Sign in to follow this  
Jack-UK

'RPG' Elements

Hey, i remember reading about this in an ArmA interview a looong time ago.. and BIS said they would like to implement some sort of RPG elements into their games... like increasing stats such as stamina, for run speed and being able to gain things as you progress.. forming like a player profile with unlockables or something...

I think it will be cool... What do you guys think?

Yeah this would really make it next gen. most other military games have better weapons as you progress through them, but bettering your stats as you play as well would really make it next gen

Would be cool if you get promotions for succesfully completing missions without friendly casualties etc. and become squad leader.

I'd be most interested in seeing mental development. like getting used to the bullets flying by. stress reactions make one shaky and stuff tounge2.gif

I'd love to see this getting strechted out to having to stay in a hospital for a while when serious injured.

And the promotional thing offcourse.

I don't know if I'd like this to become something MMO like or not but when done well there really is no need for real wars anymore. *there's no real need allready, but still*

From what I've read and heard about the Game2 idea's it will become huge and the best thing coming to any platform for any genre smile_o.gif

And how about the physical side when you see lot's of your buddies die on the field, could have some strange affects to your character.

Stress and promotions would be totally cool. it would be cool if everything evolved - the landscape, you, your team mates, the enemy, the whole war. but i think that maybe next next-generation. sorta like oblivion meets flashpoint resistance

I don't think that that's what they meant when they said 'role playing elements.' I think what they said was that they were considering a gameplay element where your actions and your expressed attitudes have a pervasive effect on the gameworld. This would force the user to make decisions in character, in so far as it would be a player trying to elicit a desired outcome. I don't know if they were ever considering keeping physical or other statistics that would grow as you 'level up'.

I don't think that that's what they meant when they said 'role playing elements.'  I think what they said was that they were considering a gameplay element where your actions and your expressed attitudes have a pervasive effect on the gameworld.  This would force the user to make decisions in character, in so far as it would be a player trying to elicit a desired outcome.  I don't know if they were ever considering keeping physical or other statistics that would grow as you 'level up'.

I confirm this, and i hope that they wont consider to add 'stats' in, it would ruin the experience for me.

(woohoo, i killed 5 soldiers, now i can be hit more often! )

instead of a stat up, what about tiny tweaks - better aiming if u use the sights more often, small increases in distances you can run and how fast u can run?

Guest Ti0n3r
Stress and promotions would be totally cool. it would be cool if everything evolved - the landscape, you, your team mates, the enemy, the whole war. but i think that maybe next next-generation. sorta like oblivion meets flashpoint resistance

I agree. And since it's called the Next Generation game I belive, or at least hope we'll see something like that.

If GAME2 will be as Oblivion [freedom!!, variable equipment (head-dress, vest, pockets on MOLE, boots,...) , modify weapons] - simply as normal RPG game

I will love GAME2

instead of a stat up, what about tiny tweaks - better aiming if u use the sights more often, small increases in distances you can run and how fast u can run?

Interesting idea, If used correctly in a campaign it could add quite a lot of depth.

And could also go hand in hand with with adding a weapon skill to AI that affects thier ability to hit, instead of the current system which only affects thier ability to engage.

In fact the whole idea of skills might be worth exploring as they can add interesting layers to atmosphere and mission tactics.

"leveling up" is kind of 'old hat'. It would be better to say, have 'marksmanship' increase related to a percentage of actual hits maybe.

And though I agree that a traditional stat based system would be a bad thing for G2 I would enjoy seing a system where you can create characters, tweaking stuff like stature. Where big guys make easy targets, get more hits, little guys dont. And skills can be predefined by choice of service/career.

It doesn't need to be much maybe 3 body types (6 if they remember the girls) and a bunch of skills (pistol, rifleman, hvy weapons, light veh, heavy veh, tracked veh, helo, aircraft, medic, mechanic).

Lack of skill should never be able to stop you from trying but should make tasks more difficult. ie if you choose a pilot, aircraft skill will be kind of meaningless coz as a pilot it wouldn't be effected, it would be entirely in the players hands but if the same character jumped into a tank he may find controlls jerky when accelerating and sluggish under brakes.

And this would contribute to the game as a sim as well. I don't think there too many people out there who can be a perfect marks man, be a TOP GUN pilot and, inuitively know the controls of every vehicle on the field, as well as patch up his mates and successfully 'MacGiver' his bullet riddled jeep.

The recent remark about mcgyvering something just let loose several hopes for Game 2. I whole heartedly agree to ending traditional stats but allowing certain traits to be increased like the marksmanship, or stamina when running, hell they can even have some kind of monetary system in place since you will be interacting with the local population. Bribe the local police to give information about certain activities going on.

The whole idea they described about being able to finally interact with the locals to get information is fascinating. I hope they create a sort of loyalty or occupation versus liberation type game play. Let' say for example you went into a city trying to fight the supposed bad guys but you do it by bringing half the city down with them the locals are going to be realistically pissed. You just destroyed their favorite strip bar who wouldn't be? With this they can possibly create a sort of cause and effect mechanic meaning that if you do stupid things and cause collateral damage then the people may not want you there any more. This sort of mechanic can be seen today in the form of insurgency. Now after your attempt to save the day and drive out the bad guy you only pissed off the people you tried to save and now you're fighting the bad guys and the locals. I believe however that to truly be able to pull this off there would have to be some kind of measure to allow you to make amends if you wish to keep the trust of those you are trying to save. This may end up being a fight for the people rather than a fight for certain towns, which I think is usually the case anyway. In war you don't fight for cities you fight for the trust or loyalty of the people.

This sort of trust versus loyalty mechanic can be two different strategies for both sides. Trust can be a sort of cooperative compassionate sided approach and loyalty can be a sort of direct or more destructive approach allowing you to focus on the destruction of the enemy and suppressing those who stand in your way. And how you treat the people will change how the people see you and treat you. For example in the trust approach they could include an option to help rebuild a city or give aid where there is aid needed. This type of mechanic can involve a resource or economic management system. Another advantage may be in the form of military aid from these locals. So lets say you find yourself on the receiving end of a counter attack by the enemy the locals may be more inclined to fight along side you essentially adding to your defense. While the destructive approach means shooting those who protest your actions and because of this show of force the people may be less inclined to openly fight back. If this were integrated I believe civilian AI will have to be upgraded significantly allowing the civilians to realistically respond to certain actions like protesting after certain approaches or after so much collateral damage is made and then dispersing or as a city cowering underneath the foot of your fighting force. Though because of this may be less inclined to aid you in your fight if there was a counter attack and may even, during this counter attack finally decide to fight back making your life worse. This may help out as well meaning that if you win the hearts of the people you may actually grow in power. I would think that maybe this sort of increase in power may give some kind of benefit maybe a higher reinforcement rate, if this is added, or maybe it can allow you to have a more efficient fighting force. And if you find yourself losing the people's trust you find yourself losing power and ultimately losing the game because no one wants you.

IMO, as a soldier, I think it would be really cool if sleep and food were added to the equation. We've heard this will be sort of an ultimate soldier sim, so why not? It could possible even offer an excuse for retrying after a death ("it was all a dream").

For example, if you are trapped on the frontlines for awhile with supply cutoff, your stamina will decrease due to hunger (but it should be made so you can't die of hunger, just penalities will be applied)

if they do decide to use an RPG-like stat system i hope it will only be in the main campaign/in community made missions that are set to use it. if they included full stat tracking and "levelling up" it would end up being like the usual run and gun shooter where everyone is trying to increase their own stats independently. even worse, the players skill would become irrelevant.

as for the other RPG like elements i think they would be good(e.g. the interaction).

Quote[/b] ]IMO, as a soldier, I think it would be really cool if sleep and food were added to the equation. We've heard this will be sort of an ultimate soldier sim, so why not? It could possible even offer an excuse for retrying after a death ("it was all a dream").

im sure this could be done for ARMA somehow (for specific missions).

I agree with the food and water thing, but for that to work effectively, you'd need some sort of time compression happening (ie, a soldier will not need to eat and drink every twenty minutes). Therefore, in the interests of time compression, I think you should have some sort of option to time compress about 6 hours, maybe near a bed or home base or something.

I disagree with all kinds of "RPG" elements.

I don't want ArmA2 to be a game where skill and tactics don't decide the outcome of a fight. If you want silly RPG elements go play some generic MMO or pokeymans.

I don't think they mean Magic Potions, Summoning Materia and Battle XP tounge2.gifrofl.gif

More like a more interactive world where you can interact with characters and get a more intimate feeling for the game, personally I think that's great (if that's the case that is..).

I don't think they mean Magic Potions, Summoning Materia and Battle XP tounge2.gifrofl.gif

More like a more interactive world where you can interact with characters and get a more intimate feeling for the game, personally I think that's great (if that's the case that is..).

Well I'm against the weapon unlock and player stats junk.

I don't want to have to play for 10 hours to get my accuracy up to 50 or whatever.

I don't want to have to play for 10 hours to get my accuracy up to 50 or whatever.

Oh I do more than agree on that! Unlock system is just silly, also it makes Multiplayer a stat-whore fest, Bf2 anyone confused_o.gif

No I'd like to see a more interactive game where your actions in battle might affect future events( like a fellow soldier betrays you because you didn't blah blah etc..), become friends with the natives, learn rumors which might affect the campaign, stuff like that.

Oh I do more than agree on that! Unlock system is just silly, also it makes Multiplayer a stat-whore fest, Bf2 anyone confused_o.gif

No I'd like to see a more interactive game where your actions in battle might affect future events( like a fellow soldier betrays you because you didn't blah blah etc..), become friends with the natives, learn rumors which might affect the campaign, stuff like that.

Yeah, a "Life of a soldier" campaign would be cool.

But stats and stuff are for people who are either to stupid or skill-less to play well.

ABSOLUTLEY NOT! if i wanted that kind of thing i would Go play me some battlefield 2.