or this person was doing this

this way people at least can be on the look out for these

players and warn them when they come on their server

and if they mess up wham ban them

In honesty it is really hard to get banned from frag haus

next to impossible almost

but when you do get banned that is it your done

Well just a thought

IMO these forums are not the place for such matters, they should be dealt with privately by the Server admins and the individuals.

Moving to MP smile.gif

HAHAHA you have to forgive Morgan he does get excited ......and Like him I am a FragHaus Admin and am sick of this cheating *unlimited ammo and nonkillable mod's* and kids crap !

I think we should build a list like that. But, we should be careful of the ID#'s that folks post. For all we know it could be from the wrong type of person.

Yup exactly, what if a server decides to ban someone because they're all racist and the guy's black? (extreme example I know).........but that's the kind of problem that could possibly happen, we really can't take the word of other people unless they're people we know very very well.

OK, let me toss something out here for you to comment on.

The idea of a forum to maintain a ban list is a useful one, but ultimately impractical because it requires a lot of manual work for the server admins.

A better way to handle this would be to have an automated tool that maintains the BAN.TXT file, and gets its updates on a schedule from a hierarchy of parent servers. This way if the OFP community needs to ban a jerk, he would promptly be banned from all servers using the tool. If cheats and trainers ever take off on OFP, this would hopefully help minimize the damage.

I have the technical expertise and time to create such a tool. What I would need from you guys is feedback on exactly what features would be needed.

I'm going to put together a document with more details of what I envision, and post it here within the next 24 hours or so. In the meantime, think about this, and feel free to voice your opinion.

i agree 2 many times has some bad a$$ clan stopped us from playing because they wouldn't say that they were ready and when we kiked 1 of them by the time that we had gotten rid of most of them the 1st person would have got back in etc.

Mister Frag...sounds like a good idea...however, it would have to be closely administered in order to ensure that only those players who are really deserving of the ban would be placed on the list...something which might be a decent idea would be to have a proposed banned player submitted to the updater program BEFORE he is placed on the list...then if he is submitted a certain number of times (or a certain % of users (server admins) submit the same player), he is placed on the actual ban list. I know that this sort of makes it a little more slow to get rid of the unwanted individuals, however, it would help to ensure that only those most deserving of losing playing privlage on multiple servers were actually placed on the ban.txt file. In addition, there would have to be a way to ensure that just anyone could not fire up OFP, run the proposed program and ban people for frivilous reasons...if any ofp player at large has the power to add to global ban lists, it might get out of hand. Some sort of registration may have to be in place as well as someone to administer the registered users,etc. Sounds like a good idea, but also sounds like a big project in order to make sure it is properly used. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it.

Hmmm... this idea would work if you had a Global AND Local Ban list.

ie. globalban.txt and localban.txt

The globalban.txt gets updated by a newtork of servers and the localban.txt was done by the residing admins on each server. This way you have 2 types of bans... it is one thing to lose ability to play on one server and a completely different thing to lose rights around the world smile.gif

HEY! This is an AWESOME IDEA...

I had some of the same thoughts as Suchey and BigQEd, and I'm still working on the document I promised. I'll try to post it this evening after I get home.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (daniel barnett @ Feb. 09 2002,02:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yea but who wud b willing 2 do it confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Are you talking about writing the program? I would.

I have the expertise and the time. I spent several years working on network administration tools for Hewlett-Packard's OpenView division, and we had an architecture that replicated information across a world-wide hierarchy of servers. It's quite do-able...

Mister Frag... if you want to you can get with me. We may actually be able to get something like this going. It would be a huge thing for the OFP communty.

Our Servers could easily host this service/traffic.

We have both Linux and 2000 servers available. So the main DB could be done on either platform.

Wouldnt it be good to in conjunction to this "tool" have a website up where it is explained why they are banned?

And there the banned could state a defence if they think that they are banned on wrong reasons.

Certainly would be a nice idea to have a website, and place for the banned to state their case...in regard to this...everyone who is ever banned is going to say they didnt do it...and there no real way to prove one way or the other...this is why I propose the system I stated earlier in this thread where a proposed banned player is submitted to the "AutoBan" utility...once the person has been submitted X number of times (or X % of time), his name goes into the ban list...of course, the tols use would have to be monitored as you wouldnt want a group of less than savory players joining together and banning players for less than fair reasons. Everything brought up in this thread raises good questions...Im sure theres a solution as to how it can be worked out, however...whatever is decided, it will most certainly not be an easy endeavor.

Sounds good, and in the mean time the servers them selves can ban players locally so they get rid of the problem and then submit the PLayer ID/Name to the board and if the guy acts up on other servers he gets banned on all

makes sense

I'll hold off banning for now, we've had no problems, but then have only been up for a week and I can have 16 OC3s any time I want running tounge.gif

as of right now we are just posting the bans we have for people that use the ammo cheat on are forums their open for anyone to view which is a nice thing. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'll hold off banning for now, we've had no problems, but then have only been up for a week and I can have 16 OC3s any time I want running tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Mal... I highly doubt you have 16 OC3's... or the ability to have that many. Please I urge you to stop this BS trying to make your server/s something they are not.

And if you do who is the Upstream Providers and what equipment (routers and such) are you utilizing to port in all these OC3's?

Come on guy... at FragHaus/FIRSTNet we have a very large Network which costs hundreds of thousands to operate a month (we have 25,000+ customers). To run 16 OC'3 would cost upwards of $400,000 a month (and you have game servers that pay you zilch)! I KNOW better man...

(sorry all.. I know this is off topic by man Mal really gets me with his little inserts that are totally false)