Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

Please let us lock our vehicles!!!

I hoped and prayed for this to be included in ARMA, but sadly it aint (not the Demo anyway). I used to get SO MAD banghead.gif playing OPF when you park your tank in the perfect spot to dominate the enemy base when suddenly...oh my god we're moving!!!!

Yes thats right some total chimp-featured numtard has just climbed in and is driving you right in front of the T80 lurking behind the next hill.... HALT! HALT! HALT!

For HEAVEN'S SAKE why cant a player simply LOCK THE DOORS of his vehicle so his teammates cant get in? Don't M1 Abrams come with central locking? biggrin_o.gif

Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee include this in a later patch  thumbs-up.gif

Mandrake

You cannot play ArmA with people you don't know. It should have come with this printed on the box.

Unpassworded servers are only useful for making sure your game works online, nothing more. Any other attempt is futile.

Locking assumes that it's possible that stupid people will not ruin your game if you add a feature. Despite the problems with adding this feature (who gets the keys, how would people use this feature to be a smacktard and not prevent it, etc.), stupid people will always ruin your day.

No need for a patch, it can easily be scripted in by the mission creator (well at least in the full game, since the demo has no editor and only plays the 3 demo missions). I especially hate to see things hard coded that don't need to be, because it limits potiential. I mean what if someone required that the vehicles be constantly accessable for their mission to work? Not only that, but doing it by script allows the feature to be customized however the creator wants it. Also it seems a bit arcadish to me, not realistic at all, so it shouldn't be a default thing.

Quote[/b] ]Yes thats right some total chimp-featured numtard has just climbed in and is driving you right in front of the T80 lurking behind the next hill....

Haha .. I so know what you mean.

very easy to do in the mission editor no need for it to be coded in. Of course private or addon servers filter the crap quite nicely

<s>You cannot play ArmA with people you don't know. It should have come with this printed on the box.</s>

This game requires you to be not a complete dumbass. tounge2.gif

I remember a CTI for OFP let you lock your vehicles. Mission editors can include this feature. If not then the guys running the server could add it in.

It's not possible in the demo though, the demo will not launch if you modify the files.

Ahhh.... playing ArmA without team/squad leaders is total nonsense...

What if you lose the keys? The whole team is looking for the keys of your only tank when enemies are approaching? You would have to break in quickly or run for your life!

rofl.gif

But seriously - yeah that's the problem with public servers, if you don't have a squad leader who will keep people organized then you see the results very quickly... I can only see this getting worse because of join-in-progress. I guess it's what you ask for when you go into a random public server - I learnt this the hard way, too. About being able to lock your vehicle - there is a great risk that the people who go into your vehicle will then lock it so you can't get in anymore. That's not what you are after I am sure. That has to be left for the mission designer, to allow locking vehicles or not.

Cheers,

Baddo.

Point taken: I guess you should really play OPF/ARMA on passworded servers with people you know -- but in reality this isnt always easy.

I will investigate joining a clan for ARMA, but even so clan matches are infrequent so public servers remain the best place to practice... just a shame they're full of unreasonable people (kids).

Mandrake

Not all public servers are bad.. you can get some good games every now and then... and if u cant find a clan.. find a server which is usually played in by less childish players =)

Find a server where the admin knows the password and is not voted in, is usually good. He knows how to run a public server smile_o.gif

It clearly doesn't, based on the people I've played with.

Ah, but then they turned it into some dumbass game right? wink_o.gif

How about maybe just tank crewman can operate a tank? Since now, everyone, even a regular infantry soldier, can operate a battle tank. Not very realistic, and if it limits to crewman, it might cut down on this problem.

Hi

Sorry but I think that would be very unrealistic if only a tank crew could use a tank. There are people in the militaries who are only driving cars so according to your rule you couldn't drive a car if you are not specifically assigned that job.

And for sure even if you are not a car driver by job specification, you can do it at least somehow. Why it wouldn't apply for tanks too? It might be hard to drive a tank without training but simply locking people without proper training out of tanks is far from realistic in my opinion.

I agree that from a coop mission point-of-view, if you play in a clan then it can make sense that your clan only has certain people do certain jobs but that's a different matter and will be enforced by the clan rules, no need for the game to enforce such rule.

Cheers,

Baddo.

Regular infantry are not trained in driving tanks! Tanks require tons of training to operate them safely and correctly. A normal infantry guy wouldn't know how to set distances for the main gun, or load it. A Hummer is basically a car, not a complex battle tank. So anyone could drive a Hummer. Same with pilots. Only pilots should be able to fly helicopters/jets, and normal infantry shouldn't.

As a result of this, certain roles should be locked out of certain vehicles, to make it realistic. Look at the training for a M1A1 tank in REAL LIFE, see how tough it is. And yes, people are trained in operating just this ONE tank only! That is their job.

Yes, it's realistic.

Yeah I got what you meant smile_o.gif my friend

but, if we go that route then...

...at least in Finnish Defence Forces (FDF) you are not allowed to drive any motorized vehicle without military training for it. Possessing a military driver's license is required even to drive a UAZ and it is only given after training for those who need it in their military job, not for everyone. And that rule is there for a reason, even if you have a civilian driver's license it won't give you the right to drive any of the motorized vehicles in the military and it is best kept that way I can tell you.

I was thinking that if we start to require that the character must have training for the specific vehicle, like in real armed forces, then you are not allowed to drive a car in the game either if your character is not a driver by training.

I see what your point is, I understand that tanks are not the same as cars and trucks, but I think it goes too restrictive if we do not allow non-trained people to even touch the controls of a tank (because that's totally unrealistic). What if we look it like this: a trained tank crew member can really make the enemies cry, be a mission-critical thing, but a regular soldier is not able to do anything miraculeous inside a tank because he doesn't know well what he's doing (so there's the lack of training which you mention).

Best Regards,

Baddo.

if we do not allow non-trained people to even touch the controls of a tank (because that's totally unrealistic).

Why is it "unrealistic" to prohibit untrained persons from

operating tanks!? This just does not happen in the real

world. Infantrymen aren't even allowed to wash

them, let alone operate them.

I just think it makes the game very "gamey", almost BF2ish, where anyone can hop into a tank, and go on a rampage. Limiting the roles to certain vehicles will make more strategy, instead of everyone teamkilling for the tank or the helicopter. Do you really think a regular infantry can operate the tank turret, fire, and load? I don't think so. However, in this game you can. I know this game doesn't accurately portray the normal occurrences in a M1A1 tank. Steel Beasts actually requires a bit more knowledge to actually accomplish something. I just think it should be restricted for realism sake, gameplay sake, even if it's very simple to operate the tank in the game.

Allowing people to lock their vehicles or have dedicated professions would probably end up being just as annoying as when some jerk comes steal your hummer.

If you have vehicle-teamkillers it's time to find a proper server.

You cannot play ArmA with people you don't know. It should have come with this printed on the box.

Best thing I've read in a long time rofl.gif

I made my own OFP-mod for my friends and myself. There I restricted planes and choppers to pilots only and tanks to crews. Easy to implement.

You can also do this in your own missions without modding the game.

I think this is fun because then its fun to be a pilot/crew and your friends must keep you alive to have transport smile_o.gif