Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

Please fix the AI

Well i havent tested Ai much.. but the common sense thing to do would be for the AI to follow roads and paths as much as possible so long as they are in a safe/aware mode and havent been engaged...

When attacked they should stray from the paths (obviously)

well, needless to say but we shouldn't expect "too much" about AI (I know you won't), as Suma said this at other topic...

Quote[/b] ]I am sorry if you expected something different. (Note: Some more tuning was and is being done for the patch).

and even on the latest interview they didn't say anything specific about AI improvements (Suma even compared improvements to the ArmAs AI with an "old" OFP AI). so probably we won't get anything like ppl in this thread have talked. "improved" is a magic word. I guess there's not so much that BI could do with AI improvements anymore. It's not about how many time they have. Probably it's a game engine's limitation. I just hope this is NOT some kind of their "direction" or "policy".

Im waiting until the next patch, then im trying to find a nice mix of DAC & Grouplink AI (incl. all the support/paratroop etc..) features and new technology by creating a hybrid between individual fsms and a master script that acts as a sort of headquarters giving out commands to squads depending on the battle situation...

I hope to make a proper announcement about this around the release of the upcoming patch smile_o.gif

This can be used together with a dynamic island populator for civilians and military units (together with DAC by Silola) aswell as putting snipers in towers and on and in buildings using 'bubble' technology to only keep the surroundings of the players 'alive' while still leaving options for leaving other (battle) areas 'alive'.

And another module would probably be dynamic campaign/mission generator, all MP compatible...

But this is all in dev status smile_o.gif

The individual modules should be individually usable (to pimp up existing missions where possible) aswell as next to each other as a large package of tools for mission makers to make missions with smile_o.gif

Most of it is script/parameter based even for choosing populated positions and objective areas while a mission maker has to do very little inside the editor.

It should be highly configurable but also with enough options for dynamics and randomness (is that a real word :P).

The whole lot allows for extensive debugging or observation due to many debug options available to the editor, even in mp.

One thing might make CQB much more better for AI. If AI could be defined to ignore "combat" as it is in aware stance and spots enemy. Something like "this enablecombat false". In aware they scan around, move slowly and take quite steep turns in corner of buildings. But when "combat" kicks in, they start to go prone then sprint and go prone again, they waste more time in moving than in spotting enemies and trying to shoot them.

Or then their movement in streets of towns/cities could be made to be like inside of buildings (as AI doesn't rush, but slowly walks forward). Maybe by editor placed trigger or sumthing?

One intresting point-of-view is "vee" formation as it usually forces group members to check behind building and walls as they try to maintain that too-big-for-towns formation in frontside of leader. It causes some stupidness expacely in "combat", as they try to do bounding overwatch. Group can get stucked expacely in tight alleys.

Another big problem with the AI in CQB is their dogged determination to stay in formation - Even when under fire. Instead of trying to stay in an exact line, and take 1 step forward when the commander takes 1 step forward, they should act as individuals with the commander just there as a guide, telling them what to do but not how to do it. Just my $0.02.

Another big problem with the AI in CQB is their dogged determination to stay in formation - Even when under fire. Instead of trying to stay in an exact line, and take 1 step forward when the commander takes 1 step forward, they should act as individuals with the commander just there as a guide, telling them what to do but not how to do it. Just my $0.02.
Quote[/b] ]One thing might make CQB much more better for AI. If AI could be defined to ignore "combat" as it is in aware stance and spots enemy. Something like "this enablecombat false". In aware they scan around, move slowly and take quite steep turns in corner of buildings. But when "combat" kicks in, they start to go prone then sprint and go prone again, they waste more time in moving than in spotting enemies and trying to shoot them.

Well, thats more or less the reason why BI cant please anyone, one person wants to stay in aware mode so everyone sticks to eachother, while the other thinks that even in combat mode they stick to eachother too much.. huh.gif

Ive been thinking about a way to make them stay less in formation and use cover instead by changing the formation.fsm, however after a few hours of trial and error there seems to be only a bug left in the last line of the crap that i changed and ive no idea how to get rid of it (yeah, i hate scripting in any form and i suck at it wink_o.gif ) tounge2.gif

Latinman - I tested your mission examples. I am not sure whether this has been pointed out already (I lost track after the 13th page).

What I noticed from these examples is that the AI engine only seems consider objects either once they moved (a meter is enough) or another -already known object- gets very close by so they get spotted.

To stick to your example mission. Soldier 1 doesn't see Soldier 2. But if you have Soldier 1 move away even further then Soldier 2 will immediately see Soldier 2 and vice versa.

Movement seems to be the key to awareness levels managed by the AI engine. This would also explain why the suicide runner is still running towards the enemy even though he gets shot at. He simply doesn't know of his opponent until he gets really close because his opponent gets prone but never really moves.

It's different if you join the group of either of the Soldiers. You can notice that you youself will announce the presence of the enemy soldier even when he stands further away. For some reason you as a player immediately become part of the "collective consicience" whereas your buddy next to you is not - because he didn't move yet and potential objects he should know about didn't either. So for some reason you as a player know about objects invisble to all others.

Hence my assumption that something needs to be improved in regards to the AI init process. If the AI soldiers rely on the "closestObject" function to count potential opponents then the AI engine must assure that this function knows about all present objects in a given vicinity right after a mission starts - and not only after each object moved or is almost staring in their face.

My 2 cents,

Victor

Can anybody owning v1.04 confirm whether the moving vs. steady LOS AI issue has been resolved ?

Test case is provided in my original (First) message.

Thank you.

Ive done some editing to the AI, i think its alot better than what it was before. I did a quick test mission where i was a sniper and i was about 600 meters away, i killed one AI Soldier and the rest started firing in my direction.

Improved AI

Quote[/b] ]Changelog:

AI now engages at longer distances (Actual Fire Engagement)

AI can identifi targets better and at better distance

Just copy the bin.pbo to your dta folder.. smile_o.gif

The "LOS" issue has been confirmed and has been assigned to Suma.

I would like to thank all people here that helped to better delineate the bug. I hope that BIS will fix it soon.

BTS Bug ID: 2007

I had one last night, took a Blackhawk with 2 men, one of them sat at the port gun (manning the starboard gun was not an option so the other guy just came along for the ride).

Anyway, I flew over an enemy base and the gunner spotted an enemy and fired, killing him. The platoon of soldiers, minus one guy, started moving around, lying down, etc. My gunner ... well, just sat there.

Dave