Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

FFUR 2007

Hey guys, after just giving the mod a quick check in the editor at release, I finally got some time to try out FFUR at length, but I seem to have run into a problem and would like to know if anyone else encountered it.  Well basically I was trying to play some single player missions and in the middle of play my game would lock up and make a really loud screeching sound.  The only way out of the lock up is to restart my PC.  This happened on "Heavy Metal" the one time I tried it and all three times I tried playing "Commander."  It usually took a good 5 or 6 minutes to happen.  The only mod that I am running at the moment is FFUR no extra packs or SLX.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Playing FFUR 2007 last night Tbird I found some small issues that can be easily fixed:

Issue 1: The radar for the Shilka doesn't appear at the start of any mission, it only appears when you click radar on, on the action menu.

Solution 1: An easy solution to the Shilka radar problem is to edit the hiddenselections of the Shilka to make the radar appear and just remove the radar on/off actions. The radar will remain stationary but it will always be visible.

Issue 2: Its the Shilka again, The cannon fire sound is not the best, I'm sure its the sound for the GAU-8 cannon for an A-10.

Solution 2: The cannon sound from the original Spetz Natz Mod/Orcs release would be a better choice, sounds a bit more authentic.

Issue 3: @SamotH: After installing your new extra pack, I found that some of the foilage had no textures, all I got was big white boxes where the plants where meant to be.

Solution 3: Recheck the texture paths of the addons and try to see which path is incorrect.

As I said before, my pack doesn't uses foilage replacements, and I never had a problem with it. Your problem must be somewhere else. Why dont you try reinstalling everithing, and installing the pack right after installing ffur.

Great finally got it working, now how would I port my old campaign progress into this version? I believe my saves are located in the document settings folder for another version that I have installed on my system on another drive.

I believe you just go into users/yourname/saved/campaigns and copy and paste - as well as your initial campaign folder.

Quote[/b] ]Well basically I was trying to play some single player missions and in the middle of play my game would lock up and make a really loud screeching sound. The only way out of the lock up is to restart my PC. This happened on "Heavy Metal" the one time I tried it and all three times I tried playing "Commander." It usually took a good 5 or 6 minutes to happen. The only mod that I am running at the moment is FFUR no extra packs or SLX. I would appreciate any suggestions.

This is probably a hardware issue, maybe update your sound card's driver and give it a try again, if you do not know its model then download and install "AIDA32", it could be a useful tool in such situations.

Quote[/b] ]An easy solution to the Shilka radar problem is to edit the hiddenselections of the Shilka to make the radar appear and just remove the radar on/off actions. The radar will remain stationary but it will always be visible.

Thanks for the tips, better to follow the hiddenselections way imo.

Quote[/b] ]Its the Shilka again, The cannon fire sound is not the best, I'm sure its the sound for the GAU-8 cannon for an A-10.

Well, that is wanted because the last patch size would have been almost 10 times larger because we would have been forced to implement a new ZSU-23 firing sound to the "ffur_sound.pbo" file, which isn't that small.

Moreover, you rarely notice a big difference between large caliber cannons sounds in real life (According to the amount of movies available on the web), the cannons SFX more or less all sound similar but this would be fixed with the incoming FFUR/SLX Mod (which would get its own MOD folder as previously stated).

Concerning the upcoming FFUR/SLX Mod currently under development, I would like to inform you that some SLX features have been taken out to mainly save BIS default missions and storylines.

However, disabling these features does not affect the immersion feeling and you might even slightly gain in terms of performance.

- Disabled the suppressive fire feature : Even being very interesting in-game, this feature isn't optimized at 100% and might be very annoying in some situations:

->> Friendly blind grenades which tend to cause some heavy casualties in your own squad.

->> Useless ammo use, your AI teammates tend to spend all of their magazines on 1 supposed enemy position at the start of the mission, which might not be helpful to accomplish the mission, especially when the support is lacking.

- Disabled the surrendering and fleeing features: Both of these features have been disabled in the aim to avoid breaking BIS missions because the AI tend to flee and surrender quite easily and that might make an end to the mission without being a real end because the objectives wouldn't be accomplished as wanted in the Briefing.

->> AI squads flee and surrender almost every time you attack their position with tanks platoons, aircrafts and heavy armed squads, plus enemies do even not try to resist, this feature is somehow realistic but it breaks almost all of BIS missions that combine all aspects of an armed force.

- Disabled APCs and Tanks deploying smoke walls feature:

->> This feature has been disabled in order to considerably increase the framerate level during huge missions.

- Disabled the Main Commander's MG feature: Although this feature is quite unique in OFP's world, it is unfortunately not optimized that well and this might cause some annoying issues during Tanks combats because of the following reasons:

->> When changing the ammunition type you are using, this feature tend to block the gunner's cannon during a couple of seconds, which might be behind your death.

->> The commander's MG does not use its own muzzle flashes when firing, but uses the gunner's ones, due to OFP's limitations (unlike ArmA).

As mentioned above, hijacking or removing these features have mainly be done in the aim to save BIS default missions, unless you would be against taking out these features and you are ready to live with the annoying issues related above, in this case, please let me know about it in this thread.

Regards,

TB

Although I'm a purist, I could live without all of those features except -suppressive fire. I know some people may not like the game forcing them to drop but I really find it exciting.IMO you should definitely be effected by gunfire all around you and it always seemed unrealistic to me when an enemy Ai acted liked he could care less that a gunner(s) has a bead on him. Especially if your taking out the fleeing/surrender feature.

One thing I noticed that I have the feeling is not being fixed by your fixes, is that in the "Rescue" mission of the original campaign, where you have to wait for the resistance fighters to destroy a tank, the tank is never destroyed.

I agree on what you state TB, but I do like the surrendering-feature. Its highly realistic.

Will the SLX-wind be included in your mod-mashup? And will the buildings be replaced? (hope not)

thx for the update.

TB , many of the features you have mentioned above are customizable in the SLX_GL3_settings .sqf like the apc deploying smoke, surpressive fire , surrendering , etc . i'd suggest you to leave them as optional for the final user instead of removing them

smile_o.gif

There are some things that I don't find very useful in SLX mod:

The burying the dead (why could I want to bury souless pixels??? confused_o.gif ).

Hand to hand combat ( If they shoot me from +300 meters how can I stabb them? crazy_o.gif ), besides it adds more comands that may be confusing when changing rate of fire or selecting things in the menu while in combat.

That grass... it drops FPS, it seems weird from the sky, if possible make an option to disable it.

That's it for now, everything else is cool. Thanks for this extra work of yours thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]The burying the dead (why could I want to bury souless pixels???

i think it is a nice and very well acomplished feature goodnight.gif you can't leave your team mates lying on the ground biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hand to hand combat

ideal for attacking a guard from the back silently and without been noticed wink_o.gif

I support all the removals in favor of being able to play through the single player campaigns without fear of the mod breaking them. Sure some of them are neat features but they're nothing I can't live without, especially if it means that I won't be able to play through the game with a whole new feel. Thanks for your effort!

Quote[/b] ]One thing I noticed that I have the feeling is not being fixed by your fixes, is that in the "Rescue" mission of the original campaign, where you have to wait for the resistance fighters to destroy a tank, the tank is never destroyed.

This happens randomly, the tank sometimes gets destroyed, sometimes not, but with the incoming FFUR/SLX combination MOD, the AI would get higher sensitivity values, and that would allow the AI to engage targets far beyond its normal range.

Quote[/b] ]Although I'm a purist, I could live without all of those features except -suppressive fire. I know some people may not like the game forcing them to drop but I really find it exciting

The same goes here, features like these are great for providing a realistic experience but I'm afraid it might be annoying in some cases, especially since some missions lacking logistical support require a high use of Anti-Tank rockets or missiles (Excluding the fact AI troops spend all of their magazines on 1 supposed target, AI AT units tend to spend all of their rockets on 1 supposed enemy position as well).

Quote[/b] ]I agree on what you state TB, but I do like the surrendering-feature. Its highly realistic.

The surrendering/fleeing scripts are based on the strength of the enemy, if the enemy is too powerful, the AI or the player automatically flee or surrender, sometimes without even firing 1 bullet.

Quote[/b] ]Hand to hand combat ( If they shoot me from +300 meters how can I stabb them? crazy_o.gif ), besides it adds more comands that may be confusing when changing rate of fire or selecting things in the menu while in combat.

I second that, after playing several hours with the SLX mod, I find this feature quite useless too, at least, for regular troops, it might make more sense for special troops, in my judgement, though.

Quote[/b] ]

That grass... it drops FPS, it seems weird from the sky, if possible make an option to disable it.

No worries, the SLX grass wouldn't be incorporated to the Extra Island pack.

Quote[/b] ]TB , many of the features you have mentioned above are customizable in the SLX_GL3_settings .sqf like the apc deploying smoke, surpressive fire , surrendering , etc . i'd suggest you to leave them as optional for the final user instead of removing them

Negative, several of SLX features aren't editable via the settings sqf file, (AI combat reactions, shouting, explosion effects, Tanks commander's MG, tanks deploying smoke wall and much more), these changes require being edited via the SLX_GL3.pbo scripts, otherwise the FFUR/SLX MOD would have already been released. ;-)

Quote[/b] ]Will the SLX-wind be included in your mod-mashup?

Indeed.

Quote[/b] ]And will the buildings be replaced? (hope not)

That would be optional, if it hasn't already been done by SamotH with his nice extra pack 2.

Btw, I just would like to inform you that a new and better optimized artillery/aircraft support feature would be available, (exclusively for squads leaders) to increase the immersion and the realism, today almost all of modern military doctrines focuse on the use of massive heavy artillerie troops in order to take advantage of suppression :

->> As a squad's leader, you can request the support of a wave of heavy bombing on an enemy position (preably set on the map), by choosing between bombers support or artillery one.

Regards,

TB

Thanks for FFUR, just some feedback on BIS mission:

Red Hammer campaign "alamo" mission, when 4th wave of attack is destroyed, a helo is suppose to come and pick the survivors, while 8 or more ennemy tanks are coming form the south.

Problem is the tanks engage and destroy the helo before it can land, those were supposed to be T60s in BIS campaigns.

My visibility is set to 2000m and "super AI" is disabled, i use FFUR+SLX1.09, dunno if this info is useful but just in case.

Single mission "clean sweep":

It's much more difficult in FFUR than with straight resistance game, probably because ennemy AI is more aware of us ?

Anyway i can make it, but my teammates are dead long before, and the helo won't come for me alone...

Also in this misison i use the ACOG sight, and it seems i have tu use the mark just below center to aim, instead of center cross, is it intended to work this way ?

Thanks again !

Thunderbird, make sure the AI arn't too sensative! tounge2.gif

And those feture you say your taking out are just the ones that sometimes muck up missions. Sounds PERFECT if you just don't make the AI 100% deadly!

WGL had just the right amount of AI accuracy, check something of that out. It was potluck if someone hit you after you fired at them, as it seemed like they paniced and it took a few seconds to start firing accuratly again, and even then they could only shoot about as accuratly as (from lowest skill setting to highest) me on a range (with glasses :P) to a "skilled" soldier pistols.gif

Would u add a realistic tank shell drop in your future release [i mean the abilty to be

able to see the shell/round droping on the target

Hey T.B. A guy called Abraham Lincoln once said "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time" take a tip from him and make the mod how you want it. If you keep reading all these suggestion's you will never finish the mod wink_o.gif I personaly think the mod's great whichever way it get's "tweaked"

Hey T.B. A guy called Abraham Lincoln once said "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time" take a tip from him and make the mod how you want it. If you keep reading all these suggestion's  you will never finish the mod wink_o.gif I personaly think the mod's great whichever way it get's "tweaked"

I'll second that action man.  TB can do no wrong.  No matter what FFUR will be awesome, just some people may prefer one or two things to be a little different, but love the mod nontheless.  Addon/mod creating is an art and the artist's number one customer is himself. With that being said, I still think it is always a good thing to read comments to get ideas, inspiration, fix bugs,push the limits of FFUR, and make the mod as high quality as possible.

Oh and thanks for the help TB with my problem.  I havent had the chance to try it out again, but I am confident that was the solution because my soud card drivers were extremely old.  (I bought the comp last October and the drivers it came with for the sound card were from 2004.)

Hi TB or anyone

How can i get your MG tracer to work on other unit without having to alter ther config

eg laser or ukf troups

I am using fiir and slx config

I think the tracers and their effects are great

hey TB , as this ffur slx is not intended to be multiplayer , would it be possible to add the ecp dsai system to the mod, i sincerely think that is the final detail that it lacks to be the perfect mod , the amount of atmosphere it creates is incomparable , but if it is too complicated i will understand thumbs-up.gif

Any luck finding the problem some of us are getting with the WHITE BLOCKS seemingly due to missing textures in the foiliage??

Or is it not being worried about since only a handful of us seem to be reporting the problem?

Just wondering since i have yet to be able to use the EXTRA packs.

TB, whatever you do, make sure you keep SLX's hand grenade throwing animation in.

Quote[/b] ]Problem is the tanks engage and destroy the helo before it can land, those were supposed to be T60s in BIS campaigns.

I noticed this issue too, some tweaks would be needed to fix that, probably by changing tanks's MGs range values or slightly increasing their dispersion values.

Quote[/b] ]Also in this misison i use the ACOG sight, and it seems i have tu use the mark just below center to aim, instead of center cross, is it intended to work this way ?

It all depends on the distance from where you aim at the enemy, the longer it is, the higher you aim.

Quote[/b] ][i mean the abilty to be

able to see the shell/round droping on the target

Maybe yes, maybe no, it is not a primary objective at the moment, but if time would allow it, I'd consider implementing this FX.

Quote[/b] ]Hey T.B. A guy called Abraham Lincoln once said "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time" take a tip from him and make the mod how you want it. If you keep reading all these suggestion's you will never finish the mod wink_o.gif I personaly think the mod's great whichever way it get's "tweaked"

Heh, thanks for the advice, it is indeed not that easy to satisfie everyone, but best to try. ;-), overall, people's suggestions are relevant, but need to be developed, without people's suggestions and feedbacks, the mod would certainly have never been that far.

Quote[/b] ]I'll second that action man. TB can do no wrong. No matter what FFUR will be awesome,

Thanks.

Quote[/b] ]How can i get your MG tracer to work on other unit without having to alter ther config

eg laser or ukf troups

INV44 Mod is behind these awesome tracers, I just slightly edited'em to make them looking brighter in-game,

If you want to implement them to a specific unit, then unpbo the wanted addon, open its config.cpp and find the concerned unit's class, once you get it, give a look at the class's eventhandlers definitions, they are usually set in the bottom:

First, check out the class eventhandlers, if it already has a "Init=..." line, then erase the last '"' in front of sqs/sqf, and copy and paste the following line beside it (it = ")

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_this exec {\ffur_effects\tracers\EH_tank_init.sqs}";

In order to get something more or less similar to this

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">...;_this exec {\ffur_effects\tracers\EH_tank_init.sqs}";

if there is no "Init" line in the class eventhandlers, then copy and paste the following line inside the class eventhandlers, just between { and };

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">init="_this exec {\ffur_effects\tracers\EH_tank_init.sqs}";

Then you would have to follow the same way to add the line below, but this time, not to "Init=" but to "Fired=",

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">fired="_this call loadFile {\ffur_effects\tracers\EH_tank_fired.sqf}";

Once it is done, save your config and don't forget to move or copy/paste the "ffur_effects.pbo" into the same addons folder which contains your addon.

Quote[/b] ]hey TB , as this ffur slx is not intended to be multiplayer , would it be possible to add the ecp dsai system to the mod, i sincerely think that is the final detail that it lacks to be the perfect mod , the amount of atmosphere it creates is incomparable , but if it is too complicated i will understand

Honestly, now there is a way to incorporate the DSAI system to the FFUR/SLX Mod, not by using the ECP way, but the SLX one, which might require dozens of hard man-work due to the amount of voices to define and implement, it is just a matter of time which is seriously lacking here, moreover it isn't that necessary because the SLX "shouting feature" as solus defined, works so far good.

Quote[/b] ]TB, whatever you do, make sure you keep SLX's hand grenade throwing animation in.

Sure.

Btw, here are a couple of shots showing how the "Air support" feature works in game:

Mission Pathfinder (The mission that requires the destruction of the 2 shilkas) from the CWC campaign:

First, if you are not the squad's leader, you have the possibility to get close to your squad's leader in order to use his radio to call the air support:

136313832pl.jpg

A message will appear on the top left of your screen asking for the enemy's position to strike:

2-2.jpg

Another message confirming your request and the enemy's position will also appear on the right corner of the map, after 1 minute of waiting and a few radio messages coming from the bomber's pilot, comes the show...

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

But I suggest to moderately and use and enjoy this feature, better use it only if really needed.

;-)

Regards,

TB