fiddling with ArmedA's settings and shortcut a bit, and found out that the maxmem command is mostly causing more trouble than its worth - if I ever run the game with the maxmem=1536 command (I have 2GB RAM) I get constant crashes if texture quality is above low.

My compy:

3.99GHz P4

2GB DDRII @ ~587MHz

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

ASUS 8800GTX

Strange.. im running it at 768 (1gb RAM here) and i get no crashes.. i have my texture detail on Normal :S

Strange... Have you tried lowering to 1024 mb?

(And are you running Vista?)

There is a very good performance boosting program that flight sim 2004 users use called FSAUTOSTART. You very easily set it up to shut down all the programs running in the background of your computer,  allowing your processor to concentrate fully on the program you are using. Its very easy to set up and gives info on what each program does and even recommends which ones to stop. The flight simmers have used it for years, and with amazing results due to Flight sim 2004 and Fsx being frame rate killers, the program can allow setting to be nearly maxed out.

Just search for the program on google  wink_o.gif

There is a very good performance boosting program that flight sim 2004 users use called FSAUTOSTART. You very easily set it up to shut down all the programs running in the background of your computer,  allowing your processor to concentrate fully on the program you are using. Its very easy to set up and gives info on what each program does and even recommends which ones to stop. The flight simmers have used it for years, and with amazing results due to Flight sim 2004 and Fsx being frame rate killers, the program can allow setting to be nearly maxed out.

Just search for the program on google  wink_o.gif

Cheers mate, added to the list, i'll give it a try sometime thumbs-up.gif

Keep em coming

I have a question. I have an Amd athlon64 single core 3500 and i was wondering, if i got a dual core 3800 would i see any Fps increase.

Quote[/b] ]here is a very good performance boosting program that flight sim 2004 users use called FSAUTOSTART. You very easily set it up to shut down all the programs running in the background of your computer, allowing your processor to concentrate fully on the program you are using. Its very easy to set up and gives info on what each program does and even recommends which ones to stop. The flight simmers have used it for years, and with amazing results due to Flight sim 2004 and Fsx being frame rate killers, the program can allow setting to be nearly maxed out.

Or Google 'enditall' for another similar powerful application killing program. Although no longer officially available free of charge, there are plenty of legal sites that it can be found.

I have a question. I have an Amd athlon64 single core 3500 and i was wondering, if i got a dual core 3800 would i see any Fps increase.

Well it might give you a small FPS increase.. but it depends on your spec.. if you got a high end GFX card and a low end CPU.. increasing your CPU will give you a fairly large FPS boost as you will be feeding the GFX card more...

If its a mediocre card + a high CPU dont expect MUCH of an FPS increase.

Best FPS increase you can get seems to be from a better graphics card.

Well it might give you a small FPS increase.. but it depends on your spec.. if you got a high end GFX card and a low end CPU.. increasing your CPU will give you a fairly large FPS boost as you will be feeding the GFX card more...

If its a mediocre card + a high CPU dont expect MUCH of an FPS increase.

Best FPS increase you can get seems to be from a better graphics card.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Geforce 7800 GT, so do yo think i should get a better processer.

well your card is pretty good i think...

What is the clock speed of the AMD 3500 CPU? (should tell you on properties of My Computer)

Great guide!

I'm running on a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB of RAM along with the Radeon X1300. I got not-so-great frame rates.

However, now that I'm using System Booster and Overclocking with the Radeon tool, I can run the game on Medium settings which has even better frame rates than it did when I ran the game on the lowest settings without System booster and the ATI tool.

I'll be doing that benchmark thing now.

I also noticed disabling AA makes a huge difference. As soon as I did that it felt like I was playing a 60 FPS game.

Wow that high?

I have a 3800+ (2.4ghz clockspeed I think) and 1gb RAM with a 7800GT(512mb) graphics card and I average about 25-30fps on high settings, but the thing is, when I lower my settings, I don't see that much of an improvement, not an improvement worth the loss of quality confused_o.gif

Wow that high?

I have a 3800+ (2.4ghz clockspeed I think) and 1gb RAM with a 7800GT(512mb) graphics card and I average about 25-30fps on high settings, but the thing is, when I lower my settings, I don't see that much of an improvement, not an improvement worth the loss of quality  confused_o.gif

i have a similar spec.. i get pretty much exactly the same.. i just put all settings on max except Texture Detail (it overloads my virtual memory :\ if on high or v high...) And i get pretty much no difference between v-low v-high :S its wierd...

And wow Zorbtek, thats some nice tweaking! Hope for those with lower specs still? =)

My PC

Windows XP MCE

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4gz

1GB DDR2 667

X1950 512 MB Video Card

250 GB SATA Had drive

Intel SigmaTel High Defenition Audio

--------------------------------

I had the German Downloaded Version and burned into a DVD disk.

after burning it, I tried to install, after installation, I tried to start the game and here what I get

" This application has failed to start because D3DX9_30.DDLL was not found.Re-installing the application may fix this" any help?

Hi ive just got the UK release of Arma and im getting these weird graphical issues. I have the latest ati drivers, turned everything on full/ lowest and normal graphical settings and i still get it. Ive followed this guide, and tried forcing 24bit Z buffering aswell as triple buffering but nothing seems to work. Ive even tried overclocking my gfx card but no use. What does seem to work (if onoly for a short while, maybe 10 mins) is if I alt tab to my desktop and come back in i dont experience it for a short while. Any ideas on how to fix this will be most appreciated.

Im running a P4 2.8 Ghz with 1024Mb of RAM with a radeon 9800

Here is a link to what happens:

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/knockedeye/

Many thanks

KnockedEye

Hmm i dont think this problem had a solution :S it was raised before by loads of people...

I think some solved it by rolling back their drivers... try using the one which came with ur GFX card or something...

if not.. then im afraid i cant help you mate sad_o.gif

check your grafik card temperature, (overckloking maybe)?