Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

High-resolution map of Sahrani

Very well done, Mondkalb. smile_o.gif

Now I just need a A1 plotter.

...or u goto a printshop - they print it for u for 15-20€

........and next time use png with 8 bit instead of crappy jpg quality - it will be around the same size but without quaility loss like i see it in this jpg.

Thanks for all your comments, at first I thought my work is totally useless and someone else done it before...

Did you know?

This map is made out of 104 Pieces. Every image has a scale of 851x768 px and was focussed on one grid (eg. A1, C6, D8 and so on...). It took me more than one and a half hour to match these small images together.

But obviously I've survived this.

Quote[/b] ]........and next time use png with 8 bit instead of crappy jpg quality - it will be around the same size but without quaility loss like i see it in this jpg.

I've tried that, PNG results in a 30MB Map in same quality, the small image-pieces are .jpg format, they brought this average quality. But I think other qualities don't matter in any case.

@HelpingHand;

Still got your textures. confused_o.gif

Awesome work Mondkalb.

Damn, I've just been doing the exact same thing!

Instead of 100 screenshots (10x10), I've done 400 (20x20) screenshots, which means including the smaller grids (with double digits grid ref's. eg: JD84) to a resolution of 17520 x 17520.

Small snag though, because the resolution is so high, I've only managed to create 3 huge portions so far:

> 17520 x 8760 (20x10)+ (most of north island)

> 17520 x 7008 (20x8)+ (most of south island)

> 17520 x 1752 (20x2) (southern water)

As BMP's = 1.14gb

As JPG's = 102mb at 100% (or about 19mb at 65%)

No program is capable of stitching them together to this resolution so far. If anyone can advise me, please PM me. The problem appears to be the resolution, not the image sizes. Tried both JPG & BMP stitching/panaramic/joiner programs. If not, I may simply resort to 2 highly detailed North & South island maps without all the ocean.

I also wanted to do a less detailed one with satallite images (i.e. Editor Textures turned on). Are you planning on doing that too Mondkalb? The publicly released Sahrani map isn't detailed enough.

Awesome work Mondkalb.

Instead of 100 screenshots (10x10), I've done 400 (20x20) screenshots, which means including the smaller grids (with double digits grid ref's. eg: JD84) to a resolution of 17520 x 17520.

Small snag though, because the resolution is so high, I've only managed to create 3 huge portions so far:

As BMP's = 1.14gb

No program is capable of stitching them together to this resolution so far. If anyone can advise me, please PM me. The problem appears to be the resolution, not the image sizes. Tried both JPG & BMP stitching/panaramic/joiner programs. If not, I may simply resort to 2 highly detailed North & South island maps without all the ocean.

I also wanted to do a less detailed one with satallite images (i.e. Editor Textures turned on). Are you planning on doing that too Mondkalb? The publicly released Sahrani map isn't detailed enough.

Well, just get TYAN THUNDER K8QSD PRO, it supports 4 AMD Opteron and 64GB mem. And add in a PNY Quadro 5500, just to be sure the comp will handle the huge pic.

Now load it in Photoshop smile_o.gif

tounge2.gif

I'd go to a printshop, get the pic in three parts, and get it printed.

But what you really could do is load each seperate part, mark out the island, and stitch that into a new document. Resize this to a size that's not too small, but not too big.

And when you've done so with all three pics, you should be able to stitch them together in one, depending on your computer.

JW

smile_o.gif

Awesome work Mondkalb.

As BMP's = 1.14gb

the trick is in vectorizing the image (use a loseless input of course).

Hi All

Nice map but it needs some grid ref overlays.

If you are are going to print it out at a high resolution using a print shop I sugest making a version with a grid layer on it.

We could do with program that alows a seperate map window with this in it and with grid overlays as per the ArmA set up.

Better still would be an option to put the ArmA map in a seperate window when ArmA is running windowed (Hint to BIS)

Kind Regards Walker

Well, you can easily vectorize in Illustrator CS2 with livetrace.

I can do it for you if you want, I have Illustrator CS2

There's a way to get a vector image straight from ArmA, using the left-shift + minus keys and typing TOPOGRAPHY. I managed to get a file from Rahmadi only, for some reason I couldn't get it to work on Sahrani. It might have been that my hd was full.

The exported files are *very* detailed and *very* large (Rahmadi weighed in at around 30 MB). You could use Illustrator to lose some of the details and make it smaller.

Thanks for these advices, seems to me that soon a "ArmA-RealMappack" will be released. That "TOPOGRAPHY" thingie was my first idea when I started to make that map, but I was too stupid to get that managed in a proper way.

Anyway, this map is especially good for those, who don't own ArmA yet and just played the Demo. They can see whats in, in Arma.

And yes, more detail on this giant map would reach borders of humanity, remember:

Quote[/b] ]6923 x 5867 px is:

244.2 x 207.0 cm; 96.2 x 81.5 inches

And I doubt that you really need to see each tree with its own unique direction, exact height over water in 20 Decimal places, distance to Northpole with a GoogleEarthLink and the Checksum of the ObjectID.

But whats the slogan of USA?

Bigger, Better, Burgerking?

Have a nice day.

This is awesome mate.

I've added this to my fotki. FOTKI

Not sure if this can be done anywhere, But in the US you can order this image from fotki. I've ordered and A1 for $12 and an A3 for $2.50 You can order whatever size you want in glossy or matte. Warning that there's a $6.50 del charge. think it's because of the tube. Fotki is pretty awesome quality though. I've ordered A1 High res photo's from my DSLR and they have been very high quality for the price they charge.

Thanks again for the image mate...

Dr. Eyeball and Mondkalb

i guess soon we get layered version for NASA WorldWind or (similar to Google Maps) or Celestia (which supports dynamic layers too)

samething came up in my mind that which size do you think is good enought when doing output, since i am working in a photo express i was thinking about size between 12R, 15R and 12X18, anyone have an idea?

Awesome work Mondkalb.

Nice work all!

I would be especially interrested in getting hold of those screenshots in which you can see the 4 digit gridreference (eg. FH56).

I'm not looking to stich them togheter for a huge map on the wall. But can use each part to print according to were the opeartion I'm participating in takes place.

Any chance of someone hosting those screenshots you took? And did you name them with any type of rough grid refference, so that one can actually "easily" find the right one?

Yes, very good. It must have taken quite a while to get that

together.

Of course, if "505" are paying attention to the thread about

the desired contents of their special edition then a proper

1:10000 topographic map and romer will be included (yeah,

right, sure it will...  whistle.gif  wink_o.gif  )

if BIS/IG/505 etc paying attention then for sure they already prepare goodies like posters and mouse pads with Sahrani in great detail smile_o.gif etc

Quote[/b] ]Awesome work Mondkalb.

Big LOL on you morrons...  rofl.gif

shift + "-" topography

and the game will create vector image, which can be resized from 0.0000000001cm till 10000x10000 meters....in any vector images editing program.

same stuff like in OFP...  whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hold the left SHIFT key and press the MINUS ("-") key on your keyboard's numeric keypad. Once you have done so, type in one of the following codes to activate the respective cheat:

topography - (From OFP: Resistance version 1.75 and above, you must play with a TERRAIN DETAIL setting of VERY LOW for this to work). This isn't a cheat but you might appreciate the results. Type during gameplay or while in the mission editor. This will create a file in your hard drive's root directory, named island_name.emf, containing a vector representation of the map of the island on which you are currently playing or editing. Note: these files are very large.

check a few post above b4 you trying to call someone "morron" confused_o.gif

we've been play these game for 5 or more years, do you think we are that stupid to left such things untried?

in ofp the Topography function was useless, the map doesnt look like the ingame map at all!

I dont have ArmA yet, so cant say its the same now.

But awesome work mondkalb, now I can print it at my university for about 8 euro, and look at it while some fluid flows out of my mouth...