Sign in to follow this  
seafire6

Booleans or not ?

I'm currently in the process of getting familiar with 3d Max 8 with the goal of creating add-on structures for AA. I'm mostly interested in buildings/world enviroment. My question is re; booleans and whether to use them in the construction process. Do boolean models create more difficulty when importing them into O2 ?

wrong froum

should go into the oxygen forum as you need to import the model in that prog first.

anyway.

if u use boolean operations on models in max, maya or what ever and export it it will be fine.

just remeber to delete the stencil objects

personally i never use booleans.... they have problems that come with them... unless you know how to go into the subobject and remove unwanted vertexs....different from what Nephlim is talking about. Its way to complicated to explain here....

I think yes at the end of the day it should import correctly.... but your model at this point is not well made.... and will have more faces than it needs... you also will later have problems when manipulating the vertexs..... hmmm... If you want PM me and I can mabey explain it better through PM or MSN or SKYPE..

Im making buildings as well and for example will not make a door or window with a boolean.... makes for trouble when unwrapping it...

I use booleans in max they work fine but you have to clean up your mesh after you have used them or as djfrogstar said your mesh will end up having more faces than you should have.

i agree with djfrogstar. booleans in theory are very handy, and they can be in reality for certain kind of primitives, but for the most situations u will have a very "dirty" mesh. u will notice it when unwraping for sure.

u say that ur working on structures (buildings i presume)... where r u planing to (ab)use booleans? for windows/doors? that kind of work is always better with subdividing polys then extrude (in or out).

the only situation i totally avoid booleans (ofp/arma related), is the creation of the geometry (colision)model. having polys created with booleans, will not guarantee the mesh convexity. then the model wont behave correctly ingame, with the famous ofp breaktrough/ overlap colisions...

If you wanna be a good modeler, learn to plan and develop good topology rather than use booleans which are basically useless. This tool is rather to be avoided for reasons I am not willing to write about now.

Thank you all for the replies. As you can tell I'm really just beginning to learn the ins and outs of modelling for AA. I've invested in several books but none have been specific for buildings, particularly 'low poly' techniques. Does anyone know of a building tutorial for this need, I've googled and found several that had no regard for poly count etc.

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/modeling/car_modeling_max -car modelling,not recommended until you become more familiar.

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/3DS-MAX/1 -various tutorials.

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutoria....- hot keys

http://tutorialoutpost.com/tutorials/3d-studio-max/modeling/4 - more tuts,no its not photoshop.

http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/fiat500/fiat500_m03.asp - another car tutorial,highly recommended,as you will learn quite a few things from this one.

Boolean all you want. i dont see a problem? as long as you know how to clean the mesh up you will be fine.

I mean is target welding that hard? smile_o.gif

you just need to plan booleans carefully..

eg if you subtract geometry from a cube (lets say for a building) in one rush. there shouldnt be any "dirty things"

but if you do it in several steps it might happen that surfaces collide and you´ll get ugly things.

but this mainly happens with stuck together geometry.

if your mesh has a good flow booleans wont cause you any trouble at all.

specially for things like buildings these are quite good.

new vertices and polys will be generated anyway.

just a hint.

before importing the boolean treated mesh triangulate it.

oxygen has some problems with importing polys with more than 4 vertices and upon oxygens optimizing process they will be triangulated in an arkward way.

Boolean all you want. i dont see a problem? as long as you know how to clean the mesh up you will be fine.

I mean is target welding that hard?  smile_o.gif

Well its quite simple....

you can either write a letter with your fingers or with your toes. Either way will work but one will be a mess and take alot longer than needed.

as long as you know how to clean your mesh... icon_rolleyes.gif

Until you have alot of experience there is alot of work in cleaning up the mesh. If you dont have a strong grasp of the program it could prove to be very frustrating....

at the end of the day it all depends on what your making...

you can either write a letter with your fingers or with your toes. Either way will work but one will be a mess and take alot longer than needed.

Until you have alot of experience there is alot of work in cleaning up the mesh. If you dont have a strong grasp of the program it could prove to be very frustrating....

Reread what nephilim said. if you know what your doing or have some one that knows how helping you. you will be fine.

Sounds like you need some more practice. wink_o.gif

I mean is target welding that hard?  smile_o.gif

Reread what nephilim said. if you know what your doing or have some one that knows how helping you. you will be fine.

Sounds like you need some more practice.  wink_o.gif

lol! your too much sniper skull

btw we are talking about 3dsmax not modo....

you should reread the first post.

If you have been using 3dsmax as long as I have you would know that your words carry no weight. 3dsmax has always had problems with booleans... Even if you have your flow of polys set up it will do them incorrectly. Makes you wonder why there are so many extra boolean plugins which are made just for 3dsmax.

The original post is from someone who is not using 3dsmax for along time. So you may know everything in the world that there is to know about boolean operations and how to clean them up, but this person doesnt.

I guess its true about what they say....

Sounds like you need some more practice. wink_o.gif

lol! your too much sniper skull

btw we are talking about 3dsmax not modo....

you should reread the first post.

If you have been using 3dsmax as long as I have you would know that your words carry no weight. 3dsmax has always had problems with booleans... Even if you have your flow of polys set up it will do them incorrectly. Makes you wonder why there are so many extra boolean plugins which are made just for 3dsmax.

The original post is from someone who is not using 3dsmax for along time. So you may know everything in the world that there is to know about boolean operations and how to clean them up, but this person doesnt.

I guess its true about what they say....

I dont see whats so funny? and who said a word about modo?

Why do all the "modding" topics get turned into a pissing contest? icon_rolleyes.gif

seafire6,

If you would like me to make a small boolean video tutorial. just send me a PM. i got some stuff you like. smile_o.gif