Sign in to follow this  
vilas

Vilas' addons

Looking good Vilas, but the flag on the officer's right sleeve in that last shot should be reversed.

It sure will be fixed when the release date comes smile_o.gif

As the man behind the new textures I'd like to show you some close-up pics of the details implemented in the new 80's look of the GIs.

cwrr9.jpg

cw1oo4.jpg

cw3po8.jpg

It's a rather beta WIP, textures will eventually get a bit darker

Those look excellent. I was gonna mention darker textures but I see you mentioned it. For a WIP they really do look great.

Thank you Manzilla;

the pics show only the base woodland texture with ripstop applied; attempting to give it a slight 'worn' look by adding details - similar to the ones already present on the helmet - please do note that it still uses default bis normalmaps; after applyiyng details to the vest appropriate normals should be added as well

stay tuned 4 updates smile_o.gif

any plans to retexture your aug steyr's they are a little see through and have no shadows would be nice to have an up to date version

Is there anyway to retexture the vest so that it looks more like a PASGT vest? Or is it supposed to look more like the 70's/early 80's Vietnam era ballistic nylon vests?

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I'm not an expert of the uniforms of the time or anything..but why is the rank of the US soldiers on their sleeves like that? Assuming that the uniform is just a standard BDU, then the rank would just be on the collars. I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure.

That's a good point. Only USAF had ranks on the upper part of their sleeves unless things were different in the 80's.  But I don't remember seeing US Army soldiers back then with ranks on their sleeves except on their Class A uniforms.

If the collar is not showing (where rank is typically placed on the BDU's), rank is put on the front of the helmet and sometimes pinned onto the center of PASGT vest velcro panel in the middle (although I don't remember if that was proper wearing of rank according to regulations). You would later see rank worn in that manner on the Gortex jackets.

At any rate, aside from that and the vest, the textures look extremely good, especially the more finished parts like the helmet textures (which look photorealistic).  Good job overall.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Okay, I just wanted some form of confirmation on the BDUs. BDUs were still the standard uniform when I got in and I didn't know if that was a change they did (I didn't think it was). The only BDUs I saw in the 80's were my parents, but they were Air Force, so their rank was on the sleeve. I didn't believe the Army kept the rank on the sleeve after the switch from the fatigues.

*edit*

The grid pattern is pretty good on the uniforms, but I think that should only apply to the uniform itself, the shirt and the pants, not the armor and kevlar cover. Those grids were just to signify that the uniform was of the Summer variety and not the Winter uniform. Upon entry, soldiers were issued 2 sets of Summer uniforms and 2 sets of Winter uniforms, the difference in appearance being the grids for Summer and the unbroken pattern for Winters. I was told, upon issue, that the grids help the uniform air out a little bit. I couldn't say if that's true or not, but I always wore Summers regardless.

Hmm, I always thought the grid pattern was rip-stop, or is that just British DPMs

Exellent textures on the US units, if Vilas is up for it i would like to make some Soviet counterparts.

That is if Topas doesnt already works on them smile_o.gif

Hi all!

Thanks for valuable input and criticism! Will continue accordingly smile_o.gif

Soviets are in the plans (as is the rest f the cwc pack) - time is the only enemy here... icon_rolleyes.gif

Hmm, I always thought the grid pattern was rip-stop, or is that just British DPMs

It might be a form of rip-stop as the summer BDU's are made of much lighter material. The winter BDU's were made of much thicker material that may not have required the rip-stop feature. As Clavicula_nox4817 mentioned earlier, most soldiers prefered the summer BDU's overall as they are just more comfortable. Plus during the winter you'd be wearing thermal underwear, gortex, etc... anyways. The only nicer thing about the winter BDU's were that they were a bit more durable and just lasted longer.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

They could be, I honestly don't know. I remember when the ACUs were first being issued that one of the talking points was the "rip stop" in the uniform, but if it's there I haven't seen much evidence. I wore a brand new set on a jump once and the seat tore out immediately after PLFing..so so much for rip stop.

Is there anyway to retexture the vest so that it looks more like a PASGT vest?

hmmm... let me think... icon_rolleyes.gif

biggrin_o.gif YES! biggrin_o.gif

cw1qv3.jpg

cw2ur1.jpg

+ removed the ripstop as suggested

still to do; leveling and matching of colours and removing the ranks from the sleeves wink_o.gif

WoW!

But if i should do normnals for these guys ( as vilas asked me ) i really need some PSDs otherwise this will be lot harder.

Thx; Would need some constructive comments on the backside though - my only reference was this pic here:

pagstde2.th.jpg

Shadow; Just uploaded the files to ftp; Vilas will forward them to you. (hope the PSDs are not to 'messy' - everyone has his/hers own methods and I'm not sure if they'll be good for working on normals)

If i can remove the camo then all is ok.

I think noones PSDs are more messy than mine, full of old crap and tiny thing si just wanted to try tounge2.gif

hm.. I see..

removing the camo may be a bit problematic.. so I will prepare a new PSD with same shaped layers but based on a single color uniform

hey vilas, any plans to import or make a surface to air unit to go with your cold war add ons? How about some Soviet aircraft?

Wow! Much nicer! Great job simulating the PASGT vest... although the back is actually more accurate then the front. The shoulder pads on the front should be a bit more rounded and not so sharp-edged. Also on the front, what looks like a flap below the shoulder pads (not the fasteners) is just a part of the cloth sowed onto the vest and is not a flap so it should not have shadows around it.

But... with all that said, even if you were to keep it as is, it is a 100% improvement over what you had before and I'm quite happy with it as I know you did alot of work to get it this far. Your artistic talent is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Also the back looks fairly close by the way. Not bad at all.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

v1ez2.jpg

Did a little rework of thE front - thanks for comments and advice Miles Teg  smile_o.gif

+ a closeup on the texture file itself

v3ns3.th.jpg